Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Newbie Help

Author: John Pennifold
Posted: Thu 1st Jun 2017, 20:06
Local Group: London
Hi Lee, are you the Lee that I spoke to at the start about my Youtube videos? Well done on your completion. I withdrew at the breakfast stop due to severe groin chafing, despite using Lanacane gel.
Author: Lee Hall
Posted: Wed 31st May 2017, 18:50
Local Group: Sherwood
David
Yes we bumped into Phill and asked if he would like to tag on, as its so lonely on your own. Much as the same we invited yourself, I remember you saying, no no you all carry on I'll slow you down, we said that's doesn't matter, (then you made me smile when you said to Phil "there is something you can do for me, pull me up". He did and you made it, that must have taken a lot of mental effort and I really admire that. As for Tour de Marches in Shropshire (Sep9) Ive just had a good look at that and the Dorset Doddle but Dorset is quite a long trip So I might well bump into at Wistanstow Village.
Take care David and I'm 100% signing up for Cinque Ports Hundred, as my feet should be recovered by then :) Lee
Posted: Wed 31st May 2017, 11:48
Hello Lee,

when I saw your finish time in this post, I realised that you were walking with a friend of mine at the end - if you can recall, I was trying to stretch my back out on the left hand side of the track around 2 miles from the end and Phil stopped and hauled me up to my feet again. I'm relatively new to all this myself and this was my first 100 too but I always feel that the best thing about these events is that we are surrounded by hundreds of people we don't know but in fact, they're all just friends we haven't met yet. Phil is the lead organiser of the Tour de Marches in Shropshire (Sep9) - probably my favourite event of the year - maybe you might be interested - you can follow HIS route!!!

I'd been tracking some of your questions in the lead up and was following the pieces of advice. What I've learnt is that there are some very experienced people who are very generous with their advice but that you probably never stop learning and you'll always spot something that someone does that you want to do yourself next time. I did have sudocrem for halfway but my masterstroke which I only thought of at the last minute was a toothbrush in the breakfast bag - that made me feel a million dollars at half way!

Well done and see you next year!
David
Author: Deirdre Flegg
Posted: Tue 30th May 2017, 19:57
Local Group: Dorset
Hello Lee,

Really pleased to hear you finished and enjoyed the expereince (!). May your feet recover soon! I bet it will not take as long as you think.
Hope to see you on some more events soon. Come and enjoy the Dorset Doddle in August!
Posted: Tue 30th May 2017, 8:05
Tuesday morning sat at work typing this note to say I completed the NYM100 in 39hrs 35mins legs are ok today caught up with sleep but my goodness me, my poor feet are in tatters.

When I prepared my map my route markings were to big and I actually blocked out some map detail, lesson learnt.

I walked with a peak cap great for keeping the sun out of my eyes but useless for sun protection, and wearing a head lamp (new hat ordered).

At breakfast, although I had a change of clothes I didn't realise I could of had a refreshing shower so I had no shower kit, I used wet wipes. I needed nappy cream and didn't have any, I just did not anticipate that one at all.

I did learn so much about my self in those miles, and lessons about doing the next 100 have been learnt. I found it much safer and easier to tag onto a group during the nights, the first night I joined a group and that got me through, although these very kind people made me welcome I was guilty of just following and only checking my map for personal confirmation. However the second night I found I did all the navigating whilst a small group followed me, because I was busy I found it much easier, I was concentrating on my responsibilities and not my feet :)

I made more acquaintances and as usual you walkers are such a kind nice thoughtful bunch of people I just wanted to say Thank you. I think I can call my self a walker now.

One last note I would like to make, I honestly do not think I would have completed the walk if it wasn't for all those kind volunteers at the check points, those marvelous people who know just what your going through, who wait on you hand and foot, getting you to sit down while they do all the running around filling water bottles, getting drinks and food, asking if your ok what a fantastic bunch of people. THANK YOU.
Posted: Tue 11th Apr 2017, 8:29
Deirdre

Thank you for your reply yes I agree think of CP to CP not how far to the end, however I do still check how far I have left, bad habit.

I do carry some just in case rations and normally end up taking them home but better to be safe than sorry.

I have been trying different delivery systems for fluids, water bottles, bladders, and both water bottles and bladders but I have arrived at the conclusion, Roy's advice (who I was chatting to on a walk) is the best solution just carry a standard water bottle with half a High five electrolyte tablet. I have adapted this approach and I have arrived at, for me the best delivery system. What I do is carry Scrunch Water bottles I have a couple of empty ones in my pack (no weight) I carry 1 x 250 with half an electrolyte tablet and a 1 x 500 with just water, these slip into my pocket in my trousers and off I go, when ever I reach a CP I drink what ever is left in my electrolyte Scrunch bottle and refill it, and off I go. Recently during a 40 miler there was a 8 mile gap between CP it was very hot, so I simply took an extra 500 out of my pack filled it and slipped into my other pocket. As it happened it wasn't required there were additional unofficial water points on the route, which was very thoughtful.

