Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - The right way to Rock?

Author: Dr. John Batham
Posted: Tue 8th Jan 2013, 13:22
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Roy has a good point too! The ultimate Challenge - no checkpoints, no food or refreshments, no self-clips - come back at 6pm and show us where you went from the track on your GPS. Folks with the most miles, and no repeated tracks, get the prizes: Gold,silver, bronze for walkers (4 or 5mph or less) and the runners (+4 or 5mph) - can check who is who from GPS data. There we are - the aging helpers problem solved at a stroke; just need one member to be Event Secretary, one (same one?) to check the GPS files. All profit, except perhaps for claims from Search & Rescue......

John
Author: Dr. John Batham
Posted: Tue 8th Jan 2013, 13:11
Paul - this has gone on for years! To runners, a LDWA Challenge Event is a cheap alternative to most pukka running events and so definitely is seen as competitive amongst their peers, hence the urge to short-cut. At 25 miles the "Rock" presumably counts as a qualifier for some of the runs? Look on the brightside, at least we get the event fees from them!

Also, some walkers are not averse to the odd short-cut in my experience.

John
Author: Roy Turner
Posted: Mon 7th Jan 2013, 21:27
Local Group: Vermuyden (South Yorks)
Paul, Now you've got me started, i've noticed this habit myself, developing over the last year or so.
Why enter, then ignore the route, Friends, Stalwart members, are all at it. Asked why?,, too muddy that bit, don't like down there, but it's a problem that's developing, also no b/pack/safety gear.
We need to state the rules, change routes, bring back the adventure/interest, or why bother to organise.
Just charge a fee, say go where you want but be back for 6pm.
Author: W. Paul Tremere
Posted: Mon 7th Jan 2013, 15:35
Whilst on checkpoint duty at both the Castle and Mowthorpe Farm on the Scarborough Rock (Jan 5th), I noticed that four runners after having their tallies clipped headed off in exactly the opposite direction to that identified in the route description. It was obvious that this was a premeditated, conscious decision and not a navigational error. I guess that they preferred to run along the road rather than across country and also saved themselves a mile or two (or three, or ?)

Their actions do not annoy me, but they do disappoint me. The Event is non competitive and certainly not a race. The objective is to share an enjoyable day and complete the challenge. No damage was done and as far as I know they arrived back safely.

I’m not into “naming and shaming”, nor am I going to “cast the first stone” as I believe that individuals have every right to do as they please. I am intrigued, however, to know the reasoning behind these actions. Why not just go out for a long run and save yourself the entry fee?

Finally, if they enjoyed the Scarborough Rock, then I belive that East Yorks achieved their objective.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law