Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Walking Tour Companies

Author: Louise Whittaker
Posted: Thu 19th Nov 2015, 22:04
Local Group: Staffordshire
I've used a company that offered 'self navigation' routes - and have done all the booking arranged and luggage transported. They did allow some flexibility in the daily distances walked. Used the same company about three times.
Author: Iain Connell
Posted: Tue 17th Nov 2015, 10:46
Local Group: East Lancashire
I've been on a few walking holidays with walking tour companies. The only specific points regarding experience of particular companies would be two hair-raising vehicle journeys, one by 100Km/hr taxi and, another a too-fast-for-the-bad-track 4-wheel vehicle drive to the day's starting point. One of those companies had a fatality involving another vehicle journey (on a different walking tour) in succeeding years. So I think it may be advisable to avoid those with 'transport provided' in the tour description, and/or make sure your travel insurance covers such eventualities.

Other than that, my experience has been good. There's now plenty of reviews to look for online, and others' feedback is always interesting. The LDWA might not be the place to find that, though, since it's my belief (and it is) that, relative to other walking associations, LDWAers might be less drawn to organised walking holidays. With the internet in particular, we tend to make up our own routes and tours, and do them at a faster rate !

Iain
Author: Carol Cartwright
Posted: Mon 16th Nov 2015, 12:11
Local Group: West Lancashire
Hi, my name is Carol and I doing a Tourism degree and was hoping for some help. I am creating a report on the use of walking tour holiday companies and would love some feedback as to why walkers would/wouldn't use them. If you can help in any way please contact me at 33cc68@gmail.com
Thank you in advance for any help

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law