Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Valleys 100 - 2014

Author: Paul Keech
Posted: Mon 27th Oct 2014, 21:11
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
David - thanks for sorting that out, I have received a very nice certificate to remind me of a memorable event. Thanks once again.
Author: David Morgan
Posted: Wed 8th Oct 2014, 17:44
Local Group: South Wales
Hi Paul
Leave that with me. I'll get one sent out to you. Not quite sure what happened with your certificate, as all unclaimed certificates were sent out with the results booklets.
Regards,
David Morgan
Author: Paul Keech
Posted: Tue 7th Oct 2014, 19:26
I have received the results booklet but have not yet received a certificate for my attempt - who do I need to contact to request a certificate?
Author: Michael Headley
Posted: Wed 16th Jul 2014, 22:49
Local Group: Kent
Posted: Mon 7th Jul 2014, 9:22
Iain
You'll receove them as a booklet within the next couple of months.

David
Author: Iain Connell
Posted: Fri 4th Jul 2014, 15:30
Local Group: East Lancashire
Could you or David please send the results files as a attachments to an email, or make them available via SiEntries ? I'm unable to view them from these links.

Iain
Author: Andrew Clabon
Posted: Fri 4th Jul 2014, 13:03
RESULTS UPDATE

The following link will show the Main Event Results using Excel with a smaller file size which will therefore quicker.
http://1drv.ms/1oh8YD6

This link will show the Marshals Event Results also in Excel.
http://1drv.ms/1zcldID
Posted: Fri 4th Jul 2014, 8:23
RESULTS

oops, wrong link.

Please use this http://1drv.ms/1ogjzOF
Posted: Fri 4th Jul 2014, 8:10
RESULTS

The event results can now be found at http://1drv.ms/1zcekXT

My apologies for the wait.
Author: David Wainwright
Posted: Thu 3rd Jul 2014, 20:29
Local Group: Cornwall & Devon
Hi, I wondered if anyone knew if "Steve" the photographer has posted or uploaded any of the photo's taken on the Valleys 100 this year? Just interested to see if I looked like I felt.....

Cheers!

Dave
Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Tue 1st Jul 2014, 20:18
Local Group: West Yorkshire
David thanks. It was from the marshals event and I thought you had already looked at the 2 which were left niether of which were mine. Great if it is there!
Posted: Tue 1st Jul 2014, 19:19
Hi Madeleine - The many, many certificates that were left behind will be posted with the results booklets. The tally cards will also be included when this takes place.

John - Thanks for your kind words.
Author: John Dally
Posted: Tue 1st Jul 2014, 17:13
Local Group: East Yorkshire
First of all I would like to belatedly thank all involved both for the creation of The Valleys 100 and the wonderful support given to all in what became at times quite desperate conditions.
I note that reference is being made to waterproofs - effective or not - and I hereby offer my twopennyworth. I use a Berghaus Exstrem Paclite which I obtained a few years back and which has proved to be bombproof. It only comes out on majors and backpacking expeditions where floods are promised as I am wary of ever wearing it out.
I never wear overtrousers - other than in extreme cold - and, if not in shorts, wear Ron Hill leggings as they compress water out away from the skin and also have a thermal quality. I can genuinely say that since using them, I have never felt the discomfort of wet legs, no matter how hard it rains. I appreciate that if one has rather thin legs they may flap a little and consequently may not be as effective.
I gave up on boots many years ago and use non-waterproof off-road trainers with a good tread. Once wet they cannot get any wetter and one can just wade through any amount of water and, after said water has been squeezed out after a few yards, it's amazing how quickly the feet warm up. Again, I am lucky in that, as with this 100, I can walk hour after hour with wet feet and have no problem with trench foot. A friend of mine only has to have wet feet a few hours and he has awful problems.
What suits me is not going to suit all, but I hope that it may give others the inclination to try what may be an alternative to allover waterproofs.
Finally, can anyone tell me where those sneaky Welsh midges were lurking. I have backpacked Scotland on many occasions and subsequently been midged, but at least they have the decency to let you know they are about. I walked the early sections of the event in shorts and it was a day or two after the event that I had realised I had been got as badly as I ever have in Scotland. Were we warned, I don't think so.
Once again, thanks to everyone, organisers, supporters and all those I met en-route.
Posted: Mon 30th Jun 2014, 22:23
Did anyone pick up my certificate etc after the marshal's event? I realised I'd left it and went back the next morning but the hut was all packed up. The team can of course print another certificate and there are spare badges, but not my tally card. Thanks
Author: Michael Jones
Posted: Fri 13th Jun 2014, 23:22
Local Group: Heart of England
Fair enough summary. I'll admit that on my only Hundred to date I showed a distinct lack of common sense in continuing beyond the breakfast stop when I was already feeling dizzy from the lack of sleep - I had to sit down to recover several times over the following stage, and the 4.5 miles between checkpoints took me three and a half hours. Fortunately I did decide to call it quits at the next CP, otherwise the sweepers would probably have found me collapsed in the middle of nowhere.
Posted: Mon 9th Jun 2014, 21:50
My minimum-level 'common sense' kit for the Valleys was essentially what I take on a day walk, plus two things for overnight - head torch (+spare batteries) and wooly hat. I made the right choice of footwear, between lightweight but not very waterproof and heavy and very waterproof - the latter, and apart from said boots landing me in a stream (they're not very proof against 45% mud-slides), would have got rather further than I did.

Usually I choose mid-layer on the day, but on this occasion took both options - old sweatshirt and fleece, probably would have needed both for Coity mountain. All in bag liner (old plastic bag), smaller items in plastic bags. Also had sun hat, but didn't make the Monday dawn !

That's a bit more than the kit list, but it seemed sensible to me, and most of it turned out to be the right choices. I take my hat off to the people got by in those conditions with less, whether running or part-running. Actually I never wore either hat - rain-drummed hoody and slop-filled tracks is my abiding memory.
Author: Peter Richards
Posted: Mon 9th Jun 2014, 13:42
I read all of the posts on the subject of kit lists with interest and it seems the one item that would solve all of these issues is:

1. Common Sense

It seems very strange to me that given the diverse areas and extreme distances we all undertake on these events that if the 'local' or 'more experienced' organisers, detail a condition of entry as being ABC then 'common sense' must apply = there is a damn good reason.

Taking this a little further, given the make up of us LD walkers (determined people), the challenge on occasions may tempt us to override our common sense. We have all, no doubt, on the odd occasion, had to take our forefinger and point it at our nose and have a damn good word with ourselves, when despite a twisted limb, a bout of flu, extreme weather, we have considered even attempting or continuing a challenge or a walk.

As a relatively new LD walker of only a 2 years I entered 4 50's last year and completed 3 - the one I did not was down to sickness and in experience (dehydrated, didn't eat enough etc) at 32 miles this resulted in me having a word with myself - "this is fun and if you feel this bad then that is not good, worse someone may have to put themselves and others at risk to help you if you collapse on that ledge etc". I turned looked at the view said hey did 32 miles was tough but today is done. Went back to the CP and walked another day. If anything that made me more determined to be better next time, fitter, and so on.

Now with regards to the Valleys 100 I have to say as my first 100 - I made a lot of mistakes, I made mistakes I still cannot believe I made (like leaving some of my gear out of the plastic bags inside the rucksack), I did not check the weather in the morning (well other than look out of the hotel window), I did not see the weather warning until the next day. Too busy thinking boots or trainers...trainers, no boots!

I realised at around 5 miles that my weather proof gear was not all the marketing people had promised, adequate previously, but not Wales Proof - pore tex and that breathable fabric drowned. Those fabulous and reliable GTX boots were great but they had a massive hole - at the top, that let water in whilst swimming in the bogs!.. then wouldn't let the damn stuff out! Around the first trig point my mind drifted to my car where lay several alternate jackets and waterproofs (better but not as light), or at home where other items (rucksack cover) resided in a cupboard - useless on the hill there. The sealskin socks I had not liked and on goes a list....

