Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Scarborough - Whitby Cinder Track

Author: Ian Hull
Posted: Tue 20th Jun 2017, 20:54
Local Group: South Pennine
The proposal to transfer management of the Cinder Track to Sustrans was featured on tonight's BBC Look North programme : about half way through if you view through i-player (available til 2pm on 21/6)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08vd57c/look-north-yorkshire-evening-news-20062017

A poorly considered proposal to tarmac over & thereby ruin what is / was a lovely path connecting RHB & Whitby to create a cycling race track for let's face it mostly middle aged blokes on a two wheeled ego trip to the detriment of anybody else who happens to be in the way .

There is a petition you can sign online though it's probably a done deal as the council look to cut costs & path maintenance is for them a very low priority .

https://www.change.org/p/scarborough-borough-council-save-our-cinder-track
Author: John Dally
Posted: Fri 16th Jun 2017, 8:33
Local Group: East Yorkshire
My information is that this trail, and many similar trails, comes under the auspices of Sustrans and I assume that non-cyclists are tolerated under sufferance. I am not local to the area, but visit it and use the track on a regular basis and am assured that local people have expressed concern on many levels. I think that, as usual, the brown stuff will hit the fan when people realise that should these plans go ahead there could be safety issues for non-cyclists; it is almost inevitable there will be collisions.
I would point out that I cycle as well as walk, but the speeding up of trails like this causes me concern
Author: Raymond Wilkes
Posted: Wed 14th Jun 2017, 15:15
Local Group: West Yorkshire
You could try an objection with the local council and write to the press
I agree in principle with SUSTRANs aspiration to improve off road cycling, but what is green about covering old railways and canal towpaths with tarmac?
They need challenging!
Author: John Dally
Posted: Tue 13th Jun 2017, 18:15
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Is anyone aware of what appears to be happening to the Scarborough - Whitby Cinder Track which is currently shared by cyclists and walkers alike. I do not pretend to be in possession of all the facts, but I am assured that it is a done deal with local councils that Sustrans is to 'improve' the track by cutting back vegetation (widening) and tarmacking so that it will in the eyes of many cyclists effectively become a cycle racetrack.
The Cinder Track at present is used by cylists - many with young children - and walkers. If it is to be turned into a racetrack, then where do we as walkers stand legally if we are clattered by a speeding cyclist. Any info would be welcomed, especially if anyone knows of similar plans elsewhere by Sustrans

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law