Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Insoles coming loose in the wet

Author: Simon Pipe
Posted: Tue 5th Jun 2018, 8:46
Local Group: Heart of England
A fabulously helpful response, Peter. I need some time to clear my brain before filling it up again with GPS and insoles!
Author: Peter Steckles
Posted: Sun 27th May 2018, 23:26
Local Group: East Lancashire
Hi Simon

Not sure what sort of insoles you have, assume they are thin, same thickness from back to front? I think these are usually stuck in by the manufacturer, possibly using spray adhesive, certainly fitted when the inner is pristine and hasn't been subjected to ingress of dust, water, cow excrement, and other things that might make re-sticking the insole more difficult. Also, if these are the ones you have, they do tend to loose their integrity (they buckle up) after they have been wet and dried a few times.

I have used full length insoles such as these sucessfully

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PRO-11-WELLBEING-Orthotic-Metatarsal/dp/B00TSWJS8G/ref=cts_sh_2_vtp

I have no vested interest in any of these things, and the claims they make for curing all ills are quite staggering... There are many available - from quite reasonable in price, to absolute rip off, so Google wisely before you buy

I use a stiff hand brush to brush out all the loose debris from inside the shoe after they have been washed inside with a hosepipe and after they have dried. Also use a dry cloth to get right into the toe box. Perhaps use an airline at the petrol station after blowing your tires up to clear the dust etc.

I wouldn't be afraid to use spray adhesive to hold them in place. If you wish to remove them in the future, just grab the insole like you meant it and you will get it out.

These have a rigid body to them, and shouldn't double up inside your shoe. The glue is to stop them sliding about. If you do this, glue them in place then put the shoes on, lace them up and walk about in them before the glue sets. This way the insole will be at the back of the shoe and won't cause any friction by 'pinching' around the back of your heel.

Also, try them try before you glue them. If they crowd your toes in the shoe toe box, then consider cutting the toe part of the insole away, to create a 3/4 insole. This way your toes can drop down into the space left by the cut away. You only have so much depth in the front of a shoe, and if you fill it with insole, then your toes will suffer. If you do go 3/4 then you can still glue it into the shoe, at the back as with a full length insole.

Here is a link to a 3/4 insole if you need the depth and don't wish to cut a full length insole down to 3/4

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PRO-11-WELLBEING-Wellbeing-Treatment/dp/B00VX9QWFE/ref=cts_sh_1_vtp

Hope this helps Simon.

Regards

Peter
Author: Andy Carpenter
Posted: Sun 20th May 2018, 23:03
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
Hi Simon
I've found exactly the same problem! In fact, I've just been in communication with Brooks (as it was their shoes it happened in), but whilst they were refreshingly interested in the issue, they weren't able to offer a real solution. They suggested double-sided tape, but my concern is that the sort of conditions that allow this issue to happen in the first place (i.e. wetness) is just as likely to cause the tape to fail too, meaning that now we'd not only have a wandering insole, but also a bit of wadded-up tape in there too!! They also suggested trying after-market insoles (they don't make replacement soles themselves). I've tried sorbothane ones (very gell'y padded soles), which certainly feel heavy enough to probably prevent movement, but were simply too heavy to be comfortable (it felt like they'd almost doubled the weight of the shoes!!).
I may try some "Hitec Comfort" ones next. I did a price-blind test of a bunch of insoles a couple of years ago, and these ones were the ones that my feet seemed to like the most. (And, for a refreshing change in such a test, they turned out to be the cheapest ones.) No idea if they're resistant to movement, but I've used them on & off for a while in some of my shoes and it's never been an issue yet, so I may well get a new set of them to use in my Brooks shoes.
One solution I'm also considering is simply using insoles from other shoes (e.g. from Salomons, say) that I happen to already own, to see if they work better. Another option is maybe using spray glue inside the shoe (I don't expect (or particularly want) it to firmly glue the insole in place, but rather to merely increase the tackiness of the shoe to inhibit insole-movement).

So, no specific answers to your question, I know. But hopefully something above may be of use/interest to you. In the meantime please do shout out if you find a solution!

Cheers,
Andy
Author: Simon Pipe
Posted: Sun 20th May 2018, 19:49
Local Group: Heart of England
Any advice, please, regarding insoles working loose?

I'm concerned by talk of lots of dew-soaked grass on the hundred. On last year's Cotswold Challenge the insoles of my trail shoes kept working loose in the wet and moving around inside the shoes. Very frustrating. I think I had heel inserts in for extra padding, which may have initiated the loosening. With very ground hard likely on the Cinque Ports, I'd quite like the extra heel padding - but may have to forego it.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law