Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - Wide fitting shoes/ boots

Author: Mark Webb
Posted: Tue 21st May 2019, 8:18
Local Group: Norfolk & Suffolk
I am back from walking 1200 miles Lands End to John O'Goats via Snowndon, Scafell Pike and Ben Nevis. I had planned on using my Ultra Lone Peak 4.0 but amazingly the Inov8 Roclite 345 GTX (with graphene in the soles) made it the whole way. I found these boots perfect for the walk as I started in February but would wear a non gore-tex boot in warmer weather. On long walks my feet spread so I tend to need wider boots, that's why I had intended to change to the Lone Peaks half way ish, but the Roclite 345s where fine for the whole walk, I just added Super feet insoles. The Inov8 boots vary in widths between models. So my best advice is try before you buy and with Inov8 get a half size bigger for every day use and at least a full size bigger for longer walks. I have reviewed the boots on wildwalkinguk.com if needed.
Author: Raymond Wilkes
Posted: Fri 17th May 2019, 19:09
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Light boots are great, but if you are prone to plantar fasciitis get 3 season boots for all year, you need a stable footbed with this compaint
Author: Neil Hikerdoc
Posted: Sat 11th May 2019, 12:41
I don't know if my own experience might be helpful, but I have used Salomon, ASOLO and also Meindl (GTX Meran) boots on walks including Wainwright's C2C, Hadrian's Wall, Dalesway and West Highland Way, plus Yorkshire 3-peaks. I didn't get on well with any of them - ranging from leakage, sweating, rubbing, blisters and aches/pains no matter what I did. The most expensive (Meindl) were the most disappointing and troublesome. I have a wide-ish foot (probably an "E" fitting) and also slightly fallen arches, but not absolute pes planus (flat feet). I just couldn't get on with boots.
This year I swapped to trail runners and walking shoes. I completed the Hebridean Way in April with Merrell All Out Crush Tough Mudders - they are completely ventilated, but I found "managing" wet feet during the day and drying them at night was fine. My feet were much healthier, but I would advise that there is very little arch support - the inner sole is flat and for the type of terrain it would be better to have a bit more support for the foot. Width wise they were fine and overall I found them incredibly comfortable and light. I would unhesitatingly recommend these for well defined trails, but not the difficult tussocky conditions of sand dunes and peat bogs.
I happened upon a cheap deal for Merrell Chameleon 7 Slam shoes. They are wide fitting and very supportive of the arch. The sole is a bit firmer and I am quite sure I would have got on better with these on the Hebridean Way. They would have suited the terrain better. They are also fully ventilated but not as fully breathable as the Tough Mudders. Against my better judgement I wore the Cham 7 Slams pretty much "straight out of the box" to walk the Yorkshire 3-Peaks this year (a couple of weeks ago) and the Cham 7 Slams were utterly amazing - no issues whatsoever even though my son and I set a fast pace and completed in 8 hours 15 mins. These shoes were awsome and I would recommend for anyone with a slightly wider fitting who needs a bit more arch support and is able to manage wet feet with ventilated shoes (personally I wouldn't get the Goretex version - harder to dry them out).
I am also now testing some INOV-8 Trailroc 315s that are at a good price online from a number of retailers. Again, they are a trail runner and so have a flat inner sole (not much arch support), but they are ventilated, then have a firm-ish sole with terrific grip and they seem to suit my wider feet well. So far, so good and I think these will be my replacements for the Tough Mudders when they wear out. I would tend to use the Trailrocs for fast-and-light, mostly reasonably well defined pathways where the emphasis is on lightness, comfort and breathability at the expense of more support and weight.
I don't think I'll be going back to boots, even in colder conditions. My feet tend to stay warm and seem to get on well with wet, but ventilated walking in trail runners rather than hot, sweaty and confined conditions in boots. Trail runners seem to run true-to-size and I just use a thin cycling (short) sock from ALDI at about £5 for 2 pairs. These seem to work much better than thicker merino wool socks. Sometimes, however, I will wear an Otter waterproof for short periods, or the equivalent (and cheap) ALDI waterproof cycling socks that are sometimes available.
As I say, it's just a personal observation and opinion, but I hope it adds something to the discussion.
Author: Mark Webb
Posted: Thu 14th Feb 2019, 18:11
Local Group: Norfolk & Suffolk
I am trying a pair of Altra Lone Peak 4 mid (which have a very wide toe box) on my LEJOG next week. I will be reviewing them in about 3 months, how they lasted at WILDWALKINGUK.com and on Twitter. They are a very light weight boot or could be classed as a running trainer.They would suit someone with wide feet, especially in the toe area.
Author: Ruth Jordan
Posted: Thu 10th Jan 2019, 17:18
Local Group: Dorset
I have a bunion on left inner foot and short but broad feet. I was recommended Henwag which does all kinds of boots including wide fitting. I bought a pair last spring. Walked all of coast to coast in them no problems at all and on coastal path here in Dorset. They have been brilliant. Got them from cotswold outdoors. Ruth Jordan
Author: Chris Kennedy
Posted: Fri 4th Jan 2019, 20:37
Local Group: Sussex
I take a XW size 13 walking shoe/boot and use Altberg and Keen. The Altberg can be "custom" fit at extra cost. The Keen also make XW boots/shoes. Best of luck
Author: Andrew Wallace
Posted: Wed 12th Sep 2018, 18:16
Local Group: North of Scotland
Looking for some advice regarding footware suitable for long distance walking. I've been looking at the LOWA Renegade GTX and similar wide fitting boots. Does anybody use them and how are they after 50 miles? Thanks
Posted: Sun 25th Jun 2017, 10:11
Post Script