The training was large, however at CP3 after nearly sliding all over the place on the descent (despite those good boots), my walking buddy and I looked at our sodden gear a blown up battery and discussed whether we fancied a night on the moor in our damp clothes and were we having fun, enough was enough we both knew we had screwed up. We had all the required gear on the kit list but we had not used our common sense, if we had, we would have brought the other gear, cared less about the weight and then maybe had a better chance at finishing. In stopping we probably used our Common Sense for the first time that weekend.

Next time - the gear will get a better test and whole lot will be in the back of the car with a final decision being made 1 hour before the start...all of it will have been worn in the garden with my young son given the hose and told to soak me for an extended time to see if it really works...

Having recovered rapidly the next day and before the first of Saturdays starters had finished my mind moved to setting out a plan to conquer my first 100 next year.

Determined lot us walkers!
Posted: Mon 9th Jun 2014, 12:39
This is a repeat post as I've not had a reply from anyone.

PACKING CRATES

Dorset LDWA group were kind enough to lend us some heavy duty collapsible packing crates for use on the 100. They were great for transporting heavy food items to the checkpoints. Most were black in colour but some were yellow.

Not all were returned to the finish.

I would be grateful if those of you who have any of the missing crates could return them to me or Dorset LDWA. You can contact me via the ‘private message’ system on the event forum at:
http://valleys100.southwalesldwa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=705
Author: Nic Arb
Posted: Tue 3rd Jun 2014, 21:42
Author: Ian Sykes
Posted: Tue 3rd Jun 2014, 20:54
Link not working. Simon, HELP.
Author: Ian Sykes
Posted: Tue 3rd Jun 2014, 20:53
Here is a link to some photos form the last 4 Hundreds, Not many well known LDWA members in my photos. ;-) Click on any photo that you what to see in detail.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=49169780&page=1
Author: John Pennifold
Posted: Sat 31st May 2014, 23:57
Local Group: London
My Youtube video of the Main Event, LDWA 100 miles, 2014: http://youtu.be/g9_o93z8WLQ
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Sat 31st May 2014, 12:24
Local Group: Lakeland
I was too far back to hear much of the speeches at the start, so it was good to be able to listen to them on the Utube video in the warm and dry. I think that John Harris's comments (from about the 21 minute point) are some of the finest and truest I have heard. Do take a look.
Posted: Thu 29th May 2014, 22:00
I have compiled the first of my videos of the event.
Entitled "LDWA 100 Miles, 2014, Preliminaries" it can be found on Youtube at http://youtu.be/s1NTXT0XruU
There will be more in the next few days

As already posted, my Flickr photos can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/john_pp/sets/72157644448245890/

John Pennifold
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Thu 29th May 2014, 17:45
Local Group: Lakeland
My congratulations and thanks to David Morgan and his team for their hurculean efforts in organising the Valleys Hundred, and to all those checkpointers who kept us going through what was by far my toughest Hundred. After all the attention to detail it must be so frustrating for the organisers to be let down by the one thing they could not control - the weather. Christine and I were sitting drinking coffee in lovely warm sunshine on Cardiff Bay on Wednesday. On Thursday morning the rain started and barely stopped for the next four days.
I can't honestly say that I enjoyed the walk. All those lovely views I was looking forward to were hidden in the murk. There was a brief hour on Sunday afternoon on Coity Mountain when the clouds opened up, the sun appeared and it was possible to stride along on a good surface. Then a dark cloud appeared from the SW and it was back into the waterproofs.
I seem to have got the footwear technique sorted - trainers a size bigger than normal and regular sock changes mean no blackened toenails and virtually no blisters - but my previous Hundreds have been in relatively dry conditions. I think a whole tub of sudocreme would have been needed to avoid the chafing which plagued me for the second fifty. I would certainly have been one of the multitude of retirements but for the lure of that Ten Hundreds badge!
I am now a retired Hundred walker. Memories of the pain are short so I have repeated the Steve Redgrave quote to Christine, she is authorised to shoot me if I threaten to walk another one. I wouldn't want to miss the wonderful weekend, though so you will see me and a bunch of other Lakeland members at Slipper Low Car Park (CP1) next May.
Author: Sheena Findlay
Posted: Thu 29th May 2014, 8:34
Local Group: Wiltshire
This was to be my first attempt at a hundred. Many people said to me are you mad to try the South Wales 100 for your 1st, had I any idea of what I was letting myself in for? Well yes, I had done a fair amount of preparation for the event.
Sadly I had to retire at Cwmavon. I left there with the intention of completing the challenge but returned shortly after starting out on that section, defeated. I gave it my best shot in the circumstances.
I just wanted to take this opportunity to say a massive thanks to South Wales for putting on the event. I was blown away by the incredible organisation that goes in to putting something like this on and then to have the adverse weather conditions thrown in. All the extra support needed to retrieve people like me from checkpoints when it all got too much. A fantastic team, all of you.
The wonderful people from all over the UK at their various checkpoints offering all the support needed to carry on into the unrelenting rain and mud.
A huge thank you to everyone who tried to help this obstinate mule when she nose planted for the second time onto the main road. The black eye is looking spectacular now!
Most of all, thank you to Bea who has the patience of a saint and walked alongside me all the way. We were joined by a lovely chap Mark, whose girlfriend had retired earlier. Both Mark and I achieved our own personal bests.
So here's to next year :-)
Author: Simon Pipe
Posted: Wed 28th May 2014, 21:13
Having walked the last 25 miles or so with Robert Barclay I can testify to the effectiveness of his waterproof paper RD. Worth the expense, I'd say. Robert, you were great company and I've worked out that the reason we descended that rocky path down from Keeper's Pond at the speed of a couple of reckless teenagers was that we were talking about running (at parkrun) at the time. Very silly, but what a buzz. I sympathise with the walker who had a leaking coat: so did I. Mine cost £200 (lurid green, so they'll be sure to see me coming next time as well) and it was re-waterproofed two days before the event, but it still started to take in rain on day two. I'm grateful to Robert and others for sharing their tips on good kit; and for Robert's patience when I kept fussing with my feet at checkpoints.

Does anyone have tips for dealing with swollen big toes?
Author: Robert Barclay
Posted: Wed 28th May 2014, 18:05
What a great weekend that was ! A true definition of a challenge walk. Looking back (after a good sleep and a hot bath) I thoroughly enjoyed it, even managed to spend Monday afternoon mowing the lawn, and no it wasn't with a ride on mower. All in all I'm physically in good shape. This is due largely to the care, attention and cheerfulness of the checkpointers, catering to every need from a warm hug to a warm drink.
In answer to other people's queries about gear, I wore a Lowe Alpine Triplepoint XC lightweight jacket and Ronhill tracksters. I detest waterproof trousers so they stayed put in my rucksack (an Osprey with a very effective waterproof cover). For the feet, a pair of Inov8 Roclite 315's with Sealskin socks. Dry feet and no blisters. Finally I printed my route description (18 point bold type, so I could read it without glasses) on Memory Map Toughprint waterproof paper. £15.97 from Amazon for 25 sheets. Much easier to handle and lighter than laminating ordinary paper and it didn't disintegrate, smudge or run.
Many thanks to all involved with the organising of a superb event.

