Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Bothies, Ghosts and Ghouls.

Author: Mike Rayner
Posted: Sat 9th Sep 2006, 18:39
Local Group: Northumbria
I haven't slept there myself but Greg's Hut beside Cross Fell has a painting of Greg on the wall. There is a comment in the bothy book that his eyes follow you around when you get up at night for a leak (I presume to see that you shut the door).

As there is also a record that John Prescott spent the night there, this may not be strictly accurate!
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Wed 6th Sep 2006, 21:49
Local Group: Merseystride
.... a pitch black night on a Lyke Wake Walk way back in the early eighties, when there was little in the way of a path.... A grouse exploded under my descending foot and shot away, squawking like a banshee... I uttered a gross expletive in front of my 13-year old daughter ! - Garfield
Posted: Wed 6th Sep 2006, 21:21
Ever heard a trail hound give voice at 02:00 on a pitch black night?. The first time I did, I overtook Rodger Bannister down hill. This was far more scary than when "She Who Must Be Obeyed" found out how much I had spent on a new pair of boots.
David H
Author: John King
Posted: Wed 6th Sep 2006, 17:50
Sorry but Brocken Spectres don`t count as ghosts because a ghost does`t cast a shadow or reflection

Cheers john
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Wed 6th Sep 2006, 8:18
Local Group: Mid Wales
Now that is something I would like to see! just got to be in the right place, right time.
Posted: Tue 5th Sep 2006, 22:05
I guess Brocken Spectres count as Ghosts ????
Posted: Tue 5th Sep 2006, 18:25
Who are/were the Wooler Witches? any relation to the Pendle Witches?
Author: Albert Bowes
Posted: Tue 5th Sep 2006, 11:22
Local Group: North Yorkshire
Albert tells me it was the blossom on the trees waving about at dusk, but I prefer to think it was the "Wooler Witches"
Eva
Posted: Mon 4th Sep 2006, 23:15
Ok. Ok. Fat Ladies dancing in hedges....

I can still recall every painful step of that 100 and do not recall seeing FLDIH. Please explain.
Author: Philip Powell
Posted: Mon 4th Sep 2006, 20:38
Local Group: Northumbria
That was the Wooler Witches!
Author: Albert Bowes
Posted: Mon 4th Sep 2006, 19:32
Local Group: North Yorkshire
I also saw the fat ladies dancing in the hedge on the Northumbria 100, as it was my first 100 I thought I was hallucinating, good the hear its normal.
Author: Anne Wade
Posted: Mon 4th Sep 2006, 19:25
Local Group: Heart of England
No otherworldly experiences, unless you count limestone rocks pretending to be sheep or fat ladies dancing in hedges during the second night of a 100. But a couple of the scariest moments have been when a scarecrow loomed up out of the mist in a field ...waargh ... and, on another occasion, entering the black hole of a canal tunnel. In fact, I was so scared I had to take a longer route to avoid it!!
Author: Norman Corrin
Posted: Mon 4th Sep 2006, 9:09
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
Well I've seen a shooting star on The Cambridge Lowland Hike many years ago. You could say that was 'other-wordly'of a kind I suppose.........
Posted: Sun 3rd Sep 2006, 21:58
Does anyone use bothies regularly ? I guess most of them are MBA sites, here in mid Wales there are 3 bothies fairly close to home.
Now I've never spent a whole night in one, but have stopped at Moel Prysgau in the Towy forest, for a sandwich break and a cuppa, whilst on overnight runs.
This place strikes me as quite 'spooky' (when tired and alone at midnight!), just wondered if anybody had experienced any 'otherworldly occurences' either in bothies, or even when out walking at night anywhere in the UK?
Matt.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law