Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Hundreds - Self clip stations

Author: Matthew Parkhouse
Posted: Tue 29th May 2018, 16:12
Local Group: Norfolk & Suffolk
Thanks Deirdre!

It was such a well organised event and I found the self clips OK! I do need to say thank you to the checkpoint staff at Deal who helped when I got there as I felt very unwell.

Hopefully my feet have recovered by next year :-)
Author: Deirdre Flegg
Posted: Tue 29th May 2018, 14:30
Local Group: Dorset
Matthew, Glad to see you finished. Well done. Be aware that it is addictive, however...
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Thu 24th May 2018, 18:24
And there is something very reassuring about finding the self clip at night. It is also an amusing social event.. I will clip your tally, if you can reach mine.
Posted: Thu 24th May 2018, 14:41
Actually, I like self clips ! There is a genuine purpose to them, related to safety and route finding. Walkers who go "off route" (it does not matter why) may need to be found in an emergency. And they may be exposing themselves (and the LDWA) to unknown hazards e.g a blind corner on a fast road

So, it is not about catching out walkers who take shortcuts. The organisers of the 100 have a duty of care . They have to show that they have tried to ensure that walkers stay on the prescribed route. This is the route has been risk assessed, and where landowners have been informed in advance.

Self clips (better described as "passage control'') help this process. It is an aid to concentration (walkers) and helps the organisers know roughly where people will be.
Author: Bill Lancashire
Posted: Thu 24th May 2018, 10:27
Local Group: South Wales
I hate self-clips particularly at night time. Personally I don't see the point. If it is simply to prevent people taking short cuts then such people should ask themselves if they really want to do the event or not.
Author: Peter Jull
Posted: Wed 23rd May 2018, 22:28
Local Group: Kent
They'll be laminated A4 fluorescent yellow. C will be on some handrails and the others beside gates before you go through. They say Safety Control to discourage Muggles from interfering with them.
Posted: Wed 23rd May 2018, 13:11
Thanks Deirdre I appreciate your response. I'm really looking forward to it!
Author: Deirdre Flegg
Posted: Wed 23rd May 2018, 12:49
Matthew-providing you are on route, they will be readily visible, with a named sign giving the clip number or letter, and some clippers swinging below. Usually prominently attached to a gate/stile/post, and with some sort of hi viz for spotting if it is likely to be a night section. Your tally will have a section with all the clipper letters/numbers on and you just clip the correct one. I have never failed to find one.

Welcome to the 100. May this be the first of many for you!
Posted: Wed 23rd May 2018, 12:24
This is my first 100 so apologies, what do the self clip points look like? Are they easily identifiable?
Posted: Fri 18th May 2018, 18:41
Typo in my previous post. All locations are now correct.
Author: Keir Williams
Posted: Thu 17th May 2018, 12:37
Updated route description seems to show Self Clip B in same place, but C moved slightly further along the route.
Author: Phil Bedson
Posted: Wed 16th May 2018, 17:50
Local Group: East Lancashire
When will this change be announced please??
Posted: Mon 14th May 2018, 13:44
There are 5. The exact location of Self Clip B will change slightly so wait for the Final route description.
Posted: Sun 13th May 2018, 20:51
Jeff

Yes, there are several.

They are noted in the route description now on the CP100 website.
Author: Jeff Stevens
Posted: Sun 13th May 2018, 20:31
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Hi there
Are there any self clips this year and if so where can I check them out.
Many thanks jeff

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law