Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - Salomon - Synapse or Wings ?

Posted: Sun 2nd Jun 2013, 12:35
I’m looking at purchasing some new boots/shoes for long distance walking, my preference is Salomon. I’m looking at the Synapse Mid CS WP or the Wings Sky GTX 2 and would also consider the Speedcross 3 CS. Does anybody have any advice about these shoes ?

Around the 35 mile mark my knees start to ache and things go from a walk to a stubborn hobble. I have a history or knee, shin and ankle injuries and have tried all manner of supports. The best thing I have found for this is stretching and simple strengthening exercises. However this doesn’t negate the fact that I’m a clompy oaf.

I currently have Meindl dovre extreme gtx (superfeet green insoles) which I predominantly use for shooting and dog training instead of wellies, although they provide excellent comfort and support all day. They get a little heavy after 30+ miles. Salomon Quest 4D GTX (superfeet green insoles) which I originally got to wear as my day to day boot for pottering about in, I wear these for work now. At most I’ve only done about 10 miles in these and wouldn’t consider using them for any great distance as they seem to be for more of an ambling pace. Haglofs Vertigo 2 approach shoes with sorbothane insoles, these are great on wet rock and provide excellent grip and support. On the flat though covering distance they don’t provide enough cushioning and my knees start to ache.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law