Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - NYM100 Thank you

Author: Louise Whittaker
Posted: Mon 5th Jun 2017, 21:03
Local Group: Staffordshire
Yes - a big thank you. A lovely route circling through the Howardian Hills, up over the moors; out to the coast; the big dip into Littlebeck; the lovely sound and smell of a steam train at Goathland; and on. Thank you to the great company of other participants, some I walked with for a short distances; others longer distances. Thank you to the great party that pulled me through the second night from Stape to Thornton-le-dale. Checkpointers - you are very special people - the hot weather destroyed my appetite - but you were not to be beaten - and tried hard to find something I could eat - and always encouraging. Checkpoint locations were good - and if it had been wet weather - all would have given proper shelter. Thank you to all the volunteers who have given of their time over the last few years to make this event possible. Really appreciated. So glad the weather was dry so we could amble along enjoying the views. I discovered - you really don't have to rush along to complete a 100.
Author: John Dally
Posted: Sun 4th Jun 2017, 10:39
Local Group: East Yorkshire
I totally agree with all that has been said, especially regarding checkpoints and the wonderfully helpful people staffing them. I experienced nothing but smiling faces - even the friendly alsation was smiling - and helpful hands. The route was always full of beauty and interest and the organisers even managed to instill a bit of excitement by having a thunderstorm visit the area to chase us along.
The route description was just right, and it was helpful to have adequate info on distances between certain features. At no point was I left staring incomprehensibly at the piece of paper in my hands,
My only complaint is with whoever was in charge of the weather; a few degrees cooler next time please.
One last thing, my apologies to Mike who kindly asked if I had enjoyed the event. I had Mike, but at the time you asked me, I was aware I had overheated in the last few miles and was sat next to the entrance door trying to cool down and not be sick: not the best time to be interviewed. You and everyone concerned can rest assured that as far as I was concerned, it was one of the best 100's I have experienced. Thank you everyone, especially all my friends at Sleights and Linda, Peter, Sheena and Flip with whom I had the pleasure of walking with at various stages.
Author: Adrian Partridge
Posted: Fri 2nd Jun 2017, 17:35
Local Group: Cornwall & Devon
What a pleasure to walk a 100 where the organisers don't feel it necessary to accrue half the ascent of Everest! The walk was beautifully graded in general, reducing toe pain in descent and seldom slowing us down on the climbs. The scenery was stunning, the villages gorgeous, and the checkpoint staff as fantastic as ever. Although my wife and I finished with less than two hours to spare we enjoyed it all ( at least all the bits where we had our eyes open). Suzi especially wanted to thank the lady running foot spas at Staffs CP. and without the baked potato at Cornwall and Devon CP would certainly have ground to a halt.
Author: John Pennifold
Posted: Fri 2nd Jun 2017, 6:47
Local Group: London
Here are my Flickr photos from the event (video next week)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/john_pp/albums/72157681583967453
Author: Tim Hughes
Posted: Thu 1st Jun 2017, 23:31
Local Group: Marches
And thanks from me too. Well organised and supported by so many people who gave up their time for our benefit. After four days of normal life the only bit that aches now is - my shoulders!
Author: Gillian Howe
Posted: Thu 1st Jun 2017, 10:46
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
Thank you😀All the very nice people who helped me on The 100. The man who gave me a pair of reading glasses,after I had lost mine. The folk I shamelessly followed in darkness . Viv Pike for loan of walking poles and who carried my bag for a while.
The checkpoint man who helped me lighten said bag at the last stop but still have required kit.
Firstly though my wife who got me past the breakfast stop. Only to be abandoned my me at the next checkpoint. Sorry Gill.
Never again I say. Now.?
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Wed 31st May 2017, 19:14
Local Group: Surrey
A well organized and well run event through the beauty spots of the North York Moors, an excellent route description with enough but not too much detail. The checkpoints were, as always, welcoming, friendly and attentive. Thank you, North Yorkshire LDWA
Author: Steven Gayler
Posted: Wed 31st May 2017, 12:34
Local Group: Dorset
I would like to thank all the organisers and volunteers who managed everything. Such a major task. I have five lasting memories; All emotional and nearly crying at the start as this was my last 100; The most beautiful sunrise; The hills from Littlebeck to Goathland (ouch!); The jacket potato (that did go down well); and the elation of finishing. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.
Author: Steve Clark
Posted: Wed 31st May 2017, 10:48
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
Congrats to all who finished and commises to those who had to retire. I took just over 700 photos on the event. Will send a disk to the web master and strider ed asap when i have finished editing them. Here' to next year.
Stevecee x
Author: Peter Ibison
Posted: Tue 30th May 2017, 23:21
Local Group: Staffordshire
Just like to add my thanks to the organisers and checkpointers for a lovely `100`. The weather gave us some lovely views throughout. Physically shattered but relieved that I finished. Thanks to all for their hard work over the hot weekend.
Author: Andy Todd
Posted: Tue 30th May 2017, 14:24
Local Group: Wiltshire
Thanks to all. Pity I didnt make it (I think it was the track down to Glaisdale that killed my feet)

