Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Red Rose 54

Author: Gordon Teal
Posted: Mon 18th Sep 2017, 16:09
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Hi
Very good event - well organised and the check points well staffed with good selection of food. Thank you for this challenge walk. The night walking especially from Darwen Tower was the most challenging. Interesting that you now have called it Red Rose 54 - as it was sold as 50, became 52 from what we were told at the checkpoints and my GPS gave a final figure of 55. Other people with GPS also had the figure of 55 - will the name change to Red Rose 55?
Author: Alan Warrington
Posted: Mon 18th Sep 2017, 14:27
Local Group: Thames Valley
Absolutely FANTASTIC! - and that was just the volunteers and team that had clearly planned and delivered what could, with a few tweaks, quite easily become a very popular 'classic adventure'.
Choice of nutrition at all checkpoints & HQ was spot on.
Lovely part of the world with clear distant views and lots of historical interest en-route.
Thought it quite nice to include a shorter distance walk option for those less able (to do longer route).
A tough route for sure. However, that's what 'Challenge' walks are all about.
WELL DONE :-)
Author: Iain Connell
Posted: Sun 17th Sep 2017, 16:55
Local Group: East Lancashire
Another impressive piece of collective organisation from E Lancs, and a model for how a 50 (maybe minus the four and perhaps without the 28) can work. Other groups might take note, and the single-50 idea may spread to the rest of the country. (Those who think there are too many longer-distance events in 'the north' - do one in 'the south' then!). The route was an adapted version of the Red Rose 100, so by 2020 or so next year's hundred could similarly evolve into a 'Kent 50'.

Shame about the mud, which may be local to the West Pennines - hear in the South (Pennines) it's not yet been so bad. The high proportion of withdrawals may have been down to the under-foot conditions. (Two years ago at this time, I was reminded, was a heatwave.)

Congratulations to all involved for an event without (so far as I'm aware) any major problems.

Iain
Author: David J Hooper
Posted: Sun 17th Sep 2017, 10:22
Local Group: Cornwall & Devon
Well what can I say a great and challenging route was in store for us yesterday, the rain stayed away and gave us some amazing panoramas.

The checkpoints were well socked with everything we needed and the marshals were amazing.

East Lancs did a great job and invited feedback from us to enable them to improve for next year.

Well done to the team and all those who took part.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law