Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - Is it safe to reuse a cheap one-use water bottle

Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Mon 9th Oct 2017, 10:26
Local Group: Mid Wales
A Fairy Liquid bottle (other makes are available!), near unbreakable plastic and a good shape for fitting in side pockets, being slightly flattened + a squirty spout. They wash out well and don't taste of washing up liquid.

My recommendation.
Author: Michael Jones
Posted: Sun 8th Oct 2017, 21:06
Local Group: Heart of England
I use the same "single use" plastic bottle for maybe 6 months or so; most bottles are shaped so there are one or two places which are almost impossible to reach with a brush, so after a while the dirt starts to build up in those and makes me think it might be time to replace the bottle. I've never suffered any ill-effects from this reuse, so I presume it is safe.
Author: Kevin Thomas
Posted: Tue 3rd Oct 2017, 17:07
Local Group: Calderdale
I only use 'single use' plastic water bottles when walking. When walking in the Alps in summer I buy a 1.5 litre bottle of water then keep refilling it as needed, without any sterilising such as those who use bladders perform. I will refill them 10 to 15 times over a couple of weeks - they are remarkably robust - and I have not suffered any ill effects. As long as the tap water is potable buying new bottles is unnecessary and wasteful.
Author: John Pennifold
Posted: Thu 6th Jul 2017, 8:37
Local Group: London
Here's a little video from the BBC, which comes to the conclusion that it's generally Ok, as long as you wash it and it's not damaged.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/health-40513613/is-it-safe-to-reuse-your-water-bottle

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law