Looking at the photos I took I can see a lot of leaners. Well done to those that finished.

Link to the photos I took https://goo.gl/photos/cCwH2Ti5tNuKFWZy9. (album is open if others want to add to it)
Author: Nigel Bowler
Posted: Tue 30th May 2017, 14:11
Local Group: Lincolnshire
Also my first 100. I'm not sure what I've learned yet but I think I'll do another. And to everyone, thank you, thank you, thank you.
Posted: Tue 30th May 2017, 13:25
Lee Hall -
You summarise so well - can I plagiarise your post please? :-)
This was my first 100 and I echo every thing you say. The organisation and the support was amazing. The people on the checkpoints were so helpful and kind and and like you, that bell and the applause back at Malton nearly finished me off.

My unexpected learning point? Ginger Beer! 2/3 water and 1/3 ginger beer kept my stomach much more settled through the whole event than anything else I've tried before - definitely doing that again.

see you all in Kent!
Author: Peter Jull
Posted: Tue 30th May 2017, 11:24
Local Group: Kent
Will this become known as the "lean" 100? I don't remember so many walkers finishing with leaning over syndrome or it probably contributing so much to the number of retirements. Perhaps I took more notice having succumbed to the lean for the first time myself. Understanding that it was curable only with a long rest and having pulled a back muscle in a stumble before Botten which it was aggravating I could see no alternative but to retire at Sleights. But then I later heard that a walker had arrived at Fyling Hall with the lean, taken a good dose of Dioralyte and laid down for a while, repeated at the next checkpoint and finished walking straight. If the syndrome is that easily curable why don't we know and should CPs have it available?

Thank you for all that plastic sheeting which is now in my boot ready for next year's checkpoints. It would have been even hotter had this year been our turn. They can stay there till by back's feeling better. 339 days 'til the Marshals'...
Author: Geoff Deighton
Posted: Tue 30th May 2017, 10:30
Local Group: High Peak
Totally agree! An amazing event, brilliantly organised and supported by an army of volunteers at the checkpoints and at HQ. It would be difficult to succeed without the support of so many willing to give their time. A big thank you from me to the North Yorkshire Group and everyone else!
Author: Lee Hall
Posted: Tue 30th May 2017, 8:18
Local Group: Sherwood
I have just completed my first 100 mile challenge

I wanted to thank you to the organisers for a fantastic challenge, my feet are in tatters, for my first 100 I cant say I enjoyed it while doing it, but as soon as I heard that bell and people applauding I got all emotional and then it hit me, I'd done it. So a big thank you.

I honestly do not think I would have completed the walk if it wasn't for all those kind volunteers at the check points, those marvelous people who know just what your going through, who wait on you hand and foot, getting you to sit down while they do all the running around filling water bottles, getting drinks and food, asking if your ok what a fantastic bunch of people. THANK YOU.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law