Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Haworth Hobble - 15/03/2014

Author: Neil Bromley
Posted: Sun 23rd Mar 2014, 22:22
Local Group: Heart of England
You're right, Pauline and John. As a first timer, I thought it was a wonderful route. Obviously, it's a race geared for runners, so no indoor CPs or complicated route finding, but a really friendly atmosphere and fabulous countryside. Plenty of LDWA "purposeful" walkers would manage 32 miles in the 11 hour limit, although we have to be prepared for a fair amount of solitary walking, as the runners clear off pretty quickly. All this and a visit to the Bronte parsonage, a town full of real ale pubs and the original of Wuthering Heights - a great excuse for a March weekend away!
Author: John Phillips
Posted: Sun 23rd Mar 2014, 21:22
Local Group: East Yorkshire
An excellent route. Food a tad simplistic - either scones, do nuts, hot x buns or broken biscuits but plenty of them. Chance of a cuppa at several places. If something savoury needed a a bit lacking but cannot fault the supplies available, Nearly 100% runners. Came in almost last at over 3mph but I don't care. We walkers complain about runners taking over our events. This is one worth reversing the trend.
Author: Arthur Metcalfe
Posted: Fri 14th Feb 2014, 11:48
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Take plenty of your food for the walk, The Howorth Hobble is noted not very substanical food at check points, well it was not when I walked it some 10 years ago
Posted: Thu 9th Jan 2014, 19:44
Thanks Dave
Author: David Findel-Hawkins
Posted: Thu 9th Jan 2014, 10:22
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
Good question.

There are quite a few. The full list can be found on the Event Notification Form in http://www.ldwa.org.uk/library/library.php

The main ones are a maximum 500 limit, a route of at least 20 miles and mainly cross-country.
There is also one about it not being advertised as a race but I'm a bit flexible on that. If walkers are encourage to enter then I'll usually list it.

Hope that helps
Posted: Thu 9th Jan 2014, 7:08
Is it possible to let members know what the criteria is/are for inclusion of an event in Strider? I suspect an entry limit of 500, but don't know other criteria.

Thanks
Author: David Findel-Hawkins
Posted: Mon 6th Jan 2014, 13:16
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
As I said in my first column, in the August edition of Strider, if you know of an event that meets the criteria for a listing then please let me know at Events@LDWA.org.uk or get the organiser to contact me.

Dave Findel-Hawkins
Challenge Event Sec
Posted: Sun 5th Jan 2014, 20:58
For info - event not listed in Strider. 32 miles in max 11 hours from Haworth, West Yorks. Entries opened today. Website www.kcac.co.uk.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law