Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - Southern Upland Way update

Author: Raymond Wilkes
Posted: Mon 5th Jun 2023, 15:16
Local Group: West Yorkshire
The Kenmuir Arms at New Luce is definately open now.
There is B & B at Polgown which breaks up a long section.
I have had several recent reports that all the path is in good order
Posted: Wed 29th Jun 2022, 18:20
Various inaccuracies on the Southern Uplands Way OS mapping have now been corrected and the whole route is correct now on the online maps
Posted: Wed 21st Oct 2020, 20:41
This route is due to get a considerable amount of investment and has a new website https://dgtrails.org/southern-upland-way/
The website has a contact form and can be used to report footpath problems. The rangers would like feedback so that they can deal with problems more promptly
Posted: Thu 15th Jan 2015, 17:45
One of the most claustrophobic section of the Southern Uplands Way is a 2 mile section in forest named Purgatory Burn (!) just east of New Luce.
I have found today that it is going to be clear felled this year to make way for a wind farm which will then be planted with broad leaves even though the land may be too high up for them to thrive.
An extensive view of broad leaves and moors with wind turbines is better than no view!
And that section will now be free of wind blow blockages
All new commercial plantations are now only 85% conifers and these will be mixed rather than a monoculture. The remaining 15% will be open land of broad leaves. Definitely an improvement.
Posted: Wed 14th Jan 2015, 9:43
I understand that the Forestry commission is now going to prioritise keeping the S Uplands Way cleared of windblown trees. This will release time for the rangers to deal with any other problems.
The fallen trees were the only real obstacle for walkers. The bogs are not so bad and can be dealt with by being careful.
This walk deserves to be much more popular. While most LDWA walkers will want to do it as a challenge, it can be done as an easy trail in short sections spread over a long time. How to do this is now on the web here
http://where2walk.co.uk/long-distance-walks/southern-upland-way/update-southern-upland-way/
Posted: Tue 30th Sep 2014, 10:17
I have now completed this superb trail, we walked from Moffat to Melrose this time. Scenically this is a wonderful section. I remembered that the Minch Moor section was worth redoing and it was despite the rain that day. We only had 2 days rain on the 4 trips, ironically in the driest September ever. The rain was light but we lost out a bit on views. No people from Moffat to Tibbie Shiels then it got busier, mostly due to a large Duke of Edinburgh party at St Mary's Loch and cyclists on Minch Moor.

It is a fine route which needs a bit of tlc from the authorities, especially the Forestry interests who should be made to pro-actively remove fallen trees.The walk should be a challenge but not like an army assault course. If you do the walk please complain abt fallen trees.

If you would like to be pampered have a break at www.stmaryslochbedandbreakfast.co.uk . In 50 years of walking, mostly place to place, this may be the best we have stayed at. Not on the website is that generous packed lunches for 2 are £7, and 'Supper' at £9.50 is a generous hearty main course which will not leave you much room for beer! They will take you to the local pubs free, and ferry for walks at reasonable cost. Tibbie Shiels is a nice pub when the landlord can be bothered to serve you and have beer available. The Gordon Arms has real ale and is good service.
Posted: Mon 15th Sep 2014, 21:12
Peter, thanks for that info.
However, we had already started and we like Moffat. But it is useful info for others, and might help me as I am pushing the relevant authorities to give an uplift to this LDP.

From the start to Sanquhar, we had the walk to ourselves, apart from one walker we met in the pub. But then it got busy, we met another walker the first day, 7 the next and 3 on the way from Daer to Moffat. It could get much more use, as this lovely route deserves to, without spoiling the peace.

At Daer, the new OS map is wrong, the route uses the Reservoir Dam as in Alan Castle's guidebook.

The forests around here have been clear felled and part replanted with deciduous trees, its mostly nice now.
There are still 2 stretches of fallen trees, I am trying to get these cleared.
It would be good if walkers reported fallen trees and other issues which might get the trail negative reports

Only Moffat to St Mary's Loch to do now, but I will have to go on another day, willingly, to get to a bus route.
Author: Peter J Smith
Posted: Wed 10th Sep 2014, 19:40
Local Group: London
Hello, I finished the SUW two weeks ago. It was a very enjoyable trail.
But may I offer one tip about accommodation in Moffat for your next trip - you don't need to stay there, stay in Beattock instead.
Contrary to widely held belief, Beattock does in fact have a number of good places SUW walkers can stay including a pub and several B&Bs. Critically, this keeps you on the SUW and so avoids the unnecessary 3-4 mile detour to Moffat.
Enjoy the rest of your journey
Peter
Posted: Tue 9th Sep 2014, 12:05
We have done a bit more of the SUW and have now reached Sanquhar. We are going again this w/e and will reach Moffat. Then only 2 days to do to complete as I've walked the section from S Mary's Loch to the E Coast. We are having to squeeze it in between other commitments.

