Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - A Sterne Encounter

Author: W. Paul Tremere
Posted: Tue 3rd Jun 2014, 15:07
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Places still available on this fine challenge in a little walked AONB.
Entry £8 or £10 on the day.
See more info in previous post of 24th April
Posted: Wed 23rd Apr 2014, 12:26
"A man should know something of his own country before he goes abroad” Laurence Sterne (1713 / 1768)

The organisers have introduced the following changes for the 2014 Sterne Encounter
Start now at Coxwold Village Hall. Located just 4 miles from the A19 with ample car parking on site.
Addition of a short route of about 15 miles, suitable for less experienced walkers.

Copy and paste this link into your browser to download an entry form and enjoy a great walk.
http://www.ldwa.org.uk/EastYorkshire/W/1514/challenge-efs-results.html
Author: Simon Leck
Posted: Tue 20th Aug 2013, 9:03
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
Folks,

Click here for the 2013 Sterne Encounter Results.

Simon.
Author: Ian Sykes
Posted: Sat 17th Aug 2013, 16:56
If anybody what's the results for the Sterne Encounter 2013 please e-mail me on sykes480@sykes480.karoo.co.uk and I'll e-mail you a copy.

I would put it on here but I don't know how. :-(
Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Sun 14th Jul 2013, 11:40
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Paul - I was on holiday that weekend which was the main reason I didn't go. In terms of holiday planning - it was the only week that we could do (with Duke of Edinburgh weekends, music courses for me and the children, exam results days (x2), etc etc) and even then our eldest didn't come with us as she was off to China on a Uni exchange and sightseeing visit.

In general, I haven't done many events over the summer, doing other running events instead. I have tried to do something each weekend between January and May building up to the hundred and the rest of the year just odd events. In years when I have entered the Bullock Smithy at the beginning of September I've tried to do some more over the summer, but it is quite difficult to fit in. So for planning, if you had it early in the year, I would be more likely to do it. Not so good for the weather for marshals of course and the chance of being cancelled from bad weather... And you run other events then anyway. But, currently nothing on that I could see for 11/12th Jan or 22/23rd March next year!

I also think that it does take a while to build up numbers for events. Seems a lot of people do the same events each year and so therefore don't do any new ones.
Posted: Sat 13th Jul 2013, 19:54
Since the response to my previous post brought such an underwhelming response, I guess that readers of this forum did not enter the Sterne Encounter.
So, instead of providing feedback on the event, please indicate why you decided to give it a miss.
Inconvenient date? Unpopular walking area? Route looked uninteresting / too long / too short? Ampleforth is a difficult place to find? Too expensive?
Why didn't you enter?
Posted: Mon 1st Jul 2013, 17:23
Did you do the Sterne Encounter last Saturday?
If so, please help to solve the mystery of why there are so few entries.
Is the Event too expensive? Is it an unattractive route? Are the refreshments inadequate?
What’s the problem? Let us know and we will try to put matters right.
Otherwise tell your pals what a wonderful time you had and that they should make a real effort to come along next year.
Author: Dr. John Batham
Posted: Mon 10th Jun 2013, 17:12
Come along to the Sterne Encounter on 29th June, organised by East Yorks; a terrific route, described in the link below

https://www.ldwa.org.uk/lgt/downloads/EastYorkshire/Sterne_Route_Description_2013.pdf
Posted: Thu 30th May 2013, 16:03
The Sterne Encounter requires Explorer Maps 299 and 300, together with Outdoor Leisure 26.
Alternatively, Landranger 100 covers the whole route.
Dash4it (dash4it.com) sell Explorers for £5.19 and Landrangers for £4.54
Another option is a "custom made" Explorer Map available from the Ordinance Survey, (www.shop.ordnancesurveyleisure.co.uk). This should be centred on 550770 just outside Coxwold.
An expensive choice, but saves having to carry 3 separate, 1:25000 maps.
Posted: Sun 14th Apr 2013, 17:16
“A man should know something of his own country before he goes abroad” Laurence Sterne (1713 / 1768)

The 23½ mile Sterne Encounter begins at 8:30 from Ampleforth Village Hall (583787) on Saturday 29th June.
The gently undulating route uses public rights of way on the Howardian Hills. It visits Byland Abbey, Coxwold & Oulston, in this little walked region.
Entry is £8 (£10 on the day) with forms available from; Ian Sykes, 480 Southcoates Lane, Hull, HU9 3UB, or downloaded from the East Yorkshire LDWA website.

You will be sure of a warm welcome and a grand day's walking!

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law