Robert Barclay
Author: Robert Attwood
Posted: Wed 28th May 2014, 17:12
Local Group: Bristol & West
As been said by so many already, GREAT WALK , but shame about the weather, but even this was made up for by the endless encouragement at every checkpoint which certainly made retiring a no no.Congrats to my two walking partners (Richard andCharlote) who finished the walk with me. and to Victoria who retired at the breakfast stop.....and to everyone else, finishers or not, who make the L.D.W.A "100" what it is.
Posted: Wed 28th May 2014, 13:55
I've put a few pics of the event from the view of a Marshal.
They can be found at http://1drv.ms/1k0aRGe
Author: Peter Ibison
Posted: Wed 28th May 2014, 8:53
Local Group: Staffordshire
I would like to add my thanks to the organisers of the Valleys 100 and to the check pointers for their hard work and hospitality in making the event.The persistent rain added to the challenge. Thank you all.
Posted: Wed 28th May 2014, 8:45
PACKING CRATES

Dorset LDWA group were kind enough to lend us some heavy duty collapsible packing crates for use on the 100. They were great for transporting heavy food items to the checkpoints. Most were black in colour but some were yellow.

Not all were returned to the finish.

I would be grateful if those of you who have any of the missing crates could return them to me or Dorset LDWA. You can contact me via the ‘private message’ system on the event forum at:
http://valleys100.southwalesldwa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=705
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Tue 27th May 2014, 23:22
Local Group: Marches
Well done Michelle. I agree, not everyone can afford top class kit and even if you could there is no guarantee it does what it says on the tin. I was proud of my waterproofs lasting 10 hours...in normal circumstances this would have been plenty but this weekend was not typical weather...rain for 30 hours was a big ask of any kit x
Author: Michael Jones
Posted: Tue 27th May 2014, 22:45
Massive congratulations to everyone who even attempted the event, never mind finished it. I couldn't make it this year, which I had thought was unfortunate - after hearing everyone's accounts I think I might have got off lightly!
Author: Michelle Armour
Posted: Tue 27th May 2014, 21:24
Local Group: Norfolk & Suffolk
Thanks to all involved in the event, it was tough and I was extremely glad to finish .......... Congrats to all that did complete and well done to all that started and put up with the rain for however long their bloody mindedness lasted.......
I was soaked to the skin for most of it - unfortunately my wages and other commitments mean I buy what I can afford, not what I'd like to be able to afford- similar to most people on the event I presume.... Hours of relentless rain will get through most stuff in the end I would of thought........I completed the Scottish hundred in a pair of £3 charity shop trainers so maybe I'm just lucky! My £28 waterproof socks lasted about an hour before the water went over the top!
Anyhow just I believe at least 2 other people saw the baby dinosaurs along the tow path but I've not heard of any other sightings of the giant teddy bear football mascot although Elvis was in the bushes apparently.......... any other interesting visions ?
Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Tue 27th May 2014, 19:41
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
Thank you to the South Wales group and supporters! There was a wonderful SUNNY atmosphere to the whole event because of the LDWA - if not the weather. I wimped out very early..sob! Role on next year at Lancashire- up North we don't get such atrocious weather of course ha ha...

Special thanks to Julia Greenwood for giving me another route description after mine got sodden after just a few miles in my rucksack. And to the very nice young runner I sat next to in the Body Van. He kept me warm with his chatter and pleasant manner and body heat!

So glad I reccy'd the route at Easter because I saw all the wonderful views in sunshine and met a lot of very friendly talkative Welsh strangers who were very kind to us. See you soon Wales!
Posted: Tue 27th May 2014, 18:53
BREAKFAST BAGS LEFT AT FINISH

See the post on the event forum at http://valleys100.southwalesldwa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=705
Author: Al Rodger
Posted: Tue 27th May 2014, 17:26
Local Group: Dorset
A handful of annotated photos from around CP16 can be found here. It's mainly views of static objects. You know, I must have had the exposure set too long coz even the mud had moved and disappeared before the camera had finished doing its thing.
Author: Trevor Brown
Posted: Tue 27th May 2014, 12:47
Many thanks to David Morgan and his committed team for organising a faultless (from my viewpoint anyway) and truly memorable Valley's 100. Nothing seemed too much trouble and they were always cheerful and encouraging--that is how I shall remember the South Wales group at this event.

As we all know, conditions and going underfoot were appalling but the visits to the Check Points made up for it. There was always an encouraging welcome whatever time of night or morning, and again, nothing was too much trouble. The checkpoint food was so good and kept me going! A big Thank You-- to all those groups and helpers who manned them.
Author: Richard Plumley
Posted: Tue 27th May 2014, 10:43
Thankyou South Wales Group for a well executed 100 ,as one valley local lady said on route ,it is a shame about the weather it does not rain here all the time,but this time it did turning the valleys into reservoirs for us to paddle in,loads of things happened on route some of them are,David Morgan at the start,where is Richard Plumley I thought what have I done now, was I to get my coller felt by the strong arm of the law? that slippery plank at black vein road that started the valleys forum off back last year nicely done by Heather and Hugh in chicken wire ,well good job it was it sure would have caught many out everybody was avoiding the mud and using said plank bridge,I then lost my voice and could only squeek,my mucker Bob said good job at least we will have some peace! we teamed up with Victoria and Charlotte from Devon they did Ivors dream last year [and since joined the LDWA ] not going to do another ever again!,but here they were attempting number 2 Charlotte stayed with us to the end although she had the dredded hallucinations coming into Cwmavon on the railway track she must have seen 8 bridges in the distance only to turn back to trees as we got closer,she also saved another fellow who we had picked up on Coity mountain from falling in the canal ,without her he was going in ,she grabbed his arm as we were going under a bridge he with all his kit on would surely have drowned ,and spoilt our walk! I squeeked to him what is your name ,Lloyd was his answer so I listened to his name and number at LLanellen cp 471 and Roy Ramsey I thought was said but it turns out he is hard of hearing ,I could not speak what a mess[ like somthing out of Laurel and Hardy] anyway he was the last man in ,I since found out he is Roy Varo,it is amazing what happens on a Ldwa 100 walk I could go on a lot more telling you about our advertutes as I can punch the keyboard still not able to speak very well,flagging was excellent Galligaer common was a doddle after I made such a fuss about it before the event but between Cwmavon and Keepers Pond it was Horrible ,gratefull thanks to all the check point helpers brilliant to say the least and every body assisting us on our mission including our own Florecce Nightingale Bobs wife Tina what a star kept on patching us up and sending us off again.Thankyou again South Wales Group luckily enough we frequent your lovely valleys often enough to know what views you were missing may be another 100 in the distant future with better weather!
Posted: Tue 27th May 2014, 10:23
A very well organised event, universally cheerful and helpful CPers and marshals, and, in spite of the awful weather, impressive (but sadly not respected by many of its residents) landscape whose industrial scars will fade.

My minor scars will also fade (but not blisters), since my wonderful 30-year old Scarpas, bought from an Oxfam shop in their original box, left me without a single blister or whitefoot patch. But, alas, they are heavy and not very good on saturated soil, which, in combination with an old inner-ear problem and weak knee, found me on my back in a stream. Thanks to the woman who helped me to get out of the water without further damage, but it was my third fall and I was out of the event. Try again next year with *laminated* maps and RD.

Many thanks to David Morgan and the South Wales team for their years of preparation and attention to detail on the days and nights (the first of which may prove to be one of the wettest ever - other than a full-on storm, perhaps the worst conditions imaginable for the time of year).