So I have decided not to set off to quick and go at a nice steady pace and enjoy the sights and fresh air, it in my opinion is about crossing the finish line not doing it as fast as I can.

Good luck to everyone...........Lee :)
Author: Deirdre Flegg
Posted: Mon 10th Apr 2017, 19:36
Hi Lee, a few remarks about your questions. Most people recommend starting as you mean to go on-i.e. don't go faster than you feel comfortable with, as you will burn out, and don't get unwittingly dragged along by faster people, particularly in the excitement of the first couple of hours or so. Remember the strategy of walking from CP to CP, and not getting daunted by the idea that you still have 80 miles to go! I change my socks about every 15 miles or so [does increase the weight, but I live with this] & have extra pairs in breakfast bag in case it is very wet. I have changed them more often sometimes. I try to remember to moisturise with every sock change (Palmer's cocoa butter or similar). This is personal tactics and others will have different ideas.

Sleeping: I have been known to lie down in a field for 15 minutes, and once spent half an hour asleep at breakfast, but as I am very slow there is really no time for much more. It is surprising that in the second night, you don't feel twice as tired, for some reason-the field episode was in the afternoon of day one, when it was also hot. We usually have a plan of sorts for the event which allows different amounts of time at CPs-e.g. much longer at breakfast, and then towards the end when feet are dragging. Again this is personal-some people just whistle through everywhere! The plan looks at how fast we expect to go at each stage (i.e. a reducing average as the event wears on, and overnight when it is less easy to sustain faster speeds), and 'predicts' what time we will arrive at CPs. This can be useful to keep a check on how you are doing re closing times. It is also really nice to have time to chat to the CP marshals.

If it will help you to look at a plan, just say and we will get an old one to you.

Re food: don't carry too much (I always do, in spite of this advice!), but do carry something you really really like and which will give you a lift. 100s normally are very well catered, so you don't need to carry a lot-but if you find you can't eat CP food at some point, then a little snack of your own along the way might help & it can be a great morale booster. I carry chocolate, chocolate raisins or cranberries, dried fruit, perhaps a few high calorie bars. Put a few extras in your breakfast bag.Think about including electrolyte tablets.

Sorry for going on-you have focused my mind, as I am entered into the NY 100: I haven't done the last 4 for various reasons and haven't finished one since 2009, so I am hoping this one will break the spell! As you are discovering,there is also great camaraderie on all challenge walks, especially on the 100, so you will surely be able to walk with others and get/offer support.

Finally, don't think you have to keep doing long distances right up to the event. Just keep walking and stretching! Good luck.
Posted: Mon 10th Apr 2017, 17:44
Hi all just an update really, firstly I haven't had so much fun in ages walking. I have done several walks now. I have certainly found walking is a totally different fitness to running. What I find fantastic is the people, it matters not if they are organising, helping, or walking/running, they are all so welcoming, helpful and generally a great bunch of people.

Ok I have secured a place on the NYM100 and 50 is my longest walk so far (well actually 54 I got geographically embarrassed a couple of times lol) and when I had finished I drove home and had to get help out of the car lol I could hardly walk. As I progress the days after are getting better. I just did a 40 and the day after legs were ok.

I have now just about arrived at what to carry, sorted my footwear out, I'm happy with what fluids to carry.

If ask fellow walkers how they approach a 100 mile walk in 48 hours, and maybe I could arrive at a strategy.

Do people set off fast to cover as much distance while strong, do people set of steady and pace themselves, do people change their socks every 25 mile, do people plan rest/sleep, is it better to not stop at all for fear of not wanting to carry on.

Any advice, thoughts, experiences good or bad really would be very welcome, from looking after feet to food and fluids, there has to be some experienced walkers with their own views the challenge.

Personally I cant wait but I do have to have a plan, I really want to succeed in this challenge, I'm already qualified for 2018 lol.

Thank you so much in advance for your thoughts and advice.

