Discussion Forum - Events - Winter Poppyline 2015

Author: David J Hooper
Posted: Fri 20th Mar 2015, 14:18
Local Group: Cornwall & Devon
Many thanks
Author: Chris Flood
Posted: Thu 19th Mar 2015, 12:16
Local Group: Norfolk & Suffolk
The results are now on the Norfolk and Suffolk group website under the Results tab. Apologies for the delay!
Posted: Mon 16th Mar 2015, 16:34
Hi there any news on when the results will be published?
Author: Annabel Wood
Posted: Tue 3rd Mar 2015, 16:39
Local Group: London
Thank you (a bit belatedly!) to all involved in organising and running this year's Winter Poppyline. What a great event and a brilliant way to restart my favourite passtime after a horrible 9 months or so fighting off breast cancer. The 2012 WP was my first long distance walk with the LDWA and the event where I was 'bitten by the walking bug' so I had a sentimental attachment already - it is now my absolute favourite 50 (so far)
Author: Julian Sharpe
Posted: Wed 25th Feb 2015, 14:33
Local Group: South Wales
Thanks to all the organisers and marshallls of this event. It was a great day (and night), much enjoyed.
Posted: Tue 24th Feb 2015, 19:38
I would also like to extend a big thank you to all those who organised the Winter Poppyline. My first time and thoroughly enjoyed it. Weather was great and the camaraderie with those that i was criss crossing was great.

It was especially nice when flagging i stopped at the pub and asked for a coke, when i told the bar lady what we were doing she said don't bother paying priceless. Despite the insistence of the locals to stop for a pint i managed to get in before dark and was then able to welcome people back until i had to get some sleep.

Well done to all organisers and participants both.
Author: Louise Whittaker
Posted: Tue 24th Feb 2015, 17:02
Local Group: Staffordshire
Yes indeed - a big thank you. Liked that we could sign out and set off a wee bit before 8am; excellent support. Liked that the c/point closing times did not pile on pressure, and we made good time anyway. Whoever was on 'eggs on toast' duty at 3am - they were beautifully cooked eggs; and homemade soup at 38 miles was yummy; hot chocolate at the outdoor c/point four miles from the end - very reviving; and then the surprise 'adhoc' support at Cromer. Liked the varied scenery of woods, heathland, rolling, and as previously commented - the night sky was absolutely stunning. Cold when not 'moving' - so much appreciation for persons at the outdoor c/points. Thank you!!!
Author: Janet Pitt-Lewis
Posted: Mon 23rd Feb 2015, 21:23
Local Group: Marches
Pre event confusion sorted and excellent organisation on the day. First class food - and you managed to order a fantastic night sky
Author: John Cunnane
Posted: Mon 23rd Feb 2015, 20:18
Local Group: South Wales
Brilliant event - many thanks to the N & S Group and all the marshalls - especially those out in the cold at night - for all their support
Author: Alan Stewart
Posted: Mon 23rd Feb 2015, 12:05
Local Group: Kent
My first Winter Poppyline and what a great event with an excellent start and finish venue. Thank you to all involved in the organisation and running of the event, particularly the marshals, although we were blessed with great weather it was cold and it's easy for us who are walking to keep warm, but the marshals have to stand around in the cold catering for our every need, not so easy for them to keep warm, especially the marshals at the last checkpoint who gave us a very warm welcome despite there vehicles covered in frost and them looking like over sized Micheline Men with all their layers on. My hot cup of coffee was very welcome. In the words of Arnie "I'll be back"
Author: Armorel Young
Posted: Mon 23rd Feb 2015, 11:58
Local Group: Sherwood
I'd just like to second Kay's comments - a great event impeccably organised, with the splendid weather an additional bonus. Putting on a 50 is no mean feat and for walkers it is particularly nice to get one under one's belt at this time of year, so many thanks to all organisers and helpers for their hard work.
Author: Chris Flood
Posted: Mon 23rd Feb 2015, 10:35
Sorry for any confusion - I have now changed the menu title on our website from Entry Forms to Events which is more logical.
Author: Kay Smith
Posted: Sun 22nd Feb 2015, 17:07
Thank you to the organisers, marshals and check point angels for all your hard work in pulling off a great Poppyline. This was my first Winter Poppyline and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The route description was clear with added assurances, great for people like me - the easily lost - and I thought the route had some great sights along the way. The bonus check point in Cromer gave a real boost to morale and sugar levels! Clear blue skies to start, and a wonderful starry sky to finish...perfect! Please pass thanks to all who who made this walk a real event.
Posted: Tue 17th Feb 2015, 13:35
Ignore my last post, I have just noticed it has been covered on the Norfolk & Suffolk Website under Entry Forms. Obviously wasn't paying attention when I downloaded it.
Posted: Tue 17th Feb 2015, 13:29
On the Route Description shouldn't the grid reference at paragraph 42.4 read TG 268 317 and not TG 286 317?
Author: Michelle Armour
Posted: Sat 14th Feb 2015, 21:36
Janet, so sorry you have so many moans! Maybe a 5 minute phone call mentioning all the issues you had would of been quicker than counting the abbreviations? As I'm sure you'll appreciate organising an event such as this is a huge workload and doing the route description alone is a difficult and time consuming job. Look forward to seeing you on the day, hopefully everything will run like clockwork and your'll enjoy yourself with no other disappointments :-) Did you keep a receipt for the map, i'm sure they'll swap it if you ask them nicely? Chelle x
Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Wed 11th Feb 2015, 22:09
Local Group: West Yorkshire
I am just so grateful it's on this year - I really missed it last year.
Author: Janet Pitt-Lewis
Posted: Wed 11th Feb 2015, 14:07
Local Group: Marches
I am pleased you are excited Madeleine. Myself - I am really hacked off. By the link on the LDWA event details to the event website that when you click on Winter Poppyline just sends you back to the LDWA page. By the fact that my email inquiry about the route description was not awnsered. By the fact that the route description was posted without anyone alerting us that the event details had been updated and when it is posted it goes under the part of the website headed "entry forms" only to be discovered by accident. By the 43 abbreviations listed at the top of the route description (including PSB for poop scoop bin). By the fact that despite all these abbreviations the words are still written in full at odd places (eg Kissing gate page 2). By the mystery of the decision that we really needed the post code of Avenue Farm Mannington. BUT MOST OF ALL by the fact that I was told in the entry form that I needed maps OL 40 and explorer 252 - so I went and bought them - only to find I do not need OL40 but I do need explorer 251 so I am just on my way to buy another map.
Posted: Mon 9th Feb 2015, 21:00
Gosh it is different! Looking forward to it.
Author: Aaron Hookway
Posted: Sat 7th Feb 2015, 14:46
Local Group: Vermuyden (South Yorks)
Having only walked the winter poppyline once staring from Cromer, I assume the route will be very different.
I have scrubbed my old GPX and await the RD with particular interest.
Author: Ee Berwick
Posted: Sat 7th Feb 2015, 13:03
Local Group: North of Scotland
Ditto.
I have found some old gpx files, but not having done it before, I am not sure of which way around the loop it goes :-)
Indeed, there may well be route changes too...
Author: Louise Whittaker
Posted: Wed 4th Feb 2015, 22:15
Local Group: Staffordshire
Hi - Any news of when the route description will be available on the Norfolk/Suffolk website for the Winter Poppyline. Really could do with studying it this weekend. Thanks
Posted: Thu 28th Aug 2014, 23:30
Excellent! Thanks Dave. Looking forward to that one as well.
Author: David Findel-Hawkins
Posted: Thu 28th Aug 2014, 11:42
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
Madeleine

