Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Ideas Forum - Discontinued challenge walks

Author: Dan Kidd
Posted: Wed 30th Apr 2014, 22:13
Local Group: North Yorkshire
As a fairly new member (2 years) of the LDWA I have been doing regular challenge events in the north of England, primarily Yorks, Lancs & Peak District. I am one of those people who likes to do different walks each year, rather than doing the same challenge walks. I also cherish the badges awarded on the walks as mementos/reminders of the walks. Looking back on various websites and speaking to other walkers who have been in the LDWA for a long time, it is clear that there have been a great many challenge walks in the past which are no longer held, many of which are greatly missed. My question/idea is two-fold:

Could more of these past challenge events be opened up to new LDWA members and new generations of walkers as Anytime Challenges? Route descriptions are still available for many of the walks on websites such as Moorland Challenge, and it must be fairly straightforward to get batches of badges printed.

Alternatively/additionally, is there any kind of means whereby long-standing members wishing to thin out their badge collections (I'm thinking of walkers who may have done repeat ex-challenge events, and who may have multiple badges from the same event) may make them available to new members wishing to walk these old challenge events? Perhaps a free ads page where they could be purchased from the seller, or even by a donation to the LDWA?

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law