Iain.
Posted: Tue 27th May 2014, 8:56
Many thanks to the organisers, helpers and everyone else involved in this years 100. Unfortunately I wasn't successful this year, but I was in awe of how well this was organised under the difficult circumstances.
Carole- I presume I am RL of Marches group?? For your information I do spend a lot of my hard earned brass on decent kit, advertised as gortex waterproofs...and they were indeed waterproof for 10 hours, but short of standing under a garden hose for 30 hours to test them fully, you cannot ever be totally sure until they are put to the test in prolonged rain. If I'd had a support crew with a dry change of clothes I'd been able to carry on. I was certainly not on my own looking at the number of retirees from this event. Yes I am disappointed, but having lost my father only 2 months before I think I gave it a good shot. This would have been my tenth 100 so I didn't pack it in lightly. Well done those who made it, commiserations to those who didn't and thanks again to south wales group for a wonderful event.
Author: Janet Pitt-Lewis
Posted: Tue 27th May 2014, 8:08
And if you totally wear them out you get £50 off the next garment
Author: Carole Elizabeth Engel
Posted: Tue 27th May 2014, 6:36
Local Group: Calderdale
My thoughts exactly Nigel - very well expressed. So here's another big thank you to everyone involved. The weather suited me down to the ground - literally. Cool wet feet, no horrible, hot sunshine, light wind. The first time I have been able to drive myself home after a 100. My advice, for what its worth, is to buy some DECENT WATERPROOFS! If yours do not keep you dry they are not worth having. The ONLY garments that I have found to perform 100% are Paramo, so for heavens sake (Ms R.L. of Marches group), spend few quid and get some decent kit. After all, walking and the 100 are what many of you live for, so surely it is worth it? I was bone dry from start to finish, plus Paramo are wonderful to wear - soft and warm - worth every penny, wear very well and can be repaired by the manufacturer for next to nothing.
Author: Simon Pipe
Posted: Mon 26th May 2014, 23:54
As I write, George Foot and the Camel-Teign Hundred are on Radio 4 (programme started 11.30pm, I should think - available to UK listeners on the iplayer). I chatted with George on the Valleys Hundred and told him that I didn't feel much emotion on completing my first hundred last year, but listening to this superb programme had tears welling up. To find it on the radio just as a woke from a post-100 nap was incredible - and it's even better listening the second time round.
Author: Nigel Dean
Posted: Mon 26th May 2014, 23:01
Local Group: West Lancashire
A big thanks to the organising committee and all the helpers on an extremely memorable 100. It was never going to be the easiest but unfortunately the weather conspired to make it the hardest I've done. Only the year 2000 one came close for me again weather related. There will be a few disappointed people, but the organisers are not responsible for the weather so it should not detract from their selfless efforts. It spoiled the inspiring views but then the valleys were after all created by the ice and then rain (lots of it). For me at least the organisation appeared flawless. I did not appreciate the last climb with blistered feet and legs not fully operative but that is what makes routes memorable. The marking on the difficult to navigate bits was exceptional good and much appreciated as I usually walk on my own. The route description was also very good. What can you say about Rod Hollands completing two rounds, phenomenal! I know of a couple of lady on their first 100 that completed a superb effort from all first timers. Commiserations to the disappointed.
Thanks again to the organising committee and all the helpers for a memorable bank holiday weekend. Back to work tomorrow but with great memories.
Author: Merrian Lancaster
Posted: Mon 26th May 2014, 16:36
Pics from the weekend.
Posted: Fri 23rd May 2014, 13:08
Yes - showers at the school.
Not that you'll need them with the deluge we're experiencing at the moment!!!
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Fri 23rd May 2014, 12:13
Local Group: Mid Wales
Are there shower facilities at the school? I'll pack a towel if there are.

Or do I need to stand outside in the rain with a bar of soap!
Matt.
Author: Andy Todd
Posted: Tue 20th May 2014, 11:04
Kingsoft Office (which is free), shows the numbering correctly

http://www.kingsoftstore.co.uk/kingsoft-office-freeware.html
Author: Mark Edwards
Posted: Tue 20th May 2014, 9:14
Local Group: Merseystride
Had the same issue with Libre Office and paragraph numbers. But I opened the file in MS Works word processor (I normally never use this but it came up as an option on download), which did then show paragraph numbers. I then saved it in .docx format and opened in LibreOffice which did then show the numbers. Hope that helps!
Posted: Tue 20th May 2014, 8:58
I have just viewed routre despcription Version 16 May 2014 in MS Word & thankfully the paragraph numbers do appear, so it looks as though LibreOffice can't handle paragraph numbers (at least version 4.0.4.2 (Build ID: 4.0.4.2-9.el6) anyway)
Posted: Tue 20th May 2014, 8:45
I have just downloaded the updated route description (Word format), Version 16 May 2014 & have noticed that the paragraph numbers seem to be missing
Posted: Sat 17th May 2014, 16:30
Just 5.5 & 6.1.
Author: Chris Pitt
Posted: Fri 16th May 2014, 20:10
Dave, Is it just paragraph 5.5 and 6.1 that has changed or are there other changes included in this update?
Posted: Fri 16th May 2014, 11:21
Regarding the issues at Checkpoint 5, the GPX files for gps users have been amended to take the diversion to Moriah Hall into account.

Please visit:

http://www.ldwa.org.uk/2014Hundred/W/1826/route-details.html
Posted: Fri 16th May 2014, 8:36
Circumstances have taken our legs from underneath us, but thankfully we had a Plan 'B'. Abercynon Village Hall will NOT be ready in time after all. The builders were due to hand over the hall to the owners today (16.05.14) but due to issues with the floor, they have not finished in time.

So, it's Moriah Hall after all. At 37.3 miles, this is a key checkpoint as people will be preparing for their first night section. Please be aware that this hall is small and conditions WILL be cramped. We are sorry for the inconvenience that this will cause, but hope that you will appreciate that circumstances are well beyond our control.

All entrants (other than the postal entrants) have been emailed with access to the updated route description that is dated 16.05.14. The gpx files will be updated soon, but have not been done to date.
The amendments to the route will also be on display in the hall prior to the start in case people have already printed their route descriptions.
Posted: Sat 10th May 2014, 21:25
Richard - The bogs have eased up nicely. They're no longer neck deep, just waist deep ;-)
Author: Richard Plumley
Posted: Sat 10th May 2014, 20:14
Andrew, are you sure everybody is accounted for on the marshalls walk and that the owner of the helmet is not stuck in a bog on route
Posted: Sat 10th May 2014, 17:39
MARSHAL'S 100 - LOST PROPERTY

Left at the start/finish:
One motorcycle helmet.

If yours, please describe.
Posted: Thu 8th May 2014, 21:26
Are we being tracked?
That's dreadful, Jane will know how long I spend in the pubs.
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Thu 8th May 2014, 20:02
Local Group: Surrey
The web event update trial was a great success: I had friends and family following my progress in the UK, South Africa and New Zealand. It enabled those on the sidelines to follow what was happening more closely, and both increased interest and allayed anxiety. I had complaints about some checkpoints being very slow to update, but explained the service was still being debugged.

I think it will be a big hit on the main event.
Posted: Thu 8th May 2014, 16:24
How about that, just received them, that looks great, thanks David. Yes, all the other stuff is far too complicated for simple folk like myself to follow, "Too much information" as they say!!

Now I simply need to print the maps and RD off onto some paper, order some cheap specs off ebay so I can read the maps, find some laces for my trainers (kind of busted but should hold together one last time) and off we all go.
Simples really.
Matt.
Posted: Thu 8th May 2014, 15:45
The Final Instructions have been emailed to all entrants and for those that requested a postal notification, by post.

Matt - That's the first time I've had that type of feedback for providing too much information and I'll take that as a positive!!! Our aim has always been to let people know what's happening as opposed to rumours and conjecture that may have occurred in the past.
Author: Aaron Hookway
Posted: Thu 8th May 2014, 13:58
Local Group: Vermuyden (South Yorks)
Matt

I believe the final RD instructions are to be going live on Friday 9th.

I am pretty sure I have read that somewhere (poss on the Sth Wales 100 forum)

I am saving any printing till after that date!

Aaron
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Thu 8th May 2014, 13:28
Rebecca,

This is not going to be a Hundred where you can expect a "fast" time. It is all hilly. If the weather continues as it is at present, the existing boggy bits, will be even boggier. They will slow everyone down. After breakfast, there are long gradual ascents - and some awkward, steep and rocky ascents, which will not favour those who are normally quick going downhill. These descents will require care and concentration - and you will be tiring. For slower walkers like me, that may not be such a problem, but if you try to maintain a fast pace, and hope finish before dark on the second day, consider your strategy carefully. As far as overall time goes, if it is wet (or if it has been wet in the week leading up to the event) it might be reasonable to add + 3 hours to your estimated best "target time" in good conditions.

