Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Website Development - Strider: electronic/online: downloadable & PDF

Author: Simon Leck
Posted: Fri 27th Feb 2015, 19:32
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
Sorry Tony but, in a nutshell it's all down to getting DRM protection working rather than having an open pdf format where people could share it amongst themselves and not pay their £13 subscription, we're worried this might cause a negative effect - losing members would mean an increase in LDWA subs. TGO are a commercial operation not run by volunteers and so have more resources available to them than I do. So, the decision was collectively made by the ISC to trial this format.
Author: Tony Cartwright
Posted: Fri 13th Feb 2015, 14:32
Local Group: Surrey
Simon,

Not making eStrider platform independent seems VERY odd in this day and age. I subscribe to TGO for example and I can open this on any platform. Indeed they would lose custom if they made viewing platform dependent. I suspect most online journals/magazines are similarly platform independent. So why not Strider? Maybe I'm missing something here but why can't you just export Strider as a PDF and make it available for download to members subscribing to eStrider? - just like TGO. Why does it have to be so complicated?

Tony
Author: Tony Cartwright
Posted: Fri 13th Feb 2015, 14:21
Local Group: Surrey
Noel,

I don't understand your comment about about .pdf files. I regularly access such files on my iPad. I've never seen it as an issue. PDFs I sometimes open in iBook to make them readily accessible. Maybe I'm missing something here?

Tony
Author: Noel Peat
Posted: Tue 3rd Jun 2014, 21:56
Local Group: High Peak
There is an issue with Apple IOS devices and Adobe software. For whatever reason, Adobe software is not supported on Apple mobile devices - hence .pdf files cannot be accessed on iPads, iPhones etc.
Author: Nic Arb
Posted: Tue 23rd Apr 2013, 13:50
Local Group: Kent
No idea why my post went blank. Anyway I had initially written:
I can only see and download the 3 first pages on my Android tablet (on which I have installed the Flash APK) and only with Firefox, since Chrome doesn't support Flash.
Author: Nic Arb
Posted: Tue 23rd Apr 2013, 13:47
Local Group: Kent
Author: Allan G H Gould
Posted: Mon 22nd Apr 2013, 19:45
Local Group: Nidderdale
Errmmm. all I asked for is for the magazine to be available as PDF (it's obviously available as PDF somehwhere if you're creating the Flash version from PDF). Shouldn't be too hard to make the PDF available as well for download. Flash is not exactly the most "accessible" technology, PDF isn't much better either, but at least it's slightly better.
Author: Simon Leck
Posted: Sun 21st Apr 2013, 9:05
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
Hi Allan,

Thanks for your feedback regarding eStrider.

Currently eStrider is only available on PCs and Laptops with an Internet connection.

It is created by a programme called 'PDF to Flash Magazine' which creates a Flash Magazine, which uses... you've guessed it Flash and unfortunately won't work on an iPad, due to fact that Flash isn't supported on this platform. You may remember the recent controversy around this. The company who make the software we use to make eStrider claim that Flash Magazine should work on an Android Tablet, however I own a Samsung Tab 2 and it runs very slowly on this device. So I don’t think we’re quite there yet with this technology.

We chose this product to create eStrider as it only costs $99 and we wanted to see how the eStrider concept would be accepted by the LDWA membership before we invested larger sums of money into this project. I’ve taken onboard your feedback. All I can say is watch this space and hopefully in time eStrider will be available on portable devices and will complement the paper version.

Simon.
Author: Allan G H Gould
Posted: Fri 19th Apr 2013, 2:54
Local Group: Nidderdale
I've started a new thread as I don't want to add to the existing one as this is a specifi question about the electronic version

1. Please can it be downloadable (I couldn't find any way of downloading it): I'd like to read (& store) it offline.

2. Please can it be available as PDF (as well): I'm not keep on Flash.

Allan

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law