Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - - Pennine April 2016 -

Author: Freddy van der Meij
Posted: Wed 5th Oct 2016, 8:03
Local Group: Cumbria
Hello Fellow walkers, it took me some time but i am uploading my Pennine Way pictures to some nice facebook albums. so if you have not seen any yet feel free to take a peek..

PW Day 10
PW Day 9
PW Day 8
PW Day 7
PW Day 6
PW Day 5
PW Day 4
PW Day 3
PW Day 2
PW Day 1
Posted: Sun 31st Jan 2016, 18:11
Checked in with the Earyby YHA but it is fuly booked by a group of yoga people.

If the wheater is bad i can nock on the door and the make some room in the prive section.

But wild camp it will be, if any of you knows a good spot i will take that into acount
Posted: Sun 31st Jan 2016, 18:09
I will look into it ian :)

Got most of the days planned. few more dots in the i

- Some advise on Bellingham to Byrness is walking on to the first refuge Hut a good option ?
seems like a good spot to stay or camp and makes the last day slightly shorter.
Author: Iain Connell
Posted: Fri 29th Jan 2016, 16:44
Local Group: East Lancashire
Hi again Freddy

Back-browsing earlier LDPs entries in the Forum, I found a detailed list of PW overnights posted in 2009 by Stuart Dodson. I recognise (but can't verify) some of the places used, so even given the seven-year gap they should be worth looking up and/or recording for your trip.

Look for 'Pennine Way' in the 'Long Distance Paths' page.

Iain
Author: Iain Connell
Posted: Sun 24th Jan 2016, 15:54
Local Group: East Lancashire
Earby YHA is good (now volunteer-run) and Earby has a food shop (Co-op) and cafes (not expensive) and takeaways as well as a pub (more expensive food but near the hostel). It's off the PW but on the moor-side edge of the village. Closed till 5pm (or was) but has a rear porch.

Ponden campsite is (or was) semi-wild and very self-catering (but there are, or were, showers). Ponden b&b (who own[ed] the campsite) still does wonderful breakfasts (confirmed by a recent blogger). Haworth YHA is a long way off the route, unless you want to explore the Parsonage (PW route goes past Top Withens).

Iain
Author: Raymond Wilkes
Posted: Sat 9th Jan 2016, 21:06
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Freddy
Here are 3 ways not to carry a tent. Costs more but much nicer. The PW is a really good walk esp last section from Byrness. When you have finished do the Southern Uplands Way which can also be split into easy tent free walks.
Check this out to split last section
Barrowburn Farm, Harbottle, Morpeth Northumberland NE65 7BP
GR NT867107 Mrs E Tait Tel: 01669 650312 / 621176
email: stay@barrowburn.com Website: www.barrowburn.com
Beds: 2 Twin B&B: £30
Evening meal £10 Packed Lunch £5
Transport available towards Pennine Way by arrangement.
see also http://penninewayassociation.co.uk/accommodation
and
Old Post Office B&B, 1 Otterburn Green, Byrness Village, Northumberland NE19 1TS
GR: NT764027 Joyce Taylor Tel: 07880711807
email: joycetaylor1703@hotmail.co.uk Website: www.oldpostofficebyrness.co.uk
Beds: 1 Twin & 1 Double with ensuite cloakroom B&B: £28 pppn
1 Double with private bathroom. B&B: £30 pppn
Evening meal: £8 Packed lunch: £5
2 Night package with bus ride up to halfway point on Cheviots (GR NT855125), to split thye
Cheviot section available. Ring for details.
and
http://www.thefarmhouseatkirkyetholm.com/page12.htm
Posted: Fri 8th Jan 2016, 20:21
hello Tony thank you for the intel :) be asured i will look into it and also lookiing forward to the new strider.

so far my planning is taking slow progress a lot of accomodations are full (specially the YHA,s ) so i have trown some more wild camp options in it. Also broke the last section 40km into 2 sections
I know i can do it but i do not like walking 40km with a huge backpack the last 15km will be no joy at all.
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Fri 8th Jan 2016, 14:05
Local Group: Lakeland
Hello Freddy,
Three recommendations are:-
1. Malham youth hostel. I stayed in the excellent refurbished annexe and there is a nice pub not far away.
2. The Tan Hill Inn should not be missed. They have bunk rooms.
3. Joyce and Colin at the Forest View Inn in Byrness provide an excellent service for walkers. Great food, a bar, a shuttle service to Windy Gyle if you need it - and Colin cleans and dries your boots ready for next morning!
I have written an article on the PW which should appear in April Strider.
Posted: Sun 3rd Jan 2016, 17:30
For 23 April i think ill brake it up in 2 parts so i have more time to expolre the surroundings of High Cup Langdon Beck seems to be just the place instead of going the full 32Km to Dufton
Posted: Sun 3rd Jan 2016, 12:41
Hello Walkers..

After doing the Coast 2 Coast and West Highland Way 2 times and the East Highland Way 1 time
I will now planning the Pennine Way Walk..

Route planning is a bit more work then the routes i have done before. and i will have a mix of accomodations wild camping, camping B&B,s and Bunkhouses

I am haf way my planning. and if some of you have a good tip where to stay or a good wild camp spot or a good diversion of the route then i like to hear about it. :)
And if you are walking yourself and you can join me for a section or sections then you are most welcome

- 12 April Amsterdam to Manchester of to Edale walk to upperbooth then Camp
- 13 April Upperbooth to Crowden Wild camp or crowden campsite not sure yet.
- 14 April Crowden to Standedge stay at Sunfield B&B
- 15 April Standedge to Jacks Bridge near Hebden Bridge Camp at New Delight Pub
- 16 April Jack Bridge to Ponden camp at Ponden guest House
- 17 April Ponden to Earby undecided Wild camp or stay at the Earby YhA
- 18 April Earby to Malhalm Camp at Gordale Scar
- 19 April Malhalm to Horton in R Golden Lion inn Bunkhouse
- 20 April Horton in R to Hawes Stay at Fair View B&B
- 21 April Hawes to Keld stay at Park lodge been here 2 times before on the C2C will be great to see some Coasters
- 22 April Keld to Baldersdale camp at cloverlodge or use the barn Bowes seems to have nothing left for walkers Bowes loop is a option in wet conditions
- 23 April not planned yet
- 24 April not planned yet
- 25 April my birthday so i will find the best place to stay and celebrate and i hope with some fellow walkers..
and the rest is a work in progress as we speak.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law