Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - OS get a map.

Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Sat 17th Aug 2013, 15:46
Local Group: Mid Wales
I have this and it does what I want - when it works!

Unfortunately last weekend I couldn't log in (when I desperately needed the maps for Monday) due to them changing something in their 'shop'. Of course I couldn't contact anyone on the phone till Monday morning, when they said it was their problem and sorted it within 5 minutes. Great, new password and all working again for the week.

Turn on computer today (Saturday) to update and print off maps for next week - problem back again - can't access my site or print maps.

Tearing my hair out till Monday again, should I ask for a refund perhaps? It isn't really good enough for an institution as big as the OS (which we pay for) to have no weekend backup for when they acknowledge there is an on going fault with their system and I am paying a subscription to access it.

Anyone else have this? Matt.
Author: John King
Posted: Fri 10th May 2013, 14:45
I use Grough :- http://www.grough.co.uk/route/

At two pound a month tis ceap as chips (with a reducing charge if you sign up for longer) I just pay the 2 quid as and when I want to plan and print off new routes.

Have fun JohnK
Posted: Thu 9th May 2013, 11:42
Thanks all for the info, sounds like what I want.
Matt.
Author: David Morgan
Posted: Tue 7th May 2013, 12:02
Local Group: South Wales
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/

is a free site where you just need to register and then log in. I can 'screen print' the area that I want down to 1:25,000 for maps that I would not normally want to keep, and print off.
Posted: Tue 7th May 2013, 9:39
I have been using OS get a map for just over a year now and have recently renewed my subscription. I use it in much the same way as Neil, with the only niggle being that I can't print onto larger size paper on my A3 printer. But then, neither can I on my digital mapping software. It is really useful for those days or short breaks away where you don't really want to buy a map, but also because you can tailor the area you print. When buying paper maps I quite often have a large area of the map that I will not use (usually because it is urban), or I have to buy two maps to cover the area I want.Get a Map really helps in this situation. In my case well worth the subscripton.
Annette Merchant
Author: Alan Stewart
Posted: Fri 26th Apr 2013, 10:34
Local Group: Kent
Reference my earlier post, that was meant to be 1:25 scale Explorer not 1:50
Author: Neil Bromley
Posted: Fri 26th Apr 2013, 10:17
Local Group: Heart of England
OS Getamap is currently only £20 for an annual subscription or £8 for a month, for which you get access to all OS maps, including printing and route plotting rights, plus the ability to import routes if you are GPS-minded.I found the annual subscription covered its costs quickly by saving me acquiring maps for short holidays or one-off "remote" challenge events. The local library never seems to have the exact map I want, certainly not in 1:25000 scale. All this assumes you have a colour printer or GPS, of course
Author: Simon Leck
Posted: Fri 26th Apr 2013, 9:22
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
There's also TrailZilla from Memory-Map who provide a similar service to OS Get a map. Which is £25 the whole year and £7.50 for 90 days.

http://www.trailzilla.com/

And Mapyx that provide the OS Pro license on your PC for £10 + vat a month, which you can cancel at anytime

http://www.mapyx.com/

Simon.
Author: Alan Stewart
Posted: Thu 25th Apr 2013, 10:17
Local Group: Kent
Just used it for the first time on the Dorset Giant route. I was able to import the gpx file into getamap and print out the route in 1:50 Explorer scale in sections on A4 paper with both sets of grid numbers, both in portrait and landscape. The only restriction I found was not being able to print in A3 as I have an A3 colour printer. Hopes this helps.
Posted: Wed 24th Apr 2013, 22:06
Does anyone use this and can they give me some advice, regards pitfalls/advantages.

Thinking of doing some long distance paths (maybe Cambrian Way), so rather than carry all my 1:25000's is it feasible to simply subscibe to the 'getamap' for a month (about £8) and print off all the sections I need and mark the route up. Then discard them as I go along - yes, in a wastebin!

Would seem a cheap way of going about it as I don't quite have all the OS maps anyway. Or should I spend ages scanning and printing from what I have?

I could also print any other path routes for the future, in that month. I don't do GPS stuff, so don't suggest them.

Am I missing something, or does this make sense?
Matt.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law