Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Drinks on Walks

Posted: Wed 30th Aug 2017, 13:31
I've just been walking in Europe. A lot of people I met were using an effervescent magnesium tablet at the end of each day - they all said it was really helpful in avoiding cramp. The "science" as explained to me is that magnesium is useful in the relaxation of a muscle (something else was active in the contraction of a muscle - can't recall what right now) and by taking the magnesium, cramp is avoided for at least 24 hours.
Author: Peter Steckles
Posted: Mon 14th Nov 2016, 22:57
Local Group: East Lancashire
I could really put the cat amongst the pigeons here...

I read about some research recently, which compared water, to shop bought electrolyte drinks, to milk.

Guess which won...?

Milk!!!

The milk research has been criticised by many, saying that the Milk Industry would tell you anything to get you to buy milk...

But I suspect the re-hydration drink industry would do the same...

As did the Coconut Milk Industry...

Not full fat milk. They said that slowed down the absorption of fluids, but semi skimmed milk.

The say the research is flawed, but when I walked around the Coastal Path it was my drink of choice when I came into a town. Not too expensive, easy to carry, went down well, and I completed...

Just a thought. Google "comparing water, electrolyte, and milk for re hydration"

Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice...
Author: Roy Turner
Posted: Fri 16th Sep 2016, 11:48
Local Group: Vermuyden (South Yorks)
Hi All,
Can suffer from cramp, more so with age! So I just use Lucosade Sport carry tube 12 Nunn tablets
One tab to 500ml means refill when empty & all the weight in liquid you need to carry on a challenge long distance walk.
Works for me..
Roy.
Author: Ian Sykes
Posted: Tue 6th Sep 2016, 18:21
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Norman, I was never an athlete, did not take my walking serious enough. Just did challenge walks for the fun of it. On the Hundreds we (John Wood and later on Dennis Allport ) tried to visit a pub for a bar meal and a few beers before going into the night section. Maybe it's me but I think challenge walks should go back to basics and be a bit more challenging. Some the best one's I did was when you only got the route on the day or the one's where there dropped you off in blackout minibuses in the middle of nowhere and told to get back to the start.
Author: Norman Corrin
Posted: Mon 5th Sep 2016, 20:18
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
Good one Ian. Being an aflete and living darn sarf I can't manage alcohol on a walk.........I've tried repeatedly!

The SAS soldier Andy McNab was told by one of the instructors on his selection course "These electrolyte drinks are fine but 2 pints of Guinness and a bag of chips will do the trick"

Who are we to argue?...:-)
Author: Ian Sykes
Posted: Thu 25th Aug 2016, 19:23
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Maybe I'm out of step with everybody else, but I found 2 or 3 pints of bitter on the way around did wonders for me.
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Sat 13th Aug 2016, 12:59
Local Group: Dorset
Drinks are obviously important, so in the interests of research and feedback, please let the forum know what works best for you all...
Posted: Thu 11th Aug 2016, 19:55
I'd second you on that Alan. Thanks for all of your excellent suggestions.

I like the idea of using honey as I believe that is also good for arthritis.
Author: Alan Stewart
Posted: Thu 11th Aug 2016, 13:56
Local Group: Kent
Thank you Mike and Iain for some excellent and very useful information.

Alan
Author: Iain Connell
Posted: Thu 11th Aug 2016, 11:54
Local Group: East Lancashire
Norman, Mike and all,

Norman started this thread in response to the DIY electrolyte replacement mixture which I found online and have used on warm (>14 deg C) days in the last couple of years. Mike's version makes use of electrolyte tablets and ginger. Unfortunately I have never liked ginger, and a little research implies that the water/salt/sugar mix** which I use is in about recommended proportions* for 'an inexpensive rehydration drink' except that I add less salt (daily recommended salt intake is 6gms = 1.7 UK teaspoon).

From Wikipedia:
Electrolyte solutions are normally formed when a salt [e.g. sodium, potassium, chloride, calcium, magnesium] is placed into a solvent such as water and the individual components dissociate [due to e.g. heating] ... Athletes exercising in extreme conditions (for three or more hours continuously) who do not consume electrolytes risk dehydration. A home-made electrolyte drink can be made by using water, sugar and salt [sodium chloride] in precise proportions [*].

* From webmd.com:
Oral rehydration solutions (ORSs) contain the right mix of salt, sugar, potassium, and other minerals to help replace lost fluids. You can make an inexpensive rehydration drink at home. (But do not give this homemade drink to children younger than 12.) Measure all ingredients precisely. Small variations can make the drink less effective or even harmful.
1 quart [1.13 litres] water, half teaspoon table salt, 6 teaspoons sugar.

** My fruit juice mix (from a runner's site, makes 2 litres):
Dissolve 1/2 teaspoon of salt and two desert spoonfuls honey in half a coffee mug boiled water, allow to cool, add half a mug of cranberry or pomegranate juice, half a mug of orange juice, juice of half a lemon. Add to plain water to total 2 litres, refrigerate.