just came across a boot from Altberg called a KISDON which is particularly wide - its on a new last (so I was told) so I'd not come across this before. Not exactly a light weight boot but it looked very well put together. They didn't have my size in stock but I think they may end up on my Christmas list.
Posted: Thu 18th May 2017, 12:42
For boots, I've had several pairs of boots from Hanwag that are in a wider fitting - there are some others that are shaped specifically for people with bunions too
For lightweight shoes, I've found that Inov8's standard fit seems good - the precision fit is the narrow one. It may not be a pattern but I've spotted that some styles come out in one fitting and others in the opposite fitting BUT that the following season, shoes that were only narrow last year are now wider this year - lesson = don't write them off - the fittings may switch about from year to year.
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Thu 6th Apr 2017, 23:21
Local Group: Surrey
I have worn New Balance shoes, first running, now walking, 2E and 4E for 50 years and have never found any other make as good. I generally go for leather. The 1069 was excellent, but so far they don't seem to have a replacement.
Author: Raymond Wilkes
Posted: Sat 1st Apr 2017, 18:39
Meindl aso do a wide fitting. Just got some but not been out in them
Author: John Griffin
Posted: Tue 28th Mar 2017, 11:17
Local Group: Staffordshire
Altberg do very wide fitting boots - I have an excellent pair which allow me as a 2e/4e to wear thick socks with a liner sock - however there are very few outlets stock their wider fittings (to the bemusement of the company). If you can get to Yorkshire for a fitting....? Go on their website.
Author: John Phillips
Posted: Sat 31st Dec 2016, 15:52
Local Group: East Yorkshire
I appreciate your obsevations that your walking shoes did not last long. I think this can be applied generally that approach shoes or fell running shoes will not have the longevity of a leather wallking boot. I would normally expect around 500 miles from a trainer type shoe whereas I would be disappointed with less than 1000 miles from a boot. Also bear in mind that softer rubber which allows better grip also wears out sooner. Ultimately you get what you pay for. It is up to you to pick what is right for you.
Lets not forget that we spend several pounds getting to a walk and on parking fees. What we spend on footwear on a days walk pales into insignificance
Author: Dick Bowman
Posted: Fri 30th Dec 2016, 15:16
Local Group: London
My experience with a pair of New Balance walking shoes was brief and unsatisfactory. Wore out in months.
Author: Gary Baldwin
Posted: Fri 30th Dec 2016, 8:11
Local Group: Thames Valley
Thanks for your replies Mike, which have given me a few leads, so very much appreciated

Thanks again, Gary
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Thu 29th Dec 2016, 19:25
These may be worth thinking about - I have a pair of NB 610 trail shoes myself.

Sportsshoes.com offer big discounts and are reliable

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/new691205/new-balance-mt610v4-trail-gtx-running-shoes-(4e-width)/#
Posted: Thu 29th Dec 2016, 19:04
I use Keen "Targhee" shoes, and have also got a pair of Targhee boots (which I only use in horribly wet and cold conditions) I think that it is possible to get extra wide fittings in this shoe.
Posted: Thu 29th Dec 2016, 18:51
Hi Gary ,

New Balance do quite a range of wide fitting trainers, some of which are fine for long distance walking

e.g. http://www.newbalance.co.uk/men/shoes/running/stability-and-motion-control-1/new-balance-860v6/M860-V6.html?dwvar_M860-V6_color=Blue%20Ashes_with_White#color=Blue Ashes_with_White&width=4E

If you want a more robust waterproof shoe or boot in leather and fabric mix, KEEN are made for the American market , which means they are wider fitting. I personally find that Keen shoes are robust comfortable and ideal for winter walking in poor conditions.

Two provisos : try before you buy - and what works for me may not work as well for you...
Author: Gary Baldwin
Posted: Thu 29th Dec 2016, 9:20
Local Group: Thames Valley
I'm after some advice, from more senior members/ long time walkers. I'm after a new pair of walking shoes/ boots, but I have very wide feet (a fitting of 4EE according to one web site) & was after advice as to what would be the best/ most appropriate wide fitting shoe/ boot currently on the market. I wouldn't say money is no object, but obviously the priority is getting something that fits well & is comfortable. Thanks in advance

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law