Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Notice Board - Pennine Way 50th redux ?

Author: Iain Connell
Posted: Fri 15th May 2015, 12:29
Local Group: East Lancashire
I walked the Pennine Way in 1969 and 1970, just four and five years after its opening and when it and I were rather younger than my 66 years. Since then I've done around twenty LDPs and other trails including three coast-to-coasts of my own design, but apart from chunks in the Yorkshire Dales and South Pennines (near where I now live) I haven't returned. For example, since 1969 I've not been up Cross Fell or High Cup Nick, visited Alston, or been on the Cheviots, not to mention Hadrian's Wall or Kirk Yetholm.

It's time for a re-visit. I'm proposing a single or double Pennine Way journey to mark 50 more less continuous years of distance walking. I intend to do the whole of the PW once more as a backpack, the only question being which year or years (could be 2019 and 2020, or a single year between now and then). I might write it up for Strider. It will be interesting to see how much of that young man's walk I remember, and how much has changed in both the landscape and myself in the intervening 50 years.

Anyone else who did the PW 50 years ago but not since - interested in joining me ? Could it be a joint venture, with or without support - which year was it, and does it have to be exactly 50 years since ? And what time of year ? Ideas and suggestions, please.

Iain

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law