Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Shirley's Smiles

Author: Aaron Hookway
Posted: Mon 25th Jul 2016, 19:27
Local Group: Vermuyden (South Yorks)
Thanks all for the walk on Sunday
I hope all enjoyed the 'route' and sorry about the diversion.

I am now in the possession of a number of badges, (thanks Ian). Any other group (we only had 2 token Irregulars out ;-) wishes to walk the route... as per Ian’s response I will give out for the price of a stamp.

Aaron
Posted: Tue 19th Jul 2016, 17:20
Thanks Ian

8:30am Triton Inn Brantingham

See you there either walking or just dropping off

Aaron
Author: Ian Sykes
Posted: Tue 19th Jul 2016, 15:15
Local Group: East Yorkshire
It's OK I've found the details here. https://www.ldwa.org.uk/challenge_events/show_event.php?event_id=17067 I may join you on the walk. If not I'll make sure you get the badges.

Ian.
Posted: Tue 19th Jul 2016, 15:10
Me, hand out the badges! No, I'll let you do that. What time and place are you starting at?
Posted: Tue 19th Jul 2016, 14:40
Hi Ian

Yes. D Moloch, E Dee, and myself have thrashed the date of 24th July for Vermuyden, Irregulars and East York's to walk the route.
I will lead and add the loop as described.

Are you available to hand out the badges in your possession?

Aaron
Posted: Tue 19th Jul 2016, 13:28
Are you walking it this Sunday 24th of July?
Posted: Tue 19th Jul 2016, 13:02
Hi John
Our group (Vermuyden) walked the route a few years ago and added a loop of 3 miles. A different loop to the one we are walking Sunday.
Aaron
Author: Dr. John Batham
Posted: Tue 19th Jul 2016, 8:55
I seem to remember doing 14 miles on the original SS back in 2010; also repeated shortly after by Vermuyden and/or Irregulars.

John
Posted: Mon 18th Jul 2016, 23:45
Hi Ian et all

I have the official route description from a Vermuyden member and have been out on a recce.

Imagine my surprise to find it only 16mls ;-)
I have decided to add a little loop onto said walk and make it c19mls.

The route we are to follow, follows Shirley's Smiles route up hill and down dale to Wetton and Nutt Wood. Back towards Brantingham we loop to South Cave for lunch (the Bear inn or a choice of 2 cafe's or there is always the town hall steps) then over the 'main' road to field walk to Ellecker then back on the official route back to the Triton Inn.

I hope this is okay for all. Missing the loop and going back to the cars (it's only a short down hill section) makes it a c12ml morning.

Aaron
Posted: Fri 29th Apr 2016, 10:01
Hi Ian

I'll see you in Dorset then when i hand my bag over (travel plans sorted. Thanks for the offer tho)

We (Irregulars, E Yorks & Vermuyden) look like we have thrashed a date out.

Can you send me what you have regarding the walk and i will reimburse you any costs when i find you in Dorset?

Thanks
Aaron
Posted: Tue 26th Apr 2016, 14:46
I'll take them down just in case a Vermuyden member what's to pick them up.

We are also on the NYM 100 our swansong. Been asked to help with Kent 2018 but turned it down, we are getting a bit old now to be throwing hundreds of bags around. Will miss it, been involved one way or another with every Hundred since 1987. Doesn't time fly.
Posted: Tue 26th Apr 2016, 14:18
Hi Ian
No checkpoint at Dorset, just a couple of members attempting the event. We have been given the last CP on the NYM100 in 2017.
We are going thru a bit of a shake up at the minute (new blood n all that).
Aaron
Posted: Tue 26th Apr 2016, 12:48
Do Vermuyden have a checkpoint in Dorset? If so I'll take them down with us. The wife (Edith) will be at the HQ (baggage team) from 5pm Friday until 10am Monday if anybody what's to pick them up.
Posted: Tue 26th Apr 2016, 12:23
Good idea.
I'll get in touch with the East Yorkshire group and them Pirates.
Thanks Ian for the heads up.
I'll see if we can thrash out a date....
Posted: Mon 25th Apr 2016, 17:58
How about a joint walk with East Yorkshire or/and The Irregulars? I was out with The Irregulars last Saturday and I know some of them still collect badges. I have 35 badges.
Posted: Mon 25th Apr 2016, 17:46
Hi Ian

Thanks for this, Shirley was a long standing member of the Vermuden Group.

I will have a word at the next meeting if we want to put this on as a special one off group walk.

How many badges do you have for said walk?

Aaron (Vermuden group walk Coordinator)
Posted: Mon 25th Apr 2016, 14:08
Just been having a long overdue sort out of some paperwork and I've found some route descriptions and badges for the one off Shirley's Smiles walk held in 2010. It's a 20 mile walk from Ellerker, East Yorkshire. If anybody wants to do the walk I'm happy to send you a copy with a badge for the price of the stamp.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law