Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - Poncho

Author: Nic Arb
Posted: Thu 6th Jun 2013, 13:12
Local Group: Kent
Rather than a poncho, I wear this rain cape Cape de pluie MINIPOIDS 2 WR ( CO.TE.NOR. fabriqué en France ) . A rain cape is a poncho with sleeves, which, in addition to protecting your body against the rain, protects also your arms. And this is not their only advantage: they are much less prone to fly in the wind. Also, if you stop to have lunch, you just lower your head inside, remove your arms from the sleeves and they make a tent under which you can have your lunch and stay dry.
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Tue 4th Jun 2013, 22:54
Local Group: Surrey
I tried one with a 60l pack on the Pennine Way some years ago. A real pain to put on if you are alone (ie getting it over the pack), and I found that in windy conditions it kept blowing off the pack (and sometimes over my head.) I stopped using it after the first day.
Posted: Tue 4th Jun 2013, 20:58
WOW! never thought of them, they do indeed have some, thanks for post.
Author: Jim Tinnion
Posted: Tue 4th Jun 2013, 17:31
Local Group: Marches
Saw plenty of French and Italian runners wearing ponchos on the various UTMB races last year, and using poles. In fact the attrition rate due to wet and cold did seem to be lower amongst the poncho wearers than the cagoulistas, maybe due to the ability of a poncho to breath through the big hole at the bottom.

Can't say I've tried one but it doesn't look that bad an idea, particularly if it's very wet, but not windy.

Do Quencha do one? Available through Decathlon stores...
Posted: Tue 4th Jun 2013, 8:28
Does anyone use a poncho? I am looking for one which can cover body and a 50L pack as well and is light. The Golite one does not seem to be available in UK anymore and other options mean ordering from US. I am also looking at making one as the pattern is not difficult.

The idea is a poncho can be thrown on when it rains meaning less stopping, however I have heard that it can get a bit messy when using walking poles

Any advice welcome.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law