Discussion Forum - Gear ! - Sizing!

Author: Neil Counsell
Posted: Sun 30th Jun 2013, 15:36
Local Group: South Wales
Many thanks :) that is really helpful
Author: Peter Steckles
Posted: Thu 27th Jun 2013, 22:34
Local Group: East Lancashire
My thoughts are that a shoe should be big enough but not too big.

Room at the toe end (toe box) is part of the fit. I prefer too much rather than too little.

Its hard to measure just where the foot is inside a shoe, and the inner sock is only part of the story. One inch may be OK for some shoes and for some people.

Your foot may well swell as your foot gets warmer, as you suggest and it needs somewhere to go.

Equally important is the fit around the 'waist' of the foot. When the laces are tightened fully, do the 'quarters' meet along the centre of the instep? Ideally I think there should be slight gap. If the quarters do meet, and the foot has too much room to move then perhaps the fit is too large? If you wish to do something about this, you could pad under the tongue with some chiropodists felt, or some sponge rubber held in place with double sided tape.

The laces should hold the foot back in the shoe like a seat belt. As long as the shoe is held on firmly, it shouldn't (in theory) matter how big the toe box is - apart from the possibility of tripping over a shoe that is too long... ;)

When a shoe gets wet on the other hand, then sometimes they go as big as a large boat and you are moving about all over the place.

I think its always iffy to buy shoes mail order, but if you were sneaky (and I imagine you are not...) you could perhaps pop into a local sports shop and try the slightly smaller size... if they fit better, then you will be in a better position to make a judgement...

There is something to be said for the small local stockist, and if only they could match some of the internet prices, then we wouldn't be put on the spot.
Author: Neil Counsell
Posted: Thu 27th Jun 2013, 19:43
Local Group: South Wales
Hi all, I have a question about sizing....footwear.....space at end....

I have bought a new pair of roclite 275's, there is a full inch at the end of the shoe whilst wearing my normal walking socks- measured my foot on the foot bed. I am in a dilemma as to if this is too much as alot of what Ive read says it should be 1/2 inch. My thinking is the when the mileage gets 20+ my feet are going to swell, but im not sure! Too big, just right :/

Have you guys got similar spaces at the end of your boots/ shoes? Or should I send back and get smaller?

It may seem like a trivial question, but it feels very important to get the right fit! PS not as though as I can walk in them and found out as wont be able to send back if wrong......

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law