Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Wenlock Olympian Walk - route

Author: John Pennifold
Posted: Fri 24th Jul 2015, 13:04
Local Group: London
Here's a link to the video that I shot during the Wenlock Olympian Walk 2015: http://youtu.be/AIZIBbleI58
Posted: Thu 23rd Jul 2015, 10:04
Now that the results have been sent out via SIEntries, I have taken the liberty of ordering them by 'Event Time'.
You can access those results here: http://adventures-johnjrp01.blogspot.co.uk/
Author: Heather Aston
Posted: Tue 21st Jul 2015, 21:25
Local Group: Thames Valley
Thanks for a great challenging event with service with a smile from all the check points.
Posted: Mon 20th Jul 2015, 17:16
Alan, thanks for the compliments. Yes, I noticed that it was a bit dark in Hughley (but at least you recognised it). Something to do with the sun going down I think.
I hope you'll forgive me for not knowing your face. I spoke to lots of people but hardly anybody told me their names & I soon confused them all anyway.
Author: Alan Champion
Posted: Mon 20th Jul 2015, 15:00
Local Group: Marches
Hughley!
Posted: Mon 20th Jul 2015, 15:00
Great photos, John. (Maybe a bit too dark in Hugely!)
It was a pleasure to meet you.
Author: Mark Garratt
Posted: Sun 19th Jul 2015, 21:43
Local Group: Heart of England
Thanks to the organisers great event but tough . Good excellent as always with Ldwa events best in the country . Just a few comments I would like to make 10am for runners I found too late a start due to the heat and distance between checkpoints . I took over a 1 ltr of fluids and ran out . Being runners that's getting on the limit you can carry with rest of gear you need

Great event but the last leg with hope bowlder . Little carodoc and the lawley brutal and the overgrown paths

But all in all thank you for a great event with super support , food and memento well done all round
Author: Janet Pitt-Lewis
Posted: Sun 19th Jul 2015, 18:45
Some great photos John - much appreciated
Posted: Sun 19th Jul 2015, 15:39
My photos of yesterday's Wenlock Olympian Walk can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/john_pp/sets/72157653743276794/
Author: Steve Platt
Posted: Tue 7th Jul 2015, 21:16
Thanks Deirdre. I'll have a look at their website.
Author: Deirdre Flegg
Posted: Tue 7th Jul 2015, 12:50
Local Group: Dorset
Should have said you will need to book in advance.
Author: Deirdre Flegg
Posted: Mon 6th Jul 2015, 20:49
Local Group: Dorset
There's a great campsite about half a mile walk from the WOW HQ at Sytche Farm. Quiet, well run, lovely views. Stayed there twice on prvious WOWs.
Posted: Mon 6th Jul 2015, 16:28
I just got the latest info re this, which says the folliowing, in case anyone else is wondering: The event centre is at the Priory Hall and will be open from 6.30 am on Saturday until 10.00 am on Sunday. A quiet sleeping area will be available.
Posted: Mon 6th Jul 2015, 10:40
I expect to be finishing this is the early hours - too late for a B&B. Does anyone know if it will be possible to get an hour or two's sleep at the finish - or if there's a campsite or space to pitch a small tent nearby? Thanks.
Author: Mark Edwards
Posted: Sun 5th Jul 2015, 16:31
Local Group: Merseystride
I've done all three WOWs so far - you get a few nettles and brambles, as you'd expect in July. However, for me, the stings/scratches are far less discomfort than what I would get from over-heating if I wore long trousers rather than shorts on a July day.
Posted: Fri 3rd Jul 2015, 8:15
Alan, Thanks for the under/overgrowth warning.
What form(s) are we talking about? Fields of high crops? Brambles? Impassable footpaths? Stinging nettles?
Is anybody from the Marches group going to attempt battle with it beforehand?
Are trousers recommended?
Many thanks
Posted: Thu 2nd Jul 2015, 11:04
By the way, and I write this as a private individual who has just done battle with the hated mower and not as a Marches spokesman:-

Spare us this year your comments on overgrowth. This is England and this is July...
Posted: Wed 1st Jul 2015, 13:15
Hi John,
Email me alanchampion6@gmail.com
Posted: Mon 29th Jun 2015, 18:13
Will there be a GPX file for the route or has anybody created one from the route description?
Author: Janet Pitt-Lewis
Posted: Fri 22nd May 2015, 19:02
The website has crashed and apparently needs a complete rebuild - but you can still enter via sientries - see event details in the challenge walk section of this website. Route now available at http://www.sproson.com/wowroute.pdf

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law