Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - 10 th WELLINGTON BOOT 12/13 APRIL 2014

Author: Louise Whittaker
Posted: Thu 17th Apr 2014, 23:06
Local Group: Staffordshire
Super scenery, lovely route and pretty tough. Bright nearly full moon during the night and fairly warm except when walking through the patchy mist. Lovely early morning sunshine on the Sunday. Some 'tight' checkpoint times (for me) but managed to get around with just 40 minutes to spare. Devon and Cornwall group were wonderful 'checkpointers' - this was the full waitress/waiter service - top class welcome - and good food - even for us 'plodders' coming in later - and then lovely English Breakfast at finish. Sweepers were great (yes, the sweepers caught us up) - but gave us the space to continue to navigate and keep plodding at our own rate. They also helped take my boots off at the end!! So - thank you to everyone who helped us get around and have a very enjoyable time in the process (did I say enjoyable - well I can say that now my feet are recovering!).
Author: Richard Plumley
Posted: Mon 14th Apr 2014, 19:34
Local Group: Bristol & West
This is part of the south west triple challenge a 100k [62.5 mile]ramble around Wellington Somerset and into Devon and back The organisation yet again by Cornwall and Devon Ldwa was superb especially as they have within the last 4 weeks put on 4 events ,2 marshalls and 2 challenge walks yet their enthusiasm is truely outstanding really cheerie welcolme at every cp even though we were back markersand feeling the strain some what! the weather was changable starting dry cloudy and warm enough then in the afternoon a cold wind blew up in the evening mist and light drizzle and still that wind during the night though it cleared to a cold night heavy dew and not far off freezing leading to a beautiful early morning sunshine ,there has to be a special mention in disgust for south west water who shut the permissive path around Clatworthy Reservoir off by locking the gates at 5pm so the whole route was diverted up 2 of the steepest valleys you could negotiate without crampons! horrid ! must mention all the helpers as there seemed as many of them as us walkers help was from Dorset and Bristol and West that I know of [thank christ we have at least 3 years to forget the pain before it is possibly run again[

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law