Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - Pilgrim Walk

Posted: Wed 4th Apr 2007, 17:48
<Your route: The Mendip Way ends a long way from the North Downs Way, which starts in Farnham>

Even if you followed the route provided by the cathedral booklet at Winchester, it might do you even less good!

How would you get from Somerset to Winchester?

Camping in May is pretty darn cold.
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Sat 18th Nov 2006, 22:02
Local Group: Surrey
Hi Norma
A lot depends on how you are travelling. B + B requires a different strategy to camping. If you are B + Bing, you may have to book in advance, though May is probably low season. Others will be able to comment more authoritatively on this. I have walked the West Highland Way, the Cotswold Way, and the South Downs Way doing wild camping. The great advantage of wild camping is that you can go just as far as you like every day. SDW and WHW were easy, with many suitable tent spots. The Cotswold Way was more difficult, but still worked out. The disadvantage of camping is weight. However, I found that with tent, sleeping bag, food and clothing, I was able to get my pack weight down to 13 kg. On the WHW (the first LD trail I did) I carried 22 kg and really suffered. As John says, keep the weight to an absolute minimum. If you are B + Bing, you can wash clothes at night, and hang them over your pack during the day to dry while you walk.

Food: you will be astonished at how little you eat. I found that 200g cheese and 200g dates (all I carried for food) per day was too much. I had to force myself to eat. A piece of fruit every day is pleasant. After the WHW I never carried a stove, and having everything cold was not a problem. Hot tea and hot soup is nice, but not at the cost of lugging an extra pound and a half or two pounds on your back for 200 miles.

Your biggest problem may be water. Long distance trails, by their natures, stay away from towns. The Cotswold Way goes through a few villages, but on one day I had to ask for water from a pub, and on another from a tea room (it was Sunday and all the shops were shut).

Your route: The Mendip Way ends a long way from the North Downs Way, which starts in Farnham. If you went up the Cotswold Way from Bath to near Stroud, then went east, you could reach the Thames Path near Kemble. The Thames Path will take you right across England, and has the great advantage of a lot of water points. Most lockhouses have outside taps for the riverboats (run the water for a while before filling your bottle.) Camping could be a problem, especially in the lower reaches. There are a few official campsites. All my walking on the Thames Path has been in day walks, so I have not considered it from an accommodation point of view. From Weybridge on the Thames Path you could go south down the Wey Navigation to Guildford and join the North Downs Way. I have walked the NDW in day walks as far as the Medway, and I think with careful planning you can get enough water every day. South of the Medway is terra incognita to me, but it looks pretty straightforward.

Daily distances: this is really a matter of personal choice (and the weight of your pack). If you walk with the LDWA, you should be able to put away 25 miles a day comfortably, day after day, provided your feet hold out. On multi-day walks I find that I feel shattered after the first day, really shattered after the second day, but on the third and subsequent days, I can walk from dawn till dusk at a good pace, and it is only the deteriorating condition of my feet which slows me down.

Hope this helps

Elton
Author: Paul Lawrence
Posted: Mon 13th Nov 2006, 17:25
Local Group: London
Norma, I've emailed you some informstion on route options and websites and good wishes for the walk.
Posted: Fri 27th Oct 2006, 8:18
When I cycled from John O'Groats to Lands End last year we started off trying to save the coppers by staying in a few hostels. These were good for a basic bed for the night but then we found the next morning that by the time we had bought breakfast (that you will need if you are excercising) it was nearly the cost of a B&B anyway. Plus with a B&B you do not have to share rooms and showers etc so quickly discovered this to be the best option. It will be a good idea to take a walking weekend away before you go to gauge how far you will be walking each day, You will therefore be able to book accommodation in advance even if only the day before. Places shouldn't be too booked up in May (unless you are travelling over bank holiday weekends!) but it is very demoralising to find you've got to walk an extra few miles to find a room for the night.
Author: John Cunnane
Posted: Tue 26th Sep 2006, 21:50
Local Group: South Wales
Norma,

Whatever you do, keep your rucsac load down to the absolute minimum. Keep in mind that you are able to re-stock with food etc at frequent intervals, and you must not carry stuff that you don't need as each extra pound will drag you down and impede your progress. I learnt this from doing the Camino de Santiago in France and Spain (four different routes between 1999 and 2003) - other "peregrinos" (pilgrims) will confirm my advice I'm sure.

Keep the clothing down - do you really need four changes of clothing - or can you wash/visit launderettes en route?

Very best wishes for your project.

Regards,

John.
Posted: Tue 26th Sep 2006, 13:11
I'm planning to walk from my home in Somerset to Canterbury (c.200 miles) next May.
I shall be starting from the West Mendip Way and then hopefully go on via the North Downs Way.
I'd appreciate any advice on theroute, terrain and conditions, also any tips on suitable accommodation would be especially welcome.I haven't done a multi-day walk before, so I'll need all the help I can get.
TIA
Norma Parfitt

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law