Lee
Author: Roy Turner
Posted: Fri 4th Nov 2016, 22:00
Local Group: Vermuyden (South Yorks)
Hi Lee,
Yes we were speaking as we came into check 1,nice to have met you.
Glad you had a good one & enjoyed it, I walked with friends & came in about 30 mins later.
The last I saw you was going up the green lane to hilltop, about 70yds ahead.
Hope to bump into you again on our travels.
Regards, Roy.
Posted: Fri 4th Nov 2016, 21:57
Hi Lee,
Yes we were speaking as we came into check 1,nice to have met you.
Glad you had a good one & enjoyed it, I walked with friends & came in about 30 mins later.
The last I saw you was going up the green lane to hilltop, about 70yds ahead.
Hope to bump into you again on our travels.
Regards, Roy.
Posted: Tue 18th Oct 2016, 8:41
Round Rotherham Run I completed in 14:11, I have come to the conclusion walking is a different type of fitness, at the end of the 50 mile I was shattered and struggled to walk the next day due to stiff legs. However I'm ok now and I have recovered. I was really pleased with the camaraderie, such a friendly bunch of people, Roy gave me some sound advice on this thread and without knowing it I think i was chatting with Roy as we approached a large tower just prior to a checkpoint, I say this because his advice was similar in conversation.

I learnt so much on that walk and I really appreciate everyone company, the organisers efforts, and all the advice. Looking forward to Six Dales Circuit in November already.

Lee
Posted: Fri 16th Sep 2016, 11:31
Hi Lee
Quite sure you will be ok! Just walk checkpoint to checkpoint, & normal pace Don,t charge along.
I did,nt do walks above 30mls and did 17 -- 100,s only failed one ! Used to change socks every 25mls look after your feet, & eat drink from the start May not feel like it but pay,s off big-time in the end.
Good Luck,
Roy.
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Thu 15th Sep 2016, 20:46
Local Group: Mid Wales
As has been said, events are organised for walkers rather than runners. I have been a runner (fast becoming a walker, it's an age thing, always going to happen) of ldwa events for many years.
But don't expect all routes to be runner friendly, they tend to utilise footpaths, many of which are not in the best of shape. Walking through an overgrown path that nobody has set foot on sine last year is very different from expecting to blast through the nettles and brambles at a trail runners pace!

I have always loved it, happy to take the rough with the smooth and not obsessed with times and don't worry about the 100 miles, if you want to run practice "Ruddles Rules" walk the ups, jog the flats and downs - you won't go far wrong.
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Thu 15th Sep 2016, 12:19
Hi Lee,

Some LDWA members are trail runners (and vice versa), but I don't think comparing trail running to long distance walking is always useful. They can be very different activities on the day, and the "personally challenging - but non competitive" ethic of LDWA challenge events is an important distinction. I am not sure that very long trail runs are necessarily "harder". The Valleys Hundred demonstrated that. A LDWA Hundred in adverse weather and over difficult terrain may not suit trail runners at all. I have no experience of the Round Rotherham Run, although I get the impression that the event is a trail run that also welcomes fast walkers. The Winter Poppyline, however, is a really good "traditional" LDWA 50 challenge walk in terms of organisation and support. Some runners may do it in fast times, but the walkers are a very diverse bunch of people, and for most of them, their objective (and mine) is to finish. In cold weather it can be a seriously tough event, particularly if the ground conditions are awkward.

I think the Winter Poppyline will be provide some useful experience for the 2017 Hundred, in a way that trail running will not.
Posted: Thu 15th Sep 2016, 9:54
Please forgive the delay in response I have just got back from completing the Great North Run and catching up with work. This is the first chance I have had.

Thank you all very much for your advice I have had another look at some walks and my wife has given me permission to sign up for a few :)

1. is Round Rotherham Run as a walker Oct 15th, with a bit of luck and back wind I hope to qualify for 2017 Hundred. I decided to stay Friday night for two reasons I'd hate to be late, but I'm hoping to meet some other walkers and chat about LDWA and events.
2. is The Winter Poppyline in 2017 I imagine ill need to be wrapped up for that one.

Once Rotherham has been attempted I intend on doing some shorter more sociable walks there are a few I have my eye on.

Finally I would like to say how welcome you have all made me feel and I'm looking forward to the future. Lee
Author: John Pennifold
Posted: Sun 11th Sep 2016, 21:52
Local Group: London
Lee, the videos that you've been watching are probably mine. As you've seen, I have finished three 100s and withdrawn from another.
When considering qualifying events, don't just consider the distance involved. Also consider whether they are trail-running or walking events, which can be judged from the time allowed.
LDWA events are designed for walkers although many trail-runners do enter LDWA marathon-length events as they are much cheaper than equivalent running events.
If you're a walker, then entering a trail-running event would probably prove to be too hard and disheartening.
Take your time building up your experience and stamina. There's no need to rush. There will be 100s well into the future.
Author: Norman Corrin
Posted: Sun 11th Sep 2016, 19:17
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
Hi Lee. Agree with all of the previous posts but to give yourself a better chance of completing a 100 then doing some 50s or 60s in 2017 and then entering 2018 might be more realistic.

