Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - can you help?

Author: Dr. John Batham
Posted: Tue 8th Jan 2013, 20:24
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Agree totally David - GPS every time; modern devices easily cope with most events in terms of battery life. A paper map is useful in some circumstances but give me GPS and Satmap particularly for following a route.
Author: David Morgan
Posted: Tue 8th Jan 2013, 19:46
Local Group: South Wales
It all depends on the definition of a map for me.

I stopped using paper maps about three years ago and only use an electronic version both on my computer and GPS. In those three years I have never lost power in my unit because I always have sufficient batteries with me in order to ensure that I do not put myself in a difficult position.
When I enter an event, I will print off a map for the area from my compuer thus saving me the need to purcahse maps for an area that I may never visit again.
But, if an event said that I had to have a specific map, I'd question the organiser and ask whether my printed versions are acceptable. But I'd always prefer the electronic version. When you see them in action, you can see why they are so popular.
Author: W. Paul Tremere
Posted: Thu 3rd Jan 2013, 19:08
Local Group: East Yorkshire
I’m aware that recent technological developments have introduced electronic way finding and mapping but, participating in any LDWA Challenge Walk without a map is not recommended.

Most Event organisers provide a written route description and I am positive that one will be available for the Scarborough Rock. I believe that finding the way using this description together with a conventional “paper” map forms part of the Challenge.

A condition of entry for the Scarborough Rock is that you carry and be able to use the appropriate map.
(OS Explorer: 27 - North York Moors - Eastern area). Rest assured that you will be able to borrow one if you do not have a copy. Who knows, perhaps a friendly local will give appropriate route guidance, either before the start or along the way?

Good luck, but don’t forget your map!
Posted: Thu 3rd Jan 2013, 17:59
Hi
I would like to take part in more LDWA events this year, however I am concerned, is there a way of viewing the routes of the walks advertised on LDWA, prior to the event? For example I would like to take part in the Scarborough Rock event on the 5th of Jan, however to set off on a 16 or 24 mile walk without a map seems a little, well concerning. I subscribe to OS May my route. Advice would be welcomed.

Regards
David

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law