Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - running shoes waterproof or not?

Author: Anne Wade
Posted: Tue 12th Sep 2006, 21:20
Local Group: Heart of England
After many trials with different shoes, I have worn Inov8s ever since they were launched. For the last couple of years I've worn Flyrocs, which are perfect for the mixed terrain that we encounter on long distance events - they have more support than Walshes and are therefore more comfy over long distances, but not enough support for over-pronators. Excellent grip on all surfaces, but the cushioning is inadequate for a lot of hard ground, track and road. On the Chiltern 100 my feet got very sore. They let all water in, but squeeze it out again just as quickly. The only time my feet were cold was in snow on Pillar!
I wear Thorlos short socks and they last forever!!
Author: Julie Welch
Posted: Mon 11th Sep 2006, 11:30
Local Group: London
FWIW, I find Trek cyclists' socks v comfortable and good - presumably they're made to repel all the mud and grot encountered while pedalling flat out on wet roads.
Author: Ian Koszalinski
Posted: Mon 11th Sep 2006, 10:53
Local Group: High Peak
i think you'll find it's sweat, sealskins although breathable are dependent on the outside conditions as to how breathable they are, if they are constantly wet on the outside they don't breath so well as i found out on the bullock smithy. if you think they are leaking then mud would have gotten through to your feet and stained them. on the hundred i wore a pair all the way through with coolmax liner socks which i changed every 20 mile and had no problems
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Sun 10th Sep 2006, 23:33
Local Group: Lakeland
Wet feet generally don't worry me when it's not too cold, but I have recently experimented with Sealskinz socks. I find my feet get just as wet, the socks just delay things a bit. Am I missing something?
Author: John Beardmore
Posted: Sun 30th Apr 2006, 16:47
Having water proof running shoes does not really make sense to me as the are normally low cut and it is so easy for water to go in from above.

I think it is far better to have a shoe that "drains" and to wear a good sock to keep your foot warm.

If I want to have dry feet I wear my boots and walk!

John
Posted: Mon 24th Apr 2006, 21:37
i use asics eagle gel trail and i find them very comfortable but they let me down on mud and wet grass one step forward and two steps back, i am going to try inov8 flyroc 310, i found their website quite informative about which products coped with different conditions, as for wet feet i now cover them in lanolin, but may look at these seal skin socks
Author: Neil Bromley
Posted: Mon 24th Apr 2006, 10:49
Asics Eagle Trail are Gore Tex lined and very comfortable. They resist wet grass and limited mud and are stocked by many running shops. Try Start Fitness for internet purchase. But for real boggy conditions, I agree that you may as well accept wet feet. Inov 8 shoes let water in easily - but just as easily squeeze it out! Flyroc model provides nice balance between dedicated fell running shoes and mainstream "trail" shoes and have excellent mud grip
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Thu 13th Apr 2006, 21:34
Local Group: Mid Wales
Forget any ideas about 'waterproof' running shoes. Buy running shoes you are comfortable with (as above, I wear Walshes or Inov8's). Get used to wet feet, no great problem most of the year, but in very cold weather when ice starts forming in the shoe I always wear sealskin socks. Works for me. Matt.
Posted: Wed 12th Apr 2006, 13:51
Waterproof trainers don't let the water out! I've been impressed by my recently purchased Innov8 Flyrocs for long steady runs over various terrain. You can't beat Walshes for shorter off raod stuff or racing.
Posted: Wed 12th Apr 2006, 12:36
I usually wear runnong shoes which are either water resistant or with a gortex lining, but my regular supplier is stopping these products because they say there is no demand, so what running shoes do you use regular or with some form of water resistance?

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law