But some more info
Not all B & Bs provide free transport and at St Johns and Leadhills one has to pay proper rates.. But its worth it. If 4 go its cheaper as the fares are shared.
Some B & Bs in the guide have closed, but you can still find rooms in St Johns, Sanquhar, Leadhills, 1m off route, and plenty in Moffat.
There is a 'Dumfries and Galloway Freedom' bus day ticket which will get you from Carlisle to Portpatrick, Bargrennan or St John's for £8

Lots of marker posts are knocked over by sheep which use them for scratching posts! Some of the route is shown wrong on the OS maps. But with good navigation and good observation the route is OK.

My efforts in writing to the rangers have paid dividends, there are now no fallen trees on the route now. But someone else will need to write to the rangers abt next winters windfall. I have written abt the marker posts and OS errors.

About 300 people walk the whole route each year, mostly Spring to early Autumn. On any given section you are most unlikely to meet anyone. Lots of solitude! There was one guy a day behind us but we met up him in the pub. Saw some forestry workers from Glentrool to St Johns and no-one from St Johns to Sanquhar
Author: Timothy Hodges
Posted: Mon 12th May 2014, 18:44
Local Group: Anytime Anywhere
I very much agree with with all that has been said here about the SUW.

It is quite walkable in more moderate segments, with a bit of logistical work and perhaps some local assistance from B&B owners and service providers (Southern Upland Way Holidays for example).

A viable alternative is backpacking -- using a mix of wild camping, bothies and B&B's (when more comfort becomes necessary). Back packing allows one to cut down on daily distances where it really matters along the SUW. Given open access in Scotland, it also means more freedom and more options. With new ultralight gear available, one need not suffer under heavy weight with aching knees.

While it was challenging, we thoroughly enjoyed our trans-SUW back pack packing last April despite foul weather for much of the western half of the walk. I continue to highly recommend it to others!
Posted: Fri 2nd May 2014, 8:53
Its great if you can walk the Southern Uplands Way in 20 to 30 mile stretches, as I once could. However, the most you have to walk now is 14m, because the accommodation providers will pick you up and drop you off as required.
More people using the way will help the longer walkers as more shops and pubs will survive on route
Author: John Phillips
Posted: Wed 30th Apr 2014, 21:26
Local Group: East Yorkshire
I agree with everything you say. Popularity of this route is low due to inability to break down into easily manageable days. No problem for LDWA members but some days demand over 20 miles in remote country, which makes it difficult for many walkers. Can't help feeling the moaners have been ill prepared for the challenge. Yes, there are a few paths through forest but there is some of the best open hill country in Britain on this route.
John
Posted: Mon 28th Apr 2014, 20:56
This LDP languishes in the popularity stakes
Some web blogs report a route blocked by fallen trees, long road sections, claustrophobic forests and knee deep bogs, 20 to 30 mile sections
Most of the route, and all east of Moffatt is superb walking. There is good scenery throughout
The B&Bs, pubs etc want your custom and will ferry you free so you can walk sensible distances to suit your taste.

You can avoid the bogs with good boots, gaiters and trecking poles, if you allow some time for bog trotting.
The forests are not very intrusive nowadays, due to re-routing and forest clearance. Some forest sections are actually nice
There is too much road on the first day out of Portpatrick, but there is almost no traffic and some verges can be walked.
One my recent trip from Portpatrick to Glentrool there were a lot of fallen trees, but they are being cleared.

No reason for not completing the LDP list!

The bus fare from Carlisle to Stranraer is £6.70 or so, a bargain! The route can be split into separate holidays, There are stations at Stranraer, Sanquar, Beatock. There are key bus services to Stranraer, Moffatt, Peebles, Selkirk, Melrose and Cockburnspath

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law