Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - Glyndwr's Way

Author: Rob Hutton
Posted: Sun 6th Dec 2015, 20:30
Local Group: South Wales
I myself have wanted to hike the Glyndwr's Way for a few years now.

As it is so under walked i will be asking The Mid Wales LDWA group to add it to their list of group walks at their AGM on Sat 12 Dec 2015.

And propose for the LDWA to make it a double hike challenge.

So for example.
Challenge hike 1. From Knighton to Machynlleth or the other way around.
Would be held in 2016 then bi-yearly.

Challenge hike 2. From Machynlleth to Welshpool or the other way around.
Would be held in 2017 then bi-yearly.

And hikers must finish both of the hikes in consecutive years to complete the challenge.

Is this a good or bad idea?
Author: Mark Garratt
Posted: Wed 2nd Sep 2015, 21:03
Local Group: Heart of England
My stomping ground close to my holiday home in caersws the Severn way is overgrown in places to llandidloes and very under walked . In twelve months I've been running around the area every Sunday for 3 hours I can count on one hand the amount of walkers and runners I've come across shame as its a lovely area
Author: Raymond Wilkes
Posted: Wed 19th Aug 2015, 16:23
Local Group: West Yorkshire
We have now completed this route. The Llanidloes to Machynlleth is probably the best section with good and dramatic views, Most of the paths were in good order

There is a very nice B&B at Dylife half way. Good food and luggage transfer. There were a few more walkers including 2 priests doing the way in one go.
Posted: Mon 27th Jul 2015, 11:32
We have just done the section of GW from Knighton to Llanidloes over 5 days seeing no other walkers! This section was even better than the last but with low usage the paths are over grown in places. Bashed a lot of blackberry, nettle and bracken with my trekking poles.
Many B&Bs do luggage transfer so we had an easy walk.
We walked the Severn Way from Llanidloes to Caersws to get the train. This was also very scenic but there was even more vegetation overgrowth.
Its a shame so few people walk these paths
Posted: Wed 17th Jun 2015, 19:38
Just got back from walking Machynlleth to Welshpool on Glyndwr's way.
It is very scenic and most of the paths are nice.
The Old School House near Llanbrynmair is a good B & B, is off route but does lifts
Gorffwysfa B&B, Lake Vyrnwy, Llanwddyn is good and you can do abt 3 days from there with lifts

Some roads/forest path stretches but mostly lovely woods and fields
Lots of short climbs maybe 3000ft per day!
Last day marred by a bull and ploughed out path I have reported this to Powys Council
I am looking forward tot he other half!
Author: Tony Deall
Posted: Thu 9th Jan 2014, 21:26
Local Group: Cumbria
Duly received with many thanks.
I owe you a drink!
Posted: Sun 5th Jan 2014, 18:02
Thanks John!

Tony
Author: John Phillips
Posted: Sun 5th Jan 2014, 6:53
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Hi Tony,
Will post my copy to you in the next couple of days. No plans to use in the near future. Just let me have it back when you have finished with it. It's a very good walk which I am sure you will enjoy.
John
Posted: Sat 4th Jan 2014, 22:28
I am looking for a copy of a guidebook for the Glyndwr's Way which doesn't seem to be available through normal channels.
If anyone has one to lend or sell I would be most grateful.

tonydeall@btinternet.com

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law