Discussion Forum - The Bothy - The story so far

Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Wed 5th Mar 2014, 12:57
Local Group: Dorset
Roy - thanks for that contribution, that is a very encouraging point of view
Author: Roy Turner
Posted: Tue 4th Mar 2014, 20:36
Local Group: Vermuyden (South Yorks)
I'm sure, all who want, will do 100's as long as they want.
Age is just a number, it's Health & Fitness that counts, i did the Camel-Teign in 39 Hrs,was'nt different to the other 15 for me !!
Feel i would have done a 36Hrs but my walking partner de-hydrated and had serious problems which held us back, and we're both 73Yrs old' and i've had an hip replacement.
My 16th and his 20th finish.
So, Strength of mind, Health & Fitness, good luck everyone, roll on those 40 badges!!

But that's it for me! I'me closed down for 100's.
Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Tue 25th Feb 2014, 19:00
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
Ah sorry Mike- it's difficult to see jokes on here!
Posted: Mon 24th Feb 2014, 21:38
Eileen, that was intended as a joke.

The suggestion wasn't meant to be taken seriously - 48 hours is plenty.
Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Mon 24th Feb 2014, 20:05
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
A good suggestion but my opinion as one fast approaching 60 (and I suppose 70 will zoom up fast!) is that it's best to to leave the times as they are or where will it end? And the helpers will want to go home!

Not being able to do 100s anymore isn't the end of the world-instead why not help out and give reassurance and hugs to those sweaty,smelly and tired folks that need it!
Oooh just noticed on the preview - I'm not just Eileen anymore! I had better behave myself then ha! Damn!
Posted: Mon 24th Feb 2014, 13:40
OK. - after some "off forum" consultation and advice on this issue.

Assume that motivation and determination remains constant, throughout my LDWA Hundred career.

As I get older and more experienced, I am more likely to finish.

But I also will be slower and more creaky, which reduces my success rate, and I may eventually be timed out, or have to retire . That comes to everyone, eventually.

So if these are seen as two curves plotted against my age, at what point do they intersect?

I think I may find out in the next few years. It took me 47 hours last year.

As a suggestion, perhaps participants over the age of 70 should be allowed to claim an extra hour rest, at one of the later checkpoints ?
Posted: Thu 20th Feb 2014, 20:41
I realise that this is not the place for detailed discussion of statistics. (In any case, I am not very good at them)

But, I noted that the "average age" for Hundreds is actually for starters. What would be really interesting to know, is how this compares with the average age of those completing each Hundred. And do older entrants have a better success rate than younger ones ? What age group has the best success rate ?

Would this show up in the statistics?
Author: Armorel Young
Posted: Thu 20th Feb 2014, 17:39
Local Group: Sherwood
For me the upward trend of the average age has been a source of reassurance and delight :-) It has been wonderful to find a sport in which bus pass holders can do as well - or better than - younger folk, and where you're not classed as a "veteran" just becasuse you've reached the grand old age of 30. If the statistics also published the age of the oldest walker, I might be able to calculate how many more 100s I might have a chance of doing :-)
Author: Deirdre Flegg
Posted: Thu 20th Feb 2014, 15:22
Yes indeed-good reading for those who like stats. But whew...glad to see that the average age of 100 participants had stopped its relentless move upwards. Was beginning to think I would have to arrange for 250 bus passes by 2016.
Posted: Wed 19th Feb 2014, 18:05
Good to see this on the website.
However, if I may be pedantic, the 2006 Hundred was the Northumerland 100, not he Northumbria 100. It probably means nothing to anyone other than us living in England's best kept secret!

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law