Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - Yorkshire Three Peak

Author: Iain Connell
Posted: Sun 24th Jan 2016, 15:32
Local Group: East Lancashire
You don't say how long ago it was that you did it, but in recent years the Yorkshire Three Peaks has become the first choice Northern England challenge walk for charity fundraisers, to the extent that it's now an industry. Every weekend between May and September there are upwards of 500 people on it, sometimes as many as 400 on either day. When I last did the whole route, a September Sunday in 2011, there were two major charities plus several smaller groups.

The result has been severe erosion, so much so that the Three Peaks Route footpaths are distinguished from others by their sheer obviousness (if it's not eroded or a very clear track, you're not on it). The recently created diversion (see entries below) avoids the worst stretch between Pen-y-Ghent and Whernside, but much of the rest is still damaged to the point where it might need a limit on numbers, or perhaps temporary closure (not all of the route is on rights of way) to stem it.

In short, I'd say don't do it, at least not on a Summer weekend. If you do, don't start at Horton, go to Ribblehead and do Whernside first then Ingleborough, leaving Pen-y-Ghent till last. Avoid the worst of the eroded route from Ingleborough to Horton by diverting off it (you'll be alone) just after the ruined Shooting Hut towards Crummack Dale and then Crummack. From there it's an excellent track to the two packhorse bridges and Wharfe, then join the minor road to Helwith Bridge. Then the BOAT track track up to the Pennine Way and Pen-y-Ghent. Finish not at Ribblehead but Horton.

That alternative isn't circular but it's still the Three Peaks, and it avoids the slop, the badly eroded limestone, the main road and the crowds. You can still get your certificate from the Horton cafe (but not on a Tuesday), and you'll probably enjoy it more. I might even join you !

Iain
Author: John Phillips
Posted: Sun 24th Jan 2016, 8:21
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Great route but best avoided on a summer weekend. Most charities see the 3 Peaks as a source of fund raising and parking can be a nightmare if you clash with one of these events. Loads of other great walking in the Dales
John
Author: Lizzie Medwell
Posted: Fri 22nd Jan 2016, 21:10
Local Group: Nidderdale
Has anyone recently walked this route? I did it a few years ago and am ready for another go, but would appreciate any comments/advice. (I'm a bit older, if not wiser, than last time!)
Author: Andy Packham
Posted: Tue 16th Sep 2014, 19:31
Local Group: Essex & Herts
Well took me a bit long to get up there. but finally did. Route is clear and much improved, although still one or two very muddy sections post the new path.

a very belated thanks!
Posted: Sun 9th Mar 2014, 21:56
Postscript: by coincidence, I was in the Horton in Ribblesdale walker's cafe today, and had a look through their map collection. The new route is shown accurately on the most recent of the 'Three Peaks: Footpaths and Bridleways' leaflets by Arthur Gemmell, publisher Bradwell. Harvey's Three Peaks map also shows an approximatation of it marked 'open April 2013'.

Error in my previous posting: the new route rejoins the Pennine Way to the north of where the Ribble way splits off from the Pennine Way. If you want to shorten the increased mileage you could drop down to the Ribble Way from just north of there.

Iain
Posted: Fri 7th Mar 2014, 15:47
The newly made (2012-2013) and soft-surfaced path runs between two 'arms' of the Pennine Way, from 823742 (250m from Hull Pot) to the Pennine Way (and Ribble Way) at 810749, from where it is 1km north to the original Pennine Way crossing point at 810761. It's between 1km and 1mile more than the original route, but omits Black Dubb Moss and the eroded stretches on either side.

The Three Peaks route down from Pen-y-ghent is now the Pennine Way (PW) rather than the original cut-off to Hull Pot Beck and beyond. At the PW turn-off for Horton in Ribblesdale you continue forwards on the new (and now signposted) path, which should be easy to follow in all but deep snow (none so far this year). It's properly drained and includes a footbridge over Sell Gill Beck.

I don't yet know of any published maps showing the new path. There is at least one website correctly showing its start and end points but not the exact route inbetween. The cafe in Horton should be able to show you on their maps, or mark it out for you. It's a great improvement on the original knee-deep slop, and so fast that the extra distance won't add much to your overall time.

Iain
Author: Andy Packham
Posted: Fri 7th Mar 2014, 11:59
Local Group: Essex & Herts
I understand there is a new Yorkshire Three Peaks path that avoids the 'bog', but can't seem to find any maps or route description - is there an updated map or is it so clear it can be followed even if the cloud is right down.

thanks.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law