Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - The 3 Rings of Shap - A Proper Challenge Walk

Author: Gordon Aspin
Posted: Tue 4th Jul 2006, 21:16
As one of the relatively small number who managed all three rings, I have to say that notwithstanding the challenge, it was an outstanding event. Personally I found that the return to Shap at the end of each ring really helped me psychologically as I only ever focused on the distance to the end of each ring, rather than the distance to the end of the whole event. And as the night sections for me are always the most exciting, there was never any question about giving up after the second ring.

But even if you cannot manage all three, you must do the Mosedale ring - the Lake District scenery is superb.

Thanks Tony for organising a great day's walking!
Author: Tony Deall
Posted: Tue 20th Jun 2006, 15:55
Local Group: Cumbria
Thanks Andrew – I guessed you had enjoyed your weekend by the big smile on your face every time I saw you. Well done. The provisional date for next year is 16.6.07 when the weather will be good again. We had 77 starters this year as against 110 last year – down 30% so a bit disappointing though I think most people had a good time. 30 entered for the full 100 K and 12 completed it. All the others, however, completed at least 1 Ring and most did 2 Rings i.e. 42 miles so they also had a good day out. Don’t let any worries about the checkpoints put anyone off – there are 5 on the 100 K. CP’s 1,3, & 5 are in barns or tented with cold food and drink. CP’s 2 & 4 offer major luxury back at HQ with facilities up to but not including lap dancers! The main challenge, as ever, is leaving Shap for the third time! I know – I’ve been there twice; succeeded once, failed once.
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Tue 20th Jun 2006, 15:20
Local Group: Lakeland
I was one of the wimps who only did one Ring, but the Mosedale circuit was superb. The route description said the Swindale waterfalls section was idyllic and it was no overstatement. For a tiny group, Cumbria do a great job. The food was particularly good - rhubarb crumble to die for and the best pie this side of the Northumberland Hundred!
Author: Andrew Clabon
Posted: Mon 19th Jun 2006, 12:13
Local Group: South Wales
If you like events with a difference, you will like this.

Three circular routes (rings) starting and finishing at Shap. The scenery/terrain and distances of each loop vary. This means if you do more than one loop it’s like doing a completely different walk.
Support/checkpoints are minimal which helps to make the event a proper challenge.

I chose all three rings (I needed to justify the 500 mile drive) making up the full distance of 100km and I had a fabulous time.

Route description was spot on, Cumbrian hospitality first class and it didn’t rain once!

Entries were down on last year which was a little disappointing so I feel sorry for the Cumbrian Group. A lot of effort for only 80+ people. Not everyone entered all rings. This event should be more popular. I suggest you contact Tony for the date of next year’s event.

The full route is not easy. Many people got back to Shap after the second ring and had to think long and hard. Do they go back out and do ring 3 mainly in the dark, or call it a day as the car was just outside. I suppose this is part of the attraction of the event. In the end only 13 went back out. Tony may be able to tell us how many planned to do all 3 rings before they started.

Thanks again Cumbrian Group.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law