Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - Waterproof socks

Author: Neil Bromley
Posted: Thu 25th Jan 2018, 22:03
Local Group: Heart of England
There is, of course, an alternative. Smother your feet in Sudocrem (waterproof and thick enough not to wash off) then wear your usual socks and shoes. If you're prone to blistering, could make it difficult to get a plaster to stick unless you carry an alcoholic wipe, but I suspect the cream reduces the rubbing likely to induce blisters in the first place. Fine for WT 40 last week with no blisters or trench feet - just extremely cold tootsies! If this product has been proven to waterproof countless million babies' bottoms it's good enough for my feet!
Author: Andy Carpenter
Posted: Thu 25th Jan 2018, 19:40
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
Cheers Helen! I wore my Sealskinz for two-thirds of the WT40 too, and they leaked like a sieve. Maybe they're simply holed. Someone I was chatting to on the event said that in his opinion they're fine when new but easiest damaged, and you'd be lucky to get 150 miles out of them. Mine are newer than that, and still not working, but I have put them through the machine... (Sealskinz say that they should survive this, but the guy on the event said it was better to not do that.) May give the mid-mids a try, and see how long they last if I don't machine wash them or "abuse" them in any other way! :-) Ta. Andy.
Author: Helen Abbott
Posted: Wed 24th Jan 2018, 7:59
Local Group: Thames Valley
I did use Sealskinz on the WT 40 mile route, out for over 14 hours with shoes which were not reliably waterproof and quickly became sodden, and had completely dry feet at the end. That was the 3rd serious walk where I had worn the Sealskinz. The exact type was mid weight and mid height.
Posted: Tue 23rd Jan 2018, 23:57
Cheers Richard, shall check those out.

Anyone else out there got any recommendations I can look at?
Author: Richard Haynes
Posted: Tue 23rd Jan 2018, 20:40
Local Group: Essex & Herts
I have also found that waterproof socks are not quite as effective as I'd hoped but are still better than conventional wear.
I'm presently trying OTTER socks (other waterproof mammals available) and these are slightly less expensive and so far more durable than the Sealskins.
From Amazon FCL RAN.
Posted: Sun 21st Jan 2018, 23:41
Hi! I've experimented with waterproof socks (by Sealskinz, Dexshell, etc), and - whilst they tend to work for a few hours (especially when they're new!) - I've yet to find any that work for any longer than that.
I know that some people have had great results with them, and plenty of others (like me) haven't.
So, can anyone recommend any to me that they believe work? I'm after specifics - i.e. brand & particular model, for ones that are available to buy now. (No point in recommending ones that can't be bought anymore!)
Cheers all.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law