Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Hundreds - Kit & kit check

Author: Bill Milbourne
Posted: Sat 18th May 2019, 16:06
Local Group: Northumbria
To remind everyone, this is what it says in the rules.
You will notice that the rules do not waffle on about different types of trousers, but you must have a waterproof top and waterproof trousers with you. Similarly, you are only required to have one spare warm long-sleeve top of your own choice

Rule 8.1 The mandatory kit that is required for your safety is:
• Route Description for the entire route from the start*
This must be the official route description of the event and can be in:Paper form and kept waterproof OR
Can include an electronic version provided durability and adequate power supply for 48 hours can be
demonstrated if requested by a marshal.
• Maps for the entire route from the start*. as specified in 9 below.
• Waterproof Jacket (with taped seams and hood) and Waterproof trousers or Waterproof over-trousers.
• An additional upper body layer to be worn or carried e.g. Long-sleeved Base Layer / Fleece.
• Hat (not Buff/Bandana) and Gloves.
• Compass graduated with degrees on dial (not mils). This can include an electronic device provided adequate power for 48 hours can be demonstrated if requested by a marshal.
• A working whistle.
• A working torch with spare batteries sufficient for 2 nights and spare bulb if not an LED device.
• A survival bag or space bag (not a space blanket).
• First Aid kit, which at a minimum must include plasters, adhesive dressing, antiseptic wipes, fixation tape and
low adherent dressing.
• Emergency food.
• A resealable drinks container, minimum size 0.5 litre.
• Reflective clothing or reflective markers on backpacks. These must be visible when walking at night.

(In my view a power pack would classify as a spare battery for one or more device.You must show that you have adequate power for the whole 48 hours for all your devices. and have a spare power source in the event of failure)
Author: Bill Milbourne
Posted: Sat 18th May 2019, 16:06
Local Group: Northumbria
To remind everyone, this is what it says in the rules.
You will notice that the rules do not waffle on about different types of trousers, but you must have a waterproof top and waterproof trousers with you. Similarly, you are only required to have one spare warm long-sleeve top of your own choice top

Rule 8.1 The mandatory kit that is required for your safety is:
• Route Description for the entire route from the start*
This must be the official route description of the event and can be in:Paper form and kept waterproof OR
Can include an electronic version provided durability and adequate power supply for 48 hours can be
demonstrated if requested by a marshal.
• Maps for the entire route from the start*. as specified in 9 below.
• Waterproof Jacket (with taped seams and hood) and Waterproof trousers or Waterproof over-trousers.
• An additional upper body layer to be worn or carried e.g. Long-sleeved Base Layer / Fleece.
• Hat (not Buff/Bandana) and Gloves.
• Compass graduated with degrees on dial (not mils). This can include an electronic device provided adequate power for 48 hours can be demonstrated if requested by a marshal.
• A working whistle.
• A working torch with spare batteries sufficient for 2 nights and spare bulb if not an LED device.
• A survival bag or space bag (not a space blanket).
• First Aid kit, which at a minimum must include plasters, adhesive dressing, antiseptic wipes, fixation tape and
low adherent dressing.
• Emergency food.
• A resealable drinks container, minimum size 0.5 litre.
• Reflective clothing or reflective markers on backpacks. These must be visible when walking at night.

(In my view a power pack would classify as a spare battery for one or more device.You must show that you have adequate power for the whole 48 hours for all your devices. and have a spare power source in the event of failure)
Author: James Russell
Posted: Sat 18th May 2019, 13:07
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Apologies, I have done a search and don't think this particular point has been raised elsewhere.

My headtorch has a built-in rechargeable battery. Would the requirement for 'spare batteries' for the torch be met by the fact that I will be carrying a high-capacity (49Wh / 13600mah) power pack which I will use to recharge the torch during the second day? Or do I actually need to buy a specific spare battery for the torch?
Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Wed 23rd May 2018, 10:26
Local Group: West Yorkshire
There were also queries about maps on facebook.

Just to clarify - anything which is required as kit should be with you at all times. Breakfast bags used as extra back up. The team will obviously do all they can to get all the bags there, but there are unfortunately times when they go astray for a while.

So
• Maps and route description are required to be carried from the start and for the duration (and it’s acceptable for items to be discarded at checkpoints or breakfast bag relating to the part of the route which has already been completed)
• You should have sufficient battery power for your light for the second night (even if you think you will be finished before dark on Sunday)
• You shouldn’t put essential safety things (like spare batteries) in your breakfast bag
• Waterproof trousers are one of the forms of trousers which are accepted if you wear shorts
Posted: Wed 23rd May 2018, 10:22
Waterproof trousers are acceptable as a trousers if you wear shorts
Author: John Pennifold
Posted: Tue 22nd May 2018, 10:49
Local Group: London
That section on trousers changed in the last few years. It used to say "Trousers to be carried in shorts are worn" but it now says "Trousers to be carried if shorts are worn. They can include tracksters, running tights AND waterproof trousers."
It seems very ambiguous now. To me that says you can carry tracksters or running tights or waterproof trousers. But if you're already required to carry waterproof trousers as part of the rules on waterproofs then this whole paragraph becomes redundant. However, I'm sure that what's intended is that you carry waterproof trousers AND some other form of full leg cover. This would need to be worded as "Trousers to be carried if shorts are worn. They can include trousers, tracksters and running tights. Waterproof trousers are to be carried in addition to these."
The problem with the wording lies in the comma in "... include tracksters, running tights ...". The comma can imply "and" or "or" and the use of either completely changes the meaning of the whole sentence.
"They can include tracksters and running tights AND waterproof trousers."
Is not the same as
"They can include tracksters or running tights AND waterproof trousers."
Author: Roderick Smith
Posted: Tue 22nd May 2018, 10:31
Local Group: London
If you wear shorts please remember the nettles are well- advanced !! Are your legs sting-proof ?
Author: Mark Edwards
Posted: Tue 22nd May 2018, 10:26
Local Group: Merseystride
Just shows how difficult it can be to write unambiguously.

I always see ambiguity in the requirement for "A working torch with spare batteries and bulb if not an LED device". It is clear that if a torch is not LED, it needs both spare batteries and bulb. If it is LED then you don't need a bulb. But if it is LED do you need spare batteries? Not that this really matters to me, as I will take spare batteries for an LED torch.
Author: Keir Williams
Posted: Tue 22nd May 2018, 10:14
Local Group: Kent
"Trousers to be carried if shorts are worn. They can include tracksters, running tights AND waterproof trousers."

I read that as waterproof trouser are a valid option. I would have thought the the wording would say "NOT waterproof trousers." otherwise. However I'm not certain.
Author: Mark Edwards
Posted: Tue 22nd May 2018, 10:11
Local Group: Merseystride
The rules say "Trousers to be carried if shorts are worn. They can include tracksters, running tights AND waterproof trousers."

So I would not rely on shorts + waterproofs only, and will be bringing some tracksters/tights. Given the weather forecast, I fully expect shorts to be comfortable all night.
Author: Keir Williams
Posted: Tue 22nd May 2018, 9:05
Local Group: Kent
On that subject - please could you confirm that if I am wearing short, it is sufficient to carry waterproof trousers and I do not necessarly need to carry additional trousers. Thanks
Posted: Mon 21st May 2018, 22:55
I have the (dubious?) honour of leading the kit check team. Please please please check you have all the kit with you at all times and are not sharing it, know how to use it etc etc. I really don't want to disqualify anyone! Looking forward to seeing you all somewhere along the route ....

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law