I really hope you do have fine weather, because it is a wonderful route with tremendous scenery. Even if the weather is poor, it will still be a great event, with terrific support and a really memorable experience.
Posted: Thu 8th May 2014, 10:54
There has been so much on here and the 100 site about the event and general instructions, that I rather lost the will to live looking for stuff.

Are we being sent any "Final Instructions?"
Can I now look at the route and print off my maps and RD knowing it's correct? I know we start/finish somewhere in Pontypool, that's as far as I've got.
Thanks Matt.
Posted: Thu 8th May 2014, 10:26
Rebecca,

You enquired about times on the Marshal's event.

The times people arrived at checkpoints can be seen at this link.http://sdrv.ms/1eDsk26
Posted: Thu 8th May 2014, 8:00
well done all. We're the times comparable to other events? after reccying the route I felt that this wasn't going to be a particularly 'quick' 100 as there are relatively few easy bits apart from the railway line and canal. Yes, I bet the air was a bit blue going up towards Folly Tower........
Posted: Wed 7th May 2014, 19:01
A great event: varied countryside, excellent route description and good weather - which made all the difference, as David says.

The first day takes care of much of the total ascent: four big, long hills over the first 35 miles. For the night section the terrain becomes flatter: farmland, meadow and bog (so falling asleep means falling in), followed by a gentle stretch along an old railway route. Then up into a forest, which would be pleasant walking, but that the local foresters have carved up the track so that it is rutted and ankle twisting: bad luck to them. Then a short moorland section: the flagged sections look intimidating on paper, but in practice (dare I say it) are dead easy. You stick the RD in your pocket and follow the flags. At night it’s even easier as the poles have little reflectors which stand out well in torchlight. Just remember that one reflector on its own is a reflector, two side by side is a sheep looking at you.

More hills after breakfast, but with gentler ascents than on the first day. The route forms two giant zigzags: up onto a ridge, south down the ridge, descend to the valley to a checkpoint, then cross the valley and back north along the next ridge. The final descent after Keepers Pond takes you down into gentler country.

Keeping dry feet in the boggy areas is difficult: I used three pairs of socks each day. Plenty of rocky descents, especially over the last 16 miles. The last rocky ascent before Folly Tower is a nice little sting in the tail to remind you that you’re not home until you are home.

If the check point support on the main event is as good as on the Marshals’ you’ll be welcomed, well fed, watered and encouraged. Thanks to South Wales Group and all the CP supporting groups for a very memorable event. A worthy successor to the Camel Teign.
Posted: Wed 7th May 2014, 8:41
Hi Rebecca

There have been some posts on the Valleys 100 forum in relation to the marshals' event.
I may not be the best person to describe my feelings as I designed the route!! But, for what it's worth.....I loved it! To walk a route that I first envisaged in about 2006 was a great feeling.

The sounds of cuckoos on the Saturday, combined with superb weather that provided far reaching views was very special indeed. From the summit of Twmbarlwm, Exmoor, the Mendips, the Cotswolds, the Malverns, The Beacons, the Black Mountain and Cardiff as well as all of The Valleys could be seen.

The route is a toughie and the cumulative ascent takes its toll, but you can't have a flat 100 in the geographical area known as The Valleys.
My feet survived well. There are stony tracks but in most cases there are grass verges to cling to which shuold protect the feet. The hardest part on my feet was the canal which suprised me as I thought when creating the route that this would be an area of respite. It wasn't!!
The final climb to the Folly Tower is hard, and will be long remembered, of that I have no doubt!!

But, we're ready to welcome the masses to The Valleys and looking forward to introducing you to our area. Fingers crossed for the weather to play its part too!!
Posted: Wed 7th May 2014, 8:17
Well......how did you all get on, or are you still out there???
Hope it went well and you 'enjoyed' it!
Posted: Tue 6th May 2014, 13:18
Andrew's One Drive photos link didn't work. He's amended it and sent it to me. You'll be able to access his photos at:

http://1drv.ms/1iTc2qu
Posted: Tue 6th May 2014, 12:29
I've also put a few pics on the OneDrive. See:

https://onedrive.live.com/#cid=3BFD6B53B1AFEDC0&id=3BFD6B53B1AFEDC0%21104
Posted: Tue 6th May 2014, 10:49
178 (and growing) photos from the Valleys 100 Marshals' Event can be viewed here:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.777394488945298.1073741894.278861995465219&type=1
Author: Merrian Lancaster
Posted: Tue 6th May 2014, 10:02
Photos from the marshals'.
Author: Rob Richardson
Posted: Thu 1st May 2014, 15:08
I notice that Satmap have recently issued the Valleys 100 route on a map card: http://www.satmap.co.uk/ukstore/product_info.php?cPath=308&products_id=4452
Posted: Wed 30th Apr 2014, 21:53
The names and entrant numbers for the Valleys 100 have now been published. They can be viewed at:

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=3BFD6B53B1AFEDC0!220&ithint=file%2c.xlsx&app=Excel&wdo=2&authkey=!AMayF0Tsg3JZPww

This sheet will be used live time during the event by the Valleys 100 team which will enable supporters to keep a track on entrants' movement around the Valleys 100 course.

Any person who asked that their details were not published has been identified as 'Annon'.
Posted: Tue 29th Apr 2014, 8:31
Entries are CLOSED!
534 entries in total.
111 selecting a 2pm start.

Final Instructions to be sent on 9th May.

Thank-you for your support on the Valleys 100 event.
Posted: Mon 28th Apr 2014, 12:54
Just reccied the route over 5 days (contentious I know, but it's my yearly holiday!!) and had a nice time. Found the RD excellent and easy to follow. Some of the night navigation is going to be tricky - I think there will be lots of searching around for stiles and kissing gates after following a bearing across a field at night but I noticed a lot of reflective disks have been placed on them so that will help - we struggled to find a couple of them in the daylight...... Some of the terrain is still VERY boggy which will be difficult to find a dry path through at night if it is still bad at the end of May.
Seemed to follow the formula of sending you all the way up a hill to send you all the way back down to the valley on a rocky path to the checkpoint x 12 (or it certainly felt like that after the 5th day of the reccy) but some lovely scenery from the top ......just what a shame about all the litter on the route - plastic bottles galore....but looking forward to it.
Posted: Thu 24th Apr 2014, 12:34
The following question was raised on the event forum and I thought it would be good to post it here just in case somebody has missed it.

The kit list says that required items are both 'a full set of waterproofs' and 'trousers to be carried if shorts are worn'. This suggests that two pairs of trousers should be carried at all times.Carrying two pairs of trousers would be a bit of a hassle, and we would love to avoid it if possible.Would it be OK to carry just one good pair of waterproof trousers that can serve both purposes?text

The official answer it:

Waterproofs are separate from trousers which could be as light as ronhills.
If on the second night an entrant is moving slowly and becomes cold they'll need their trousers. If it then starts to rain they'lll need their waterproof trousers.
There will be a minimum of one kit check on the event depending on weather conditions. Please don't find yourselves disqualified because you didn't have the right kit.text
Posted: Tue 22nd Apr 2014, 22:44
Fingers crossed for a clear Saturday night then. We're in for a meteor shower showing the first night of The Valleys 100.

Aaron
Author: Peter Jull
Posted: Tue 22nd Apr 2014, 12:33
Accuweather do a very long range weather forecast which now covers the 100 weekend. 62 and mostly sunny both days sounds just right. But how reliable can that be by a American service surely overstating their capabilities.
Posted: Mon 21st Apr 2014, 20:51
The final instructions for the Valleys 100 challenge event will be emailed and posted (for those who have requested postal notification) on the 9th May.

