Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - Over Pronation - Problems

Author: Raymond Wilkes
Posted: Tue 10th Mar 2015, 20:34
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Richard
Glad to hear of your NHS success, but it is hit and miss.
I have used NHS twice and first time I was given useful insoles the next time useless ones
I used private twice and both times good but very expensive
I get by on shop bought insoles. Stretches help if I remember to do them
Author: Richard Long
Posted: Fri 6th Mar 2015, 9:20
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
I am an overpronator. Discomfort was manageable for me with shop-bought insoles in boots but, of course, boots are not ideal for every walk. In 2011 I walked the West Highland Way, Great Glen Way, and Speyside way with all high-mileage days and no rest days wearing lightweight trail shoes. That I finished was a triumph of will over good sense as the ankle pain was the worst I have experienced.

The solution was the NHS. I went to my GP who referred me to a podiatry clinic for a very thorough assessment and explanation of my issues. I was given tips on posture and gait, the muscles to strengthen and the stretches to do. I was given custom-made insoles that fit in my boots, running shoes, and work shoes. The first pair was free, duplicates (so I don't have to keep swapping) were £25.

I now suffer no discomfort (except in the extreme conditions when everyone does) and srongly recommend the NHS approach to other overprononators.
Author: Mark Donohoe
Posted: Fri 14th Nov 2014, 20:13
Local Group: Surrey
Thank you Raymond and Peter for your advice. You both agree that full length is the best option and I can see the logic in your reasoning.
I have noticed a number of forum posts in which Superfeet orthotic insoles have been recommended. Looking at customer reviews, a few complain about them initially being uncomfortable due to the firm plastic used. Not helpful for blister prevention on long walks! However the majority of users are full of praise, although many grumble about the cost of them.
On the recent Founders Challenge on the Surrey Hills I suffered a bit of black toe problem as a result of the very steep descent into Abinger Hammer. This was one of my reasons for enquiring about 3/4 length insoles. I was concerned that full length might reduce the effective height of the toe box.
Which leads on to my next question . What colour Superfeet?
Green appears to be the recommendation for walking/hiking but I understand they are 3/16 inch thick. I can foresee black toe problems there!
The Blue which have less arch support, I have seen termed as “medium volume”. Not sure if this means that they are thinner and so might allow more height in the toe box. Or is this term just a reference to the reduced arch support. Were I to buy the wrong ones it could be an expensive mistake!
Author: Peter Steckles
Posted: Wed 12th Nov 2014, 20:15
Local Group: East Lancashire
I think that a full length insole is best if it will fit into the shoe and accommodate the toes.

The full length insole assumes that there is enough room in the toe box of the shoe to accommodate the toes, which will suffer if they are pushed up against the inside of the toe box.

I think 3/4 length insoles are designed to give the toes more room to wiggle about, and it seems to me that the foot was not designed to have an abrupt edge (which some 3/4 insoles have) to walk on.

If the edge of the 3/4 insole is too abrupt, then there could be a reaction across the foot where this line occurs. Bringing the line to just behind the metatarsal heads might help as might a very shallow chamfer. (a bench grinder could do this). Ouch! Grind the insole not the foot!!!

Having the insole fitted when the boots are new to accommodate both the insole and the toes would be favourite.
Author: Raymond Wilkes
Posted: Sat 8th Nov 2014, 15:07
Local Group: West Yorkshire
I use insoles like Superfeet and some more expensive types. I prefer full length as shorter ones lead to hard skin where the sole ends. This puts on pressure and its like walking on blisters!
My pronation leads to Plantar fasciitis and all sorts of inflammation and lumps on my leg and ankle tendons. If I am going for a walking holiday I take Ibuprofen, but otherwise I just try to ignore the problems.

It is good to use a heavy stiff walking boot if you have these problems. Brasher boots are lovely to walk in at first, but if you have foot problems and light comfy boots the problems quickly get out of control, at least in my case.
Author: Mark Donohoe
Posted: Fri 7th Nov 2014, 21:06
Local Group: Surrey
As an over pronater, I was years ago, recommended to use motion control running shoes, and in particular Brooks Beast. The Brooks Beast featured a built in support for the foot arch.
My left foot over pronates the most, and recently I have been getting aches and pains in my left ankle and knee, both of which I believe to be as a result of over pronation.
For winter walking and the inevitable mud, I want something with a bit more grip than offered by my running shoes. I would like to know if there are any walking boots/shoes or trail running shoes available with built in motion control features. In the absence of such features, I suppose that I will have to use over the counter orthotic insoles.
With regard to arch support insoles, is it recommended to go for full length or ¾ length? What are the pros and cons of each type?
I am sure that there are LDWA members who have had this problem, and resolved it. So any advice or suggestions?

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law