Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - Highly recommended walking holiday - SDW & NDW

Author: Raymond Wilkes
Posted: Sat 8th Nov 2014, 15:18
Local Group: West Yorkshire
We have finally completed the N Downs way. The Surrey section is really nice. We did not find it overgrown, although there were a few fallen tress to get round, shades of Southern Uplands Way! It was nice and Autumnal, but we will try repeat a few sections to see summer flowers

The S Downs way is even better in my opinion, but the N Downs Way is certainly worth doing.
The only problem with it is traffic noise and quite few dangerous road crossings. The Pennine Bridleway, for cyclists as well as walkers has pelican crossings on most roads, why are pedestrian lives thought to be more disposable than cyclists lives I wonder.

All the N Downs way east of the Medway viaduct can be done by using buses and trains staying Canterbury as a base. Saves carrying the bags, but you have extra fares!

Only 2 more LDPs to go now!
Posted: Sat 25th Oct 2014, 12:41
We have finally found time to do a bit more of the N Downs Way.
We walked from Borstall to Merstham, lovely walking and the path seemed to be in a good state. One windy day brought down a load of tree branches but I kicked or moved most of them off the path.
Of course it would be a nicer walk if the M25 was closed!
Posted: Fri 25th Jul 2014, 17:36
The Southdowns Way is one of my favourites. We still have a week to do on the western N Downs Way, so I am sorry to hear it is overgrown
Many of our LDP's, and paths generally, are badly neglected and a campaign is needed.
On the N Downs Way near Dover is damaged by off road vehicle use and has several dangerous road crossings, as do many LDPs
Offa's Dike near Kington has fallen trees blocking the way. The government says it wants people to be more active for a healthier Britain, but is overseeing a cutback on footpath maintenance!

There seem to be a lot of money for cyclists, which I support, but there are more walkers and walking is easier to access, so should be just as well funded
Author: Graham Perry
Posted: Fri 25th Jul 2014, 13:52
Local Group: Kent
I've just completed an excellent walking holiday. It was great to get out of London and up onto the Downs. The weather has been wonderful and only put on a w/proof jacket once and then only for about 10 minutes.

Started at Alfriston did the loop via Eastbourne back to Alfriston then on to Winchester. There I picked up The St. Swithun's Way across to Farnham. From there I walked down to Dover via Folkestone, caught a train back to Wye and then went via Canterbury back to Dover. On the last day walked over the cliffs to Deal.

I was amazed how quiet most of the route seemed with some stretches of the North Downs so over grown not sure that anyone had passed that way in weeks.

Sadly it's now over and work beckons, where to next I wonder !

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law