The day in which I had leg-cramps was warm and very humid, otherwise no untoward effects yet encountered. On continuous summer walks I would revert to 'commercial' electrolytes (but not ginger, sorry).

Iain.
Posted: Wed 10th Aug 2016, 20:04
Hi Alan,

On a challenge event I don't just drink what I can carry. I supplement my intake with plenty of squash and tea at CPs, and I also carry a small tube of electrolyte tablets which can be dissolved in water, as and when needed. Although I usually carry a one litre bottle of my premade drink in hot weather, recently I have varied this by carrying instead two 0.5 litre Nalgene bottles . When one is finished, I make up an electrolyte in the empty bottle.

One litre bottles can be bought anywhere, but the 0.5 litre bottles seem to be rather difficult to get in this country (I bought mine in Alice Springs - it seems like the Aussies know a good product. The 0.5 litre bottles are a really useful size, very compact, leak proof in use, robust and easy to clean. I would carry more of the mixed drink sometimes but weight is a consideration and I find one litre will usually get me through a 50 mile event. On a 100, I have put another one litre bottle of the drink in my drop bag.

I see the ginger + electrolyte + lemon drink as an important supplement to the CP drinks. It really does the job in hot conditions when you are losing a lot of fluid, which needs to be replenished ASAP between CPs. It can be used gradually and you don't have to swig it by the bucketfull for it to work... The very few occasions that I have tried using canned energy drinks such as Pink Cow, it has been very sparingly, and only in an emergency (such as the middle of the second night, when I was falling asleep on my feet) I found that using a lot of Pink Cow, Blue Giraffe, Purple Turtle or similar caffeine / taurine drinks is definitely not a good idea - it works once to get you back on track, but should not be repeatedly used.
Author: Alan Stewart
Posted: Wed 10th Aug 2016, 13:40
Local Group: Kent
Hi Mike

Do you take your drink mixture with you in addition to a water supply or is it your only only source of hydration? I can imagine that for a long event, say 50 mile plus you wouldn't be able to carry enough.

Alan
Author: Deirdre Flegg
Posted: Wed 10th Aug 2016, 9:37
Hi Norman,

Just keeping this one in house...

Dried ginger would not dissolve entirely and you would end up with a powder floating on top. Fresh ginger keeps for quite a while in the fridge. Don't be put off by the huge chunks in supermarkets-just break off a smaller piece.You can get a little tool to grate the ginger after peeling-very easy.
Posted: Tue 9th Aug 2016, 21:43
I have never tried ground ginger, but I would guess it would not be to my taste. I think when the root is dried and ground it loses something of the fresh plant and also becomes more concentratedly hot and spicy (as in "curry spice", if you see what I mean )

When fresh, ginger root is a much milder and sweeter taste - it contains a lot of juice and this is (I think ) the bit that is important.

You could experiment with ground powder, to see if it works for you, but fresh root ginger is my choice. It doesn't seem to taste so strong even in quite large amounts.
Posted: Tue 9th Aug 2016, 20:16
Hi Mike.
What about ground ginger? Is that okay?
Along with the lemon in bottles I might be using the cheat's method....
Posted: Tue 9th Aug 2016, 20:12
Hi Mike

Thank you and I'll give it a go..
Tried Black Tea in Holland and although refreshing as soon as I returned to UK back to Tea with Milk!
Hope you've returned safely to Earth from Planet 100....:-)
Posted: Mon 8th Aug 2016, 20:14
Hi Norman,

I mix up a nice refreshing drink containing the following. The juice of a fresh lemon or lime (or cheat using the stuff in bottles) + fresh root ginger extract (grate a lump the size of a walnut or more to taste, pour a litre of boiling water over it, and leave to stand until cool, then strain through a sieve) + electrolyte tablets (available in sports shops and elsewhere) Put in your drinks bottle (but not a bladder) and refrigerate overnight. Alternatively in winter, it can be heated and kept in a vacuum flask as a hot drink.

You may need to experiment with the exact mix and quantities to suit your own taste.

It may sound a little complicated, but is actually quick and easy and worth the effort.

Note : contains very little sugar, and no caffeine or other nasty stuff.

The electrolyte should help to keep you properly hydrated and prevent both dehydration and hyponatraemia

The ginger is good for your stomach, and is also a natural anti-inflammatory for muscle pains

It tastes good and is not sickly sweet.

Another drink that I have had when working in hot countries is black tea with a little salt and lemon. Use a good leaf tea, not tea bags . Good hot or cold
Posted: Sun 7th Aug 2016, 12:54
What do fellow walkers drink on either challenge walks or social walks? I normally drink only water but recently have found that not to be enough. I've seen Iain Connells posting on leg cramps and his made up solution. But wondering what other members drink?

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law