Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Website Development - Strider (on website): flash?

Author: Geoff Crowder
Posted: Thu 29th Nov 2018, 10:22
Local Group: South Manchester
"Flash is outdated and insecure."

Indeed, an understatement!. I've been in software for 45 years and even I can't understand how a single utility can have such copious security holes, they are constantly being patched by the bucketload. Unless there is a vital usage case where it's absolutely necessary, it shouldn't even be installed.
On my systems without Flash, it does display after a fashion but it's almost useless. It's in a tiny font and advancing through the pages doesn't work properly - it jumps several pages at a time.

I understand the basic difficulty with online Strider, which is trying to ensure that it can only be read by members, which precludes a plain PDF. I haven't yet investigated suitable methods that are truly cross-platform, I think I will shortly when I have time.
Author: Bill Lancashire
Posted: Thu 29th Nov 2018, 8:40
Local Group: South Wales
Flash is outdated and insecure. Getting things like this right should be higher priority than changing other things connected with the Association that Members have not asked for.
Author: John Barry
Posted: Wed 28th Nov 2018, 10:47
Local Group: Anytime Anywhere
forget my query. I read another post and one needs 'Flash' which is only supported by Firefox. It works fine there.
Author: John Barry
Posted: Wed 28th Nov 2018, 10:35
Local Group: Anytime Anywhere
Folks,

I'm new to the LDWA and I just signed up for the online Strider. But I'm unable to view it using Internet Explorer or Chrome (Windows 7). Is there some 'trick' to get it to appear in a readable format?

John
Author: Bill Lancashire
Posted: Thu 1st Mar 2018, 16:38
Local Group: South Wales
I agree. It would certainly be preferable to have an alternative to 'Flash'.
Author: Allan G H Gould
Posted: Thu 1st Mar 2018, 12:36
Local Group: Nidderdale
Flash might be considered to be old-hat and insecure. Isn't it time Flash was dropped as a medium for Striders on the website?
Why not use pdf. I know there's possibly a DRM issue with pdf (and people share issues as pdf with their friends and thus avoiding having to pay subs), but maybe this could be overcome by putting a time-lag (e.g. only put pdf Striders on the website after 6 months after publication etc).
There may be a cross-platform compatibility consideration (software and hardware), but pdfs are pretty widely readable in many formats etc.
Just my 2p's worth: only a little thought. Thanks for all the work on Stider & the website: they're pretty good really!

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law