Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - The Winter Poppyline

Author: Melissa Butcher
Posted: Sat 9th Mar 2013, 17:02
Local Group: London
Agreed ... Thanks to all the marshals and organisers for a great event. Beautiful countryside. Special thanks to Allen for the spare torch ... I will now publicly promise to always change my batteries at a checkpoint and not try to do it in the middle of a forest, in the middle of the night, in the middle of Norfolk.
Author: Louise Whittaker
Posted: Tue 26th Feb 2013, 22:51
Local Group: Staffordshire
Endorse everything already said - a very big thank you to all who supported the c/points and also those organisers in the backroom. Its great to have the opportunity to walk a 50 miler this time of year. Thank you.
Author: Ian Graves
Posted: Mon 25th Feb 2013, 23:16
Local Group: East Yorkshire
First time on the Winter Poppyline, but won't be the last. A freezing cold Friday night on the coast and I feared the worse. On the day, and once inland, the weather was great for walking and dry underfoot, couldn't have been better. Smiling faces and fantasic checkpoint catering (especially the cheese topped crumpets at CP5). Thanks to Jim and Jill for guiding me home through the dark, glad the ankle stayed strong Jill x. See you next year.
Author: Stephen Mayne
Posted: Mon 25th Feb 2013, 21:21
Local Group: Dorset
Many thanks to the Norfolk and Suffolk group for their very enjoyable event and also good to be somewhere that wasn't muddy!!!!!
Author: David Giles
Posted: Mon 25th Feb 2013, 13:56
Local Group: Sussex
Yes, could not agree more, this is a great event in a wonderful part of the country, the route description was spot on and a warm welcome enjoyed at the check points, thanks to all involved
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Mon 25th Feb 2013, 11:35
Local Group: Surrey
The ten days or so dry weather made a huge difference to the walking: Conditions underfoot were the best I’ve seen on summer or winter Poppylines. A few puddles to be skirted or jumped here and there, but largely dry. Except of course for the infamous bridleway lane just before Hanworth, which had its normal quota of ankle deep mud – just to remind us we’re on a Challenge walk. Even the beach section was on sand packed by a receding tide. The weather was good: Light snow off and on all day and night, and very cold air.

Thanks to Norfolk and Suffolk Group for hosting the event, for their friendliness and efficiency in getting us fed and watered at the checkpoints, and for the excellent catering: Hot tea and coffee even in the woods, and a blazing fire in a 44 gallon drum at 38 miles to warm the hands. I really don’t understand why this event is not more popular: The route is good, through a mix of landscapes, and with variations every year, the spacing of checkpoints is just right, a hall is available to sleep in before and after the event. The support and organisation is of LDWA standard ie unmatched elsewhere, even at much higher prices. It’s a really enjoyable walk through the austere beauty of winter Norfolk.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law