Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - Pennine Way for Crisis UK 2013

Author: Rose Hakin
Posted: Thu 3rd Jan 2013, 0:27
Local Group: Northumbria
Thanks for your replies. It is really useful to compare notes about different aspects of the walk. I am trying to keep my pack weight down and have managed to get the sleep, shelter and stove in at 2.3kg so I am hoping that will be manageable. I am new to wild camping and a bit apprehensive for the bits where I am on my own which probably sounds silly.The Jetsol stove is only 465g so not significant for the advantage of being a bit more flexible but I'm sure I won't want dehydrated food for the whole time

Rose
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Mon 31st Dec 2012, 18:38
Local Group: Surrey
I did this in 2009, S to N, alone. I slept in campsites at Dufton and Bryness, YHs at Malham and Kirk Yetholm, a kindly couple’s garden shed at Kirkhaugh (heavy rain), but wild camped the rest of the way. I would start looking for a spot to camp about 20 minutes before nightfall, and would generally find one within 30-40 minutes.

My pack weighed 13kg, but with modern gear you can get this down to 8kg. That’s what the hard men and women on the Spine Race (Pennine Way in January) carry, including tent, sleeping bag, food, coffin (just kidding – the organisers supply the coffins direct to the checkpoints). It’s really worth minimising weight, for a heavy pack not only slows you down, it makes the whole trip less enjoyable.

For trail walking in summer I don’t take cooking gear. Main provisions are dates and cheese, and I find I really need very little. Most of the villages have shops for stocking up. For water I carry 0.75 litre bottle full when walking, with another 1.5 to 2 litre bottles empty. When I come across an opportunity to fill up my bottle during the day, I drink any water that is left, then fill up. When evening approaches I knock on a door and ask the householder to fill all my empty bottles. Almost all have been friendly, and I’ve never been refused. I drink some of the water that night but most the following morning so I’m fully hydrated at the start of the day. Once or twice I’ve not come across a house in the evening, but within an hour or so the following morning have been able to fill up.
Posted: Sun 30th Dec 2012, 12:34
Hello Peter and Ian and thanks for replying.

I didn't get a notification of your posts which is my excuse for not replying straight away. Festive greetings anyway!
Regarding the PW, any tips would be welcome really. I am taking a tent and bag so campsite suggestions are especially welcome and I am walking S->N to keep the wind on my back. I will probably have to check in to a YH or bunkhouse to recharge, launder, pick up packages etc at least once a week. I am not a speed walker so I had planned to do the walk in 18 days (3x5 walking days plus 2/3 rest days). I will be walking alone for most of the time and I am planning to complete the walk by the 8th July so would like to hear any info or read any related blogs if possible.

10 days is amazing Peter. I use Superfeet insoles since suffering foot problems on Hadrian's wall which seem to prevent any serious foot damage.

Rose
Author: Peter Steckles
Posted: Thu 20th Dec 2012, 21:47
Local Group: East Lancashire
Hi Rose

There are many links for the PW. Just Google away and you should find plenty, covering training, pace, accommodation and most importantly safety warnings where appropriate.

Are you planning NS or SN? When we did it we went up to Kirk and ‘walked home’. It felt psychologically better than ‘walking away’ from home.

Also, how long are you planning to take for the walk? Advice would differ depending on how quickly, or slowly you plan to do the walk.

Are you planning to go it alone, or with others? Again, advice would differ I suspect.

When I did it, my trekking partner had to be back at work, so the clock was ticking and we did it in 10 days. Bit of a blur in places, and most of the skin came off my right heel, and needed careful management to allow me to finish. We had some long days, but fabulous memories.

We also had a superb lift up to Kirk by a Bird, and the same Bird parked at Edale, and ran up to Black Hill to meet us on the run in. He gave us wings. Birds do that… :) especially one named Malcolm Bird…

Now that I have retired, I plan to undertake the walk again someday, but I won’t try for 10 days. I would rather savour the walk. Might even go SN? But it won’t be for a while yet.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Author: Ian Walker
Posted: Thu 20th Dec 2012, 20:54
Local Group: South Wales
Hello Rose,

I've walked the PW twice, most recently in 2011. What sort of accommodation are you planning? I've got a couple of good camping tips, but if you're using B&Bs or youth hostels these might not be too much use to you!

Ian
Posted: Sun 16th Dec 2012, 20:34
Hello
Ihave finally got round to joining the association and hope to be able to pick the brains of any Pennine Way walkers about the walk. Any tips, information, recommendations, best and worst bits, blog links about the PW would be massively appreciated.
Rose
[url]http://rucksackrose.wordpress.com[url]

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law