The instructions will include:
1. Details of the reserved section that has been witheld to protect the integrity of the event.
2. Car parking instructions.
3. Details of how to find the venue from:

A. A4042 Abergavenny.
B. A4042 Newport.
C. A472 Crumlin.

4. Check-in Details.
5. A link to the definitive route description that should be used to navigate the event.
6. A link to what will be the on-line results sheet where entrants can identify their entrant number. (Entrants who wish to withold their names from the event will be protected and named as 'Anon')
7. A link to the gpx tracks that can be used for gps devices. There will be 5 files of approximately 20 miles each which will protect the integrity of the files so that users can be confident in the quality of the waypoints.
Posted: Thu 17th Apr 2014, 10:53
As stated on the Pontypool (Start + Finish HQ) checkpoint webpage, "The school does not permit overnight parking or camping in school grounds either before or after the event." It may not be apparent that this *also* includes inside overnighting (gym or hall etc.) on the Friday night. (Inside overnight Sunday-Monday, and presumably Saturday-Sunday, is permitted.)

Because of these limitations (imposed by the *school*, not event organisers), I have booked a reasonably priced Pontypool hotel room for Friday night, as well as a different room on the Sunday and Monday nights. If anyone would like to share on either Friday or Sunday (and Monday ?), please let me know. My contact details are in Strider April '14 p71 (N Yorkshire group walk June 28th), email in first instance please.

Iain.
Author: Gerry Jackson
Posted: Tue 15th Apr 2014, 20:57
We have combined the 18 Marshals 100 route GPX files into 5 files each of around 20 miles and sent it out to entrants. We expect to do the same for the main event. So if you want to save work creating a single GPX file, wait until we have created the 5 GPX files.

It may be that there a single GPX file will have too many waypoints for GPS systems - the single file for last years 100 was too big for my SatMap
Author: Alan Greenwood
Posted: Tue 15th Apr 2014, 14:23
Forgive me Merrian after all your training I still get the link wrong. Press here to get the correct link.
Author: Alan Greenwood
Posted: Tue 15th Apr 2014, 14:15
I have been asked several times if it is possible to join up into one gpx file the separate sections on the Valleys 100. I decided to have a crack at it notwithstanding that I shall have to do it all again in the week before the event. I will replace my present effort with the corrected versions once they are available post the marshals' event and after the present embargo on part of the route is lifted. Press here The file is zipped but that should not prove difficult to unzip with windows 7 and 8. I have been a bit sloppy when joining some of the sections together but will iron these out in the final version. I have not searched to see if DM intends doing or has done this but it will be useful for those who only glance at their gps infrequently to see where they are in relation to the route.
Posted: Sun 13th Apr 2014, 12:45
Version 13.04.14 updated which addresses the error identified below.

Please note that we will advise entrants when the RD is the definitive RD. At the moment entrants should treat the RD as a working copy. We will advise you of any alterations at the Valleys 100 forum.

http://valleys100.southwalesldwa.org/forum/index.php
Posted: Sun 13th Apr 2014, 10:07
Well spotted Rob.
This error has taken place with all the changes that have taken place at Abercynon. I have just checked the marshals' walk route description that was sent out this week. That IS accurate.
A new version for the main event will be uploaded this week to reflect the amendment to the error. In the meantime, the start from Moriah Hall is:

6.1 Leave CP & TR. Arrive at T JCN. TL steeply down hill. Remain on LH pavement. Pass underneath bridge & follow pavement to arrive at pedestrian Xing. X RD & TR. SO into alleyway & emerge at RD.

Please note - The Moriah Hall WILL be used for the marshals' event and MAY be used for the main event.
Author: Rob Foster
Posted: Sat 12th Apr 2014, 17:12
Local Group: Sussex
Ihave a query re the (otherwise excellent) Valleys 100 Route Instructions:

When doing a reccie of Stage 6, from Moriah Hall, ref para 6.1 - the notes say 'Leave CP and TL'.

I am sure this should be 'TR', which then goes along North St to the main rd (B4275 towards the river) & pedestrian Xing.

Perhaps someone could confirm this?

Thanks, Rob
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Wed 9th Apr 2014, 11:29
Scary, but also re-assuring The Marshals RD is only 15 pages - that's pretty good. So, only 8 pages printed back to back.

Easier and lighter to carry, less to read and cheaper to laminate.

It also suggests that the route is fairly straightforward ( but, I didn't say it would be easy... . )
Posted: Tue 8th Apr 2014, 22:24
Eeeek getting the final instructions seems very scary! Looking forward to studying in detail (well, once I've got the Woldsman out of the way!)
Posted: Tue 8th Apr 2014, 21:17
Just a reminder - if any Valleys 100 entrant wishes to buy merchandise and wants to collect it on the weekend of the main event then it needs to be ordered before or on the cut-off date which is 12 April. Merchandise can be ordered after 12 April but will incur a postage charge.

See http://www.ldwa.org.uk/2014Hundred/W/2054/merchandise.html for details.
Posted: Tue 8th Apr 2014, 21:10
The final instructions have been sent out by email and post to the 49 entrants on the Valleys 100 Marshals' event.
Author: Armorel Young
Posted: Mon 7th Apr 2014, 19:57
Local Group: Sherwood
Great - thanks for that, David.
Posted: Mon 7th Apr 2014, 10:02
Absolutely right Armorel. That's exactly right. The document is effectively complete now, but as with any route description, it will be tweaked as changes to the landscape are identified. We expect no other changes, but will not identify the RD as the definitive one until after the marshals' event. But, if you pick up the RD now, it will get you around with no issues at all.
Author: Armorel Young
Posted: Sun 6th Apr 2014, 21:01
Local Group: Sherwood
I'm getting slightly confused by all the amendments. I'm planning to recce the 100 over Easter, so in just under two weeks time. Can I safely assume that all I need is the latest version of the route description from the website, since all the amendments will have been incorporated into that?
Posted: Sun 6th Apr 2014, 17:31
Thanks - my recce now put back till May, and will be night-time stretches (which include Abercynon) only.

Masie gorn far today ? Swimmer in the wet bits ?

Iain
Posted: Sun 6th Apr 2014, 15:57
Hi Iain,

I wouldn't worry too much about the updating of the RD. It's a living document and soon after the marshals' walk, I'll be updating EVERY entrant with details of the definitive RD. If any amendments are made to that document, then they will all be advised by email, and for those who don't have email, they will receive details of the amendments on the day, so that they can alter their RD's prior to setting out.

We placed the RD on the site to assist people get used to where our event is taking you, but we always expected to tell people when the RD is THE definitive RD!

Thanks for your interest and feedback over the past few months.

David Morgan
Posted: Thu 3rd Apr 2014, 22:51
Valleys website news mentions amendments to paragraphs 15.2 and 15.3 of route description, but latest version (29March) has no 15.3.

Thanks for the update on Abercynon.

Iain
Posted: Thu 3rd Apr 2014, 22:17
Excellent.Thanks, Kevin
Author: Kevin Pearson
Posted: Thu 3rd Apr 2014, 21:04
Elton,
Have a look at the Latest News section on the Valleys 100 website. It indicates that we are back on the original route to the new Abercynon checkpoint, along with a few other minor changes on the latest route description.
Posted: Wed 2nd Apr 2014, 22:11
On Treegate: are the paths before Abercynon open yet? I went through on the original route almost a month ago, and there was little more than brushwood across the track here and there, except just before the town at ST076944 where a tree between the bank and the fence blocked the way.
Posted: Fri 28th Mar 2014, 18:32
Hi Matt,
I'm afriad not. Because some people want to keep their details anonymous from the web, and because SI can't filter their details, I'm afriad it's an all or nothing re publication of people attending.

