Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - WOW 50

Author: Janet Pitt-Lewis
Posted: Wed 24th Jul 2013, 20:32
Local Group: Marches
A memorable weekend of British sport – the Tour de France, the Ashes and the WOW – this year with entrants from 3 continents. Thanks for the feedback – and special congratulations to Terry Davies and friends who completed an extra loop over the Titterstone Clee to make the route up to 60 miles to celebrate Terry’s 60th birthday.
Now – the focus group. Which way round do you prefer the route and why?
Author: Mark Edwards
Posted: Tue 23rd Jul 2013, 21:48
Local Group: Merseystride
I'd like to add my thanks to the organisers. It's an excellent route and I like the minimal route description (easy to follow when combined with a GPS). And the food was great - some excellent cakes, perfect selection of savoury dishes (jacket potatoes, pasta and tartiflette all very good), supplemented by salad and fruit.
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Mon 22nd Jul 2013, 21:52
Local Group: Marches
Wow is the appropriate word.A classic,dynamic and memorable route with many navigational challenges but it immersed you in the delightful Shropshire countryside which is spectacular.thanks x
Author: Carole Elizabeth Engel
Posted: Mon 22nd Jul 2013, 15:23
Local Group: Calderdale
Fully agree with Matt and Jane. Excellent event put on by Marches group.

Widely spaced Check Points were welcome and were indeed well stocked as claimed in Strider. Snacks and drinks included delicious homemade cakes from the "ladies of the village" - thanks ladies and a table groaning under the weight of PREPARED fresh fruit - wonderful on such a hot day. We were also spoiled with TWO, different, two-course hot meals on route. Catering at the end was also carefully chosen - Tartiflette and salad - and appropriate to the time of year. Great imagination and much appreciated.

The route was a trifle frustrating in parts thanks to the abundance of summer growth this year (but we cannot blame Marches group for that) making night navigation difficult, despite having a GPS loaded with route and mapping. I am sure it would have helped if I had used the minimalist route description but I had chosen large scale paper maps and GPS, wrongly believing the map had all the information I needed (no bridge on the map but on the ground caused endless trouble). The hills were my highlight offering good views, cooling breezes, clear, often grassy paths and a lack of high difficult stiles. I enjoyed a little detour over Hope Bowdler Hill (ooops - sorry! - the path was just too inviting) and relished the Clee Hills section.

Thanks Marches group. We were very well looked after in true LDWA style.
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Sun 21st Jul 2013, 9:24
Local Group: Mid Wales
A most pleasant day out arranged and hosted by the Marches group. A suitably challenging course with enough navigation to keep one on ones toes and plenty of 'bushwhacking' on some of the tracks - what a great year it is for bramble and nettle growth!

Cloud cover made it bearable after the week of intense heat though still warm and humid, I had a massive fluid consumption through the day to keep going at any pace.

Thank you again for the hospitality. Matt.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law