You'd have built up more stamina, got some more overnight events under your belt. As Louise said your mindset is set towards whatever distance you're doing whether it be a 15 mile social, 26 mile challenge event or 50/60 mile overnight event that's what you aim for. Once you're finished then you sit back and think "I couldn't walk another step"..........until the next event.

Also don't aim to beat the 2nd night. It's there for a reason. Loads of people walk through the 2nd night and complete 100s. The aim is to finish.......that's it. Doesnt' matter if you take 36 hours or 47 hours 45 minutes. You've done it and that's all that counts..

Good luck my friend and hopefully as Ian says maybe see you oop north next year. By then you'll be hooked!
Author: Katie Hunt
Posted: Sat 10th Sep 2016, 19:28
Local Group: Norfolk & Suffolk
Hi Lee. If you wanted to still try for the 2017 Hundred you could do a qualifier at the beginning of 2017 and as long as the 100 event is not full, you will still be able to enter. I know that the Winter Poppyline is coming up in February 2017 in Norfolk. Just a thought. Whatever - good luck! I am sure if you are determined, you will succeed
Author: Louise Whittaker
Posted: Thu 8th Sep 2016, 22:47
Local Group: Staffordshire
Hi Lee - Most folks having completed a 25 mile walk - do not feel like going out immediately and doing it again - and {I think} that is more related to the fact that you had programmed your mind to 25 miles. When you set out intending to walk 50 miles, or 100 miles - your mind is aligned with that 'intent'. So don't be disheartened about how you felt after your 25 mile event.
Also - don't get concerned with 'speed'. You don't have to be super-fast to complete a 100.
Author: Ian Sykes
Posted: Thu 8th Sep 2016, 21:47
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Hi Lee, if you get a qualifier why not give the 2017 Hundred a go. It's only up the road from you in Malton. It will give you an insight what the Hundreds are all about. If you drop out so be it. You'll be transported back to the finish by mini bus. Once you tried one the odds are you be hooked on them.
Posted: Thu 8th Sep 2016, 21:18
Ian

I didnt say a 100 was easy, I'm so sorry if I gave that impression.

As for the qualifying event in the peak district it is a ultra Marathon and I would not have completed 50 mile in 14 hours, (not 24 hours like most other qualifiers I thought of course i'm probably wrong about that too) I am by no means unfit but I didn't want to risk putting other people out by being stupid trying to risk it.

I presumed wrongly that doing a one hundred in 48 hours, people might have got their head down for a few hours (i did say I was a newbie). Might have to consider this more and do a few walks perhaps before I commit.

Thank you for your advice. Lee
Posted: Thu 8th Sep 2016, 20:43
Here is a link to a few photos from the last 5 hundreds. http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=65862148&page=1
Posted: Thu 8th Sep 2016, 20:30
Hi Lee, Walking your first hundred it not to be taken lightly. You say you went out and did 26 miles and then say you could not go out at night and do another 26 miles. To cover the mileage of a Hundred you have to go out another twice after the second time.

Re Baggage. A smallish bag is taken to breakfast (and back again to the finish) at around 55 miles. What you put in it is up to you, a change of clothes, soap & towel, chocolate bars, drinks ect. I do believe some walkers also pack the kitchen sink. If you drop out of the walk before breakfast you breakfast bag will be returned to the finish but it may take a few hours before it get there.

You ask about sleep gear at breakfast. SLEEP on a hundred, what's that?
Posted: Thu 8th Sep 2016, 20:06
Hi everyone
I have just joined LDWA and I'm in need of a little advice.

I was going to try and Qualify for 2017 100 but the only event left I could do was the Dawn till Dusk in the Peak District, which is 50 mile night navigation in just over 14 hours. Having completed 10/12 Half Marathons this year with Great north run on Sunday and Nottingham RobinHood two weeks later. Being ex infantry navigation isn't a problem, so I thought I'd test my fitness, so I went out and did 26 mile run and walk in 5 1/2 hours in day light not really having to navigate. So when I got back home I sat there and thought could I go out and do that again, and navigate at night, the answer is no. Which gives me time to prepare for 2018 Dover. I have already signed up for a qualifier so all is good to go.

That's the background done with, now for my question. I have been on YouTube and watched a lots of 100s and it really looks exciting and a challenge, (thank you to the man who took all video) it's great to see all those like minded people achieving such a goal, fantastic.

What is a bag drop, or breakfast bag? Do the organisers transport a bag to say, the half way point? What is it for? (Food? Sock change? Sleeping system?) I'm a little confused.

I would be greatful for any newbie advice (not just about the bag). Many thanks Lee

I

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law