Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Beginner - advice needed please

Author: Carol Holmes
Posted: Mon 9th Jan 2017, 20:16
Local Group: Wiltshire
Hi Louise
Yes, please come and join us on The Pewsey Downsaround. It is a beautiful walk, and yes, I think the catering and the cakes are great (but I couldn't say that as I make some of them, so thanks to Paul for pointing it out).
Lots of people come to this area to do The Bath Beat on the Saturday and The Downsaround on the Sunday, of the two I would say the Bath Beat is more hilly. I think it sounds as though you are doing very well with your walking, I have been a member for years and still find it a bit of a pull on hills (probably not enough practice and too many cakes).
Hope to see you in April, you will enjoy it, everyone is so friendly.

Carol Holmes, Entries Administrator Pewsey Downsaround and Wiltshire LDWA Treasurer.
Author: Paul Glynn
Posted: Fri 23rd Dec 2016, 17:13
Local Group: Cumbria
Hi Louise,
The Pewsey Downsaround is a great event, less hilly than the DD and with great catering en-route (Thanks Wiltshire group!). The 35-mile route is however one of the most time-challenging with only 11 hours allowed. Having said that there is a 26 mile alternative (with the same time limit).
Our own New Forest marathon is over a pretty flat course over varied terrain and you can choose to do the 26 mile route in the company of a guide if you so wish, and its not far away; worth considering.
Hoping to have another go at the DD in 2017
Good Luck!
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Fri 23rd Dec 2016, 9:45
Local Group: Dorset
Hi Louise.

The Dorset Doddle is probably one of the more demanding events in the LDWA calendar. If you were timed out on this walk, don't worry - it was very useful experience. I did the DD Marshals' Walk this year, and two of us only just got in within the 12 hour limit. That involved some careful pacing. I wasn't trying for a fast time, or a PB. I just wanted to finish. Comparing challenge events is very difficult because one of the most significant variables on the day is the weather, and the ground conditions. Very muddy tracks will slow even the strongest and fastest people.

The Cerne Giant 30 can also be quite a tough proposition, but it is also one of our most scenic and interesting challenge events and I prefer it to the Dorset Doddle. It is worth noting that we also offer a 20 mile route within the same time. The checkpoint times are reasonably generous. However, if anyone doing the 30 mile route arrives at CP2 (Buckland Newton - about 17 miles) after the CP closing time, it is possible for them to continue on part of the 20 mile route back to the finish. (Of course, if they are seriously out of time, they will have to retire, and we will transport them back to Cerne Abbas). You should not be under relentless time pressure on this event.

And, the checkpoint food is pretty good on the Cerne Giant...
Author: Louise Witt
Posted: Wed 21st Dec 2016, 23:21
Local Group: South Wales
Hi.

I am really impressed with the LDWA and want to join in with more walks in 2017. However I'm not the best walker ! I had hoped to see a difficulty grading on walks but I understand this doesn't exist so I was hoping people could help me please.

I tried the Dorset Doddle and couldn't finish it due to the hills. However I did the Amesbury Amble and loved it

Could anyone let me know how the following would compare to these two races please. ..

- Pewsey
- Bath Beat
- New Forest Challenge
- Cerne Giant
- Langport Walking Festival
- Purbeck Odyssey

Thank you

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law