Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - cattle, sheep-dogs and other country obstacles

Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Sun 1st Feb 2009, 21:04
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
I once remember having to rescue a rare breed of sheep on the N.Yoks Moors that had got suck in gorse./brambles. The poor thing was all entangled and couldn't move. Luckily my friend had good gloves on and was able to remove her. Otherwise she would have perished there.

As for the bulls I find them very handsome beasts! All muscle! All that male testosterone! They are usually docile- just resting and eating and reserving their energy like any male!!

the problem is with dogs- and I know because I have had a few dogs- cattle don't like them- especially cows with calves. keep away from cows with calves if you have a dog with you is my advice. otherwise let your dog off the lead to escape if charged, the dog can escape and you too!
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Sun 25th Jan 2009, 17:26
Local Group: Lakeland
Correction. I have never seen so many dogs on an event - there must have been at least 30. At one point we almost ran out of hitching space outside Witherslack checkpoint! They all seemed to be enjoying That's Lyth.
They do need to be in control, though. A couple of dogs were separated from their owners. Fortunately they latched on to another runner who brought them to the checkpoint. In another place with another farmer that might have meant two dead dogs.
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Sun 25th Jan 2009, 9:04
Local Group: Lakeland
Michael,
I'm rather surprised at your comment, I think most events still welcome well controlled dogs. There were at least 6 hounds of varying shapes and sizes tied up outside the scout hut in Kendal this morning eagerly anticipating 23 miles of Cumbria's finest on That's Lyth.
Posted: Sun 25th Jan 2009, 0:54
Hi all,
I'm not sure if this is the correct topic to post this but I can't find a way to submit a new posting as I'm not really a forum person but here goes,I have been a member of the LDWA for nearly 20 years,but have not done any challenge walks for a few years but thought I would get back into the game by doing a few local LDWA walks,But having viewed the listings in Strider I find that all the events I am interested in say "No dogs"as I wouldn't dream of doing any walk without my faithful hounds,I have decided after 18 years not to renew my membership.
Author: Ian Koszalinski
Posted: Fri 8th Dec 2006, 19:56
Local Group: High Peak
was harrased by a cow on the leek moors marathon much to the ammusement of the walkers behind me, also on the same walk came face to face with a giant of a bull who was stood directly behind the stile on the way up to the roaches
Posted: Fri 8th Dec 2006, 7:56
Great stuff, was bit by a psycho sheep dog ( i own a dog too , who doesn't bite strangers) on the Grindleford gallop. It made my mate laugh thou!!
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Thu 26th Oct 2006, 23:08
Local Group: Mid Wales
I'm sure the 'bull' is not over happy with that kind of treatment, probably needs counselling,
Author: David Giles
Posted: Thu 26th Oct 2006, 7:31
Local Group: Sussex
there is a bull in field close to beachy head which has "treated" sprayed on its side..i presume that means it has been castrated!!didnt want to get close enough to check!
Author: Sue Allonby
Posted: Thu 12th Oct 2006, 10:46
Given the choice of encountering bulls or golfers whilst walking, I'd prefer the former every time.
Posted: Wed 11th Oct 2006, 21:32
Matt I used to Jogg round this Golf course after finishing a night shift and some of the things I found in the bunkers were not related to golf but showed that the bunkers could be put to better used than knocking little balls around or maybe thats what had been knocked around in the night.
David H
Posted: Mon 9th Oct 2006, 22:28
"Frisky troublesome critters". I'm afraid that's golfers for you :) Matt.
Posted: Mon 9th Oct 2006, 20:02
Met a bunch of frisky troublesome critters yesterday in the field next to our local golf course, spoke loud words of wisdom regarding their parentage, they stoped when I got in among some trees. I hope the ladys on the golf course did not understand Geordie.
Posted: Mon 9th Oct 2006, 19:51
Came across a Bull in a field of cattle on the White Cliffs Challenge. It was the size of a Transit Van, but with legs and horns. Fortunately, it seemed to have expended all of it's energy on it's surrounding hareem so it seemed it could barely lift its head to look at us as we scuttled past.
Author: John King
Posted: Thu 21st Sep 2006, 16:01
i usually let my own collie decide what course of action we should take.
john
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Wed 20th Sep 2006, 22:58
Local Group: Merseystride
Now, that is a useful tip ! G
Posted: Wed 20th Sep 2006, 21:39
Probably should have posted this on 'Another thing', but never mind. What do other walkers do when confronted by farm collies that rush out looking aggressive? I have found that bending down and picking up a stone (real or imaginary) often sees them off. Most collies are 'trained to the stone' and will back off if they think one is going to be flung at them. Jane
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Wed 6th Sep 2006, 9:40
Local Group: Merseystride
Yes, Bulls can be seriously scary, although more from hearsay and movies than actual experience. On my very first Bullock Smithy I (stupidly) decided to go from Peak Forest to Miller's Dale via the valley to the right of the road that most people take. This got very narrow and it was night (I was VERY slow back then) and pitch black. I rounded a corner to be met by dozens of bright eyes staring straight back at me! Cows all snuggly filling the path from side to side. It took a great deal of courage to clap hands and make loud noises etc, but they did eventually move. It was scary - the thought of being crushed between two of them. - Garfield
Posted: Wed 6th Sep 2006, 9:05
Sorry, should have signed the above. Jane
Posted: Wed 6th Sep 2006, 9:04
Having lived in the country all my life, not many things unnerve me animal wise - snakes, rats, cows, all the usual suspects - I'm fine with. Horses are my problem, I really don't like walking too near to them and find them unpredictable. Cattle can be quite frightening for the unwary.I was walking the Rings of Shap last year with our group Sec, Mark, who has a bit of an aversion to cattle.We were going well, through pretty fields, enjoying the views, looking forward to tea at Shap, when this most HUMUNGOUS beast of a bull lumbered up from behind a wall and leered at us!!I've never seen such a huge animal. We shot off towards the distant stile with Mark saying, "Has it gone? Is it following? Have you ever seen such a beast? Whats it doing?" After few hundred yards I looked round and said, "Yup. It's gone. No probs. I just hope the other five to our left are just as docile." Boy! can our group Secretary walk fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law