Regards,

David
Posted: Wed 26th Mar 2014, 22:17
Is there a list of entrants anywhere that can be 'browsed', just wondered if anyone I know is in it.
Matt.
Posted: Mon 17th Mar 2014, 21:20
Excellent! Thanks very much Phil.
Author: Phil Mitchell
Posted: Mon 17th Mar 2014, 9:24
Hi Madeline,

We will be having a handful of magnets and fobs available at the Valleys 100, I will put these by for you to collect over the weekend.

regards
Phil
Merchandise Valleys 100
Posted: Wed 12th Mar 2014, 22:29
Is anyone ordering something from merchandise and willing to add my order to theirs? I only want a key ring but the minimum order is £5 and it won't let me do it. I would have a polo shirt, but green is really not my colour! Or can I buy one at the event?
Posted: Fri 7th Mar 2014, 19:37
Update on Treegate!
I have walked the section from Cwmavon to the finish today as I really needed a day on the hills, and the spring weather pulled me so hard, I had to go for a walk!!

Anyway, it's great news.
Section 13: The tree that was at GR SO 274 063 has been removed.

Section 14: The tree that was at GR SO 284 115 was being removed as I walked through. The guys from the Woodland Trust were doing a great job, but for some reason, they wouldn't chop the 5 ton tree into manageable logs and convey to my home address for my wood burner!!!

Section 17: The tree that was at GR SO 292 005 has been tidied up. It's easy to get past now and as it was near the end of my walk, I grabbed a few logs for my wood burner!!
Posted: Mon 3rd Mar 2014, 10:59
Update on 'Treegate'!!

One of the trees on Section 5 (Llanwonno - Abercynon) has been cleared. One of our volunteers, Phil Mitchell travelled 35 miles (each way) from Caldicot with his trusty chainsaw to remove a hawthorn tree at grid reference ST 070 934 to find that someone had beaten him to it.
So that's one tree gone.

The Forestry Commission (Natural Resources Wales) have confirmed that their activities in the woodland between ST 070 934 where they have felled trees across the path, will be completed by May.
We will continue to monitor this and as soon as we know that the path is clear, will re-route the event along the original path, thus returning to the original mileage.

Natural Resources Wales have also confirmed that they are already aware of the fallen trees above Parc Cwm Darran at grid reference SO 117 037 and have arrangements in place to remove the trees as soon as possible.

We are still awaiting Torfaen Council's update.
Posted: Thu 27th Feb 2014, 17:07
More damage I'm afraid.
Checkpoint 7 to Checkpoint 8 and a little further where there are some trees were today checked by one of the volunteers. Unfortunately, another issue which isn't entirely surprising given the hurricance force winds we had a couple of weeks ago.

The only problem identified were 4 trees down on the forestry track above Parc Cwm Darran at SO 117 037.
I am advised that you can walk around the trees, but we have still asked the Forestry Commission (Natural Resources Wales) and Caerphilly Council to remove them.
Posted: Thu 27th Feb 2014, 9:03
We currently have a team of South Wales LDWA volunteers checking the whole route. This is because of the issues we have identified with fallen trees near Abercynon that have meant that the route has had to be diverted, although temporarily we hope!
We have more issues, and this information is for the attention of those who are planning on recceing the route.

So, from Cwmavon (CP12) to the finish, the following issues have been identified.

Section 13.1 by dry stone wall, SO274063. Tree down but easy to pass under tree.
WE HAVE CONTACTED TORFAEN COUNCIL TO ASK FOR THIS TO BE REMOVED.

Section 14.2, following path uphill from Punchbowl pond through trees, SO284115. Tree down but easy to walk around tree.
WE HAVE PREVIOUSLY ASKED FOR THIS TREE TO BE REMOVED, BUT AS IT IS EASY TO WALK AROUND, WE ARE RELAXED ABOUT THIS ONE.

Section 17.2, descending path through woods to KGT at road, SO292005. You can get past tree but only with difficulty. It is about 100 yards up the path from the gate, near the Pontypool park gates. Also, a lot of debris has been washed down this path, which is impeding the opening of the gate.
WE HAVE CONTACTED TORFAEN COUNCIL TO ASK FOR THIS TO BE REMOVED.

Further updates on the state of the route following the storms will be posted as and when we receive them, and our volunteers know that time is of the essence, so are expecting to have early updates. It's a case of watching this space.

If you wish to see photos of the specific tree damage, then please either view the updates in the Valleys 100 forum at:

http://valleys100.southwalesldwa.org/forum/index.php

or

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.742328905785190.1073741885.278861995465219&type=3&uploaded=5#!/media/set/?set=a.742328905785190.1073741885.278861995465219&type=1
Posted: Mon 24th Feb 2014, 19:41
We have some issues on the route between Llanwonno to Abercynon due to the high winds having blown down several trees.

So, it is currently impossible to walk from Llanwonno to Abercynon via the planned route. I have today recce'd an alternative route for people to use when recceing the route, and unless we can remove the trees in time for the event, this may even be the route that we use.

The downside is that the alternative uses a cycle route that means that the route now uses a lot of tarmac. The additional route is also 1.1 mile longer, but I am sure that our customers will fully appreciate that this matter is out of our hands, and it is our hope that we can persuade the relevant authorities to prioritise the work on our behalf ahead of the event.

In addition, I alluded to an additional issue at one of our checkpoints. The issue is at Abercynon as our preferred option was to use Abercynon Hall which we booked three years ago. The hall has received a grant for £120,000 and the work needed to start this financial year. It can finish next financial year, and we are aware that the work is already two weeks behind schedule. So, there is a doubt that that the hall will be ready in time for the main event. It will certainly not be ready for the marshals' walk.

So, John Cunnane and Gwyn Matthews have worked very hard in trying to secure an alternative location. We have found somewhere and it is called Moriah Hall. Now, it is much smaller than the original hall, and the facilities are much more basic, but in the circumstances, we know that you will understand our issues. So, the route description has been amended to take into account the fact that we are now likely to use Moriah Hall.

If we are able to return to the original route then we will advise you, and you can assume that we will be using Moriah Hall until we hear that the original venue will be avialable to us.

We are sorry for the inconvenience that this has caused, and ask for your patience whilst we try to fix problems that we never expected to have to deal with with such a short time before the event was due to be held.

David Morgan
Posted: Sun 23rd Feb 2014, 20:14
The Valleys 100 website is well populated with photos from the route, but members might also wish to view other photos of the route that have been taken on social walks.
Some of the photos are stored on our Facebook pages. A few can be seen here:

Start to Checkpoint 2:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.639025249448890.1073741842.278861995465219&type=3

Checkpoint 2 to Checkpoint 5:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.664521050232643.1073741869.278861995465219&type=3

Checkpoint 5 to Checkpoint 9:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.682822471735834.1073741872.278861995465219&type=3

Checkpoint 9 to Checkpoint 12:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.740527135965367.1073741884.278861995465219&type=3

Checkpoint 12 to Finish:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.628491507168931.1073741840.278861995465219&type=3
Posted: Wed 29th Jan 2014, 7:47
It is hoped that shortly after each checkpoint closes we will be able to post the entrant checkpoint arrival times into a read only spreadsheet on the internet. This will enable entrants, supporters, checkpoint staff and stay at home members to follow the progress of all the entrants. You will need internet access via smart phone, tablet or PC.

For the Marshals' event use the link http://sdrv.ms/1eDsk26
For the Main event use the link http://sdrv.ms/1arXn2x

This has only been used on one previous event, so if we have a few problems please bear with us.
Posted: Sat 11th Jan 2014, 8:11
Those looking for a memento of the event might like to know that the on-line shop is now open for orders, alternatively an order form is available on the web-site at:

http://www.ldwa.org.uk/2014Hundred/W/2054/merchandise.html
Posted: Sat 11th Jan 2014, 8:08
Iain,

Your point understood.

The webmaster is away this week-end but on his return he will emphasise the point clearly on the website that there are no camping facilities at the start/finish and only indoor sleeping is available Saturday and Sunday nights.