Woldsman 2015

Details yet to be sent to Events Sec but I believe it will be taking place on 11-12th April 2015
Posted: Wed 27th Aug 2014, 9:56
Really great to see the Winter Poppyline back again. Thanks. Looking forward to it.

It's prompted me to look at the events for next year - couldn't see a date for the Woldsman. Have I missed it?
Author: Michael Jones
Posted: Sun 24th Aug 2014, 12:02
Local Group: Heart of England
For the Poppyline, is there any chance the school might permit camping within the grounds the night before? I've looked up B&Bs in Aylsham, and they aren't cheap.
Author: W. Paul Tremere
Posted: Sat 23rd Aug 2014, 17:56
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Elton,
As far as the Woldsman is concerned the simple answer is, “Yes”, though the H & S regulations seem to be sensible rather than over-enthusiastic.
The building is of wooden construction and fire regulations / insurance do not permit overnight sleeping. On reflection, this seems a reasonable precaution.
In order to hire the premises, an EYLDWA member must sign the insurance papers / hire agreement. Consequently, if the unthinkable happened, they would be negligent and liable, with dire consequences!
Who is willing to take that risk?
Not me!
Last year camping / motor homes etc were permitted and there is plenty of affordable B&B accommodation in the area.
Author: Julie Welch
Posted: Sat 23rd Aug 2014, 15:15
Local Group: London
Elton, I would think it's more likely to be due to the hire cost/availability of the hall overnight, and possibly the reluctance of volunteers to give up yet more spare time!
Posted: Fri 22nd Aug 2014, 23:45
Could I suggest that events not offering accommodation the night before at least have a slightly later start time, to enable more people to get there? I live in Norfolk, so the Poppyline is my 'local' challenge event, but no floor space + town with no station means the earliest I could possibly get to Aylsham by public transport would be 8.15 (and even that involves catching a bus at 5.30) - never mind anyone coming from further afield.

Every other issue of Strider seems to include a lament that certain events are having to be discontinued due to lack of support - but how are we expected to support them if we can't get to them?
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Fri 22nd Aug 2014, 12:52
Local Group: Surrey
No Friday night floor space. First the Woldsman, now the Poppyline. Another Challenge event made impractical. Are these victims of over-enthusiastic H&S interpretations?
Posted: Wed 20th Aug 2014, 0:00
Thanks for that, Dave - I'd been wondering only today if it was going to be on. Looks like the combination of a different start point and no Friday night accommodation is going to make the logistics rather trickier for those of us without cars, though - I'll probably have to hope there's someone else coming from my direction who I could cadge a lift with.
Author: Chris Boden
Posted: Tue 19th Aug 2014, 23:32
Ooooh, Aylsham start instead of Cromer! Assuming it's still run clockwise, that should make for a very different feel to the route, wiith precious daylight being used for Blickling and Felbrigg Parks instead of wasted on that boring railway path .....
Author: David Findel-Hawkins
Posted: Tue 19th Aug 2014, 10:09
Missing from August Strider. Details now listed under events.

Winter Poppyline 21st/22nd Feb 2015

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law