Thank you for pointing this out.
Posted: Fri 10th Jan 2014, 22:27
David, what I was suggesting is that the information in the website Accomodation page is not enough to pre-warn people that there is no camping or overnighting outside the Pontypool checkpoint premises at all, and only inside on Saturday and Sunday nights. Judging by the ease with which I was able to amend my local hotel booking to include Friday, the message may have not got through.

I wouldn't have wanted to turn up on the Friday evening expecting to be able to sleepmat in a gym (and leave the sleeping stuff till I return), put up a tent outside or park a campervan, as appears to be the expectation from other hundreds. Since there appears to be nowhere locally providing such facilities, it might be important to give this greater emphasis.

The latest discussion in the event forum, 'Sleeping', may need to be shifted to a more appropriate place, such as under 'Checkpoints' (it's not a website issue).

Iain.
Posted: Fri 10th Jan 2014, 21:44
Hi Iain,

You're right about the arrangements at the school for the Friday night. We have supplied plenty of information relating to accommodation including where you can camp. This can be found at:

http://www.ldwa.org.uk/2014Hundred/W/2052/local-accommodation.html

Thanks for highlighting this issue, a subject that has also been discussed on the valleys 100 forum which can be read at:

http://valleys100.southwalesldwa.org/forum/
Posted: Fri 10th Jan 2014, 12:17
In contrast to other recent hundreds, it may be news to many participants that there is to be no Friday night sleeping, inside or outside, at the event HQ checkpoint. Nor, it seems, is there space for caravans, motor caravans (RVs) or tents, on *any* night. If I have this right, the *only* overnighting allowed will be inside (gym, hall, etc.) on Saturday and Sunday.

As far as I can see, there isn't a campsite or camping/caravan site in Pontypool, and the two nearest authorised camping places are respectively 5 and 9 road miles away.

Perhaps you might clarify or emphasise this on the event website's accomodation (Information -> Local Accomodation) and checkpoint (Information -> Checkpoint Data -> HQ Pontypool) pages, and the event forum (the most recent entry on the subject is in 'Valleys 100 web-site').

Iain.
Posted: Sun 29th Dec 2013, 18:09
It's the 29th December, and I am still awaiting payment from 38 individuals!!
Please would you be kind enough to make payment as agreed by the 31st December.

Regards,

David Morgan
Entries Secretary
Valleys 100
Posted: Thu 28th Nov 2013, 18:23
I have now sent invitations to all applicants for the Valleys 100 who met the entry criteria.
It is obvious that we are not going to need a ballot.
The majority have been sent invitations by SI Entries.
Some by email from thevalleys100@hotmail.co.uk
Some by post and letters have been sent out.

Entries are still open for the event, and a waiting list will be started soon, as I anticipate that we will hit the 550 within a couple of weeks.
Thanks for your patience during the verification process, and we look forward to meeting you in the South Wales Valleys.

David Morgan
Posted: Fri 15th Nov 2013, 13:15
Aaron,

The hills are only big if you go straight up them.
A lot of the climbs are steady slopes.

Enjoy:-)
Posted: Fri 25th Oct 2013, 19:11
It is indeed available on BBC iPlayer

Them hills look bloody big!!! GULP!
Posted: Fri 25th Oct 2013, 8:17
There was an excellent little TV programme BBC4 on Wednesday night called "Britain From Above". This week's episode featured the Rhondda valleys (first third of programme) and provided an interesting history & view of the area where next year's 100 will take place. I'm sure that it's available on BBC iPlayer.
Posted: Sun 13th Oct 2013, 22:25
The on-line entries for the Valleys 100 will be open for business in under two hours!!
Please follow the link below to go straight to the SI Entries page.

https://www.sientries.co.uk/event.php?event_id=1129

The marshals' event can be accessed by following the link below.

https://www.sientries.co.uk/event.php?event_id=1128
Posted: Tue 1st Oct 2013, 21:45
In two weeks time, the entries for the Valleys 100 will open.

Some thought has been given to assisting entrants choose their start time. It would be most helpful if prospective entrants read the rationale behind choosing a start time. The information can be found at:

http://www.ldwa.org.uk/2014Hundred/W/2703/choice-of-start-time.html

We look forward to seeing the entries coming in, and would like to remind people that we are offering both postal and online entries. Our online entries will be hosted by SI Entries and the link to the online page is:

https://www.sientries.co.uk/event.php?event_id=1129

If you haven't looked at the Valleys 100 website, then you can see what we are offering by going to:

http://www.ldwa.org.uk/2014Hundred
Posted: Sun 8th Sep 2013, 20:48
Valleys 100 Forum

A forum dedicated to the Valleys 100 and has now gone live. Any questions or discussions about the Valleys 100 should take place in that forum. See

http://www.ldwa.org.uk/2014Hundred/W/2055/forum.html
Posted: Mon 12th Aug 2013, 20:19
Walked from CP5 to CP13 early August. Really enjoyed the climb from 9b onto the ridge above Ebbw Vale – lovely path and indeed from then right onto CP13 at Blaenavon, where we finished our weekend visit to the area. Magnificent views from the ridges. Quite different from the Cant Canolbarth - more rugged and wild, yet still scenic and beautiful. Welsh mining villages nestled on the hillsides - row after row of tiny terraced houses - verdant valleys below and frequent visits to the high level open access hill and moorland above. The climbs were all gentle - honest - and welcomed for the views - superb.
There were a few glitches (an indistinct path, a few overgrown areas and a difficult stream crossing) but I have it on good authority, they will be sorted (some flagging, some trimming and a new bridge - just for us!).
The Valleys 100 - a jewel in the crown of the LDWA 100s.
Posted: Thu 6th Jun 2013, 11:02
What an impressive start - very well done to all in the S Wales group for getting this in so early and with so much information (Route description in June ! Maps ! Finish menus ! photos from each leg !) established. If only the rest of the world was half as organised ...

Iain
Posted: Wed 5th Jun 2013, 21:31
In respect of the questions posed.

There will be two starts:
10am & 2pm. Details as to why these times have been chosen will be given in detail when the website is updated later in the year.

Yes, a detailed gpx track will be available. This is a walked gpx track and not a 'designed' track, so you can be confident that you know the route you are following is the correct route. In addition, a detailed route description will be available ahead of the event, and it will NOT include areas where permission has been granted for the two events only. Ahead of the events, people who wish to recce will be directed to follow rights of way. We will identify the actual permitted sections about two weeks before the event to protect the integrity of the event.

Details of how to enter with rules etc will be added later in the year once the final entry fee is known.
Posted: Wed 5th Jun 2013, 14:40
As this is right on my doorstep I am very keen to be involved - hopefully as my 1st 100! If i'm injured perhaps I can help with marshalling or checkpoints... Website looking good, will there be a GPX of the route posted?
Author: Jim Tinnion
Posted: Tue 4th Jun 2013, 17:02
It does look great, there are some fabulous photos of the route and a lot of effort has obviously gone into the website already. It's straight in my diary too, Phil, despite the disruption it causes to my fell running season!

Zoe and I are doing Three Rings of Shap on Saturday week so she can qualify too - just supporting obviously isn't enough for her. I hope my feet are recovered enough to get round with her...
Posted: Tue 4th Jun 2013, 5:13
Superb website - what a fantastic start to the Valleys 100
Author: Phil Clarke
Posted: Mon 3rd Jun 2013, 19:34
Wow, route looks fantastic. I like the spacing of the checkpoints, only one over 9 miles, and some really small distances towards the end, just what tired feet and minds need!

Just one question, is the main start time 10.00?
Posted: Mon 3rd Jun 2013, 13:58
Wonderful emblem: 'Spirit of dragon', like the Uffington White Horse
Posted: Fri 31st May 2013, 21:28
Website now open at:

http://www.ldwa.org.uk/2014Hundred

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law