Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Good news: 2013 Hundred has a full moon

Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Wed 19th Dec 2012, 9:01
Local Group: Dorset
a mere half mile ? I am sure I will get closer than that, especially if I walk towards that mysterious flickering light in the distance. .....to be continued...
Posted: Tue 18th Dec 2012, 15:20
I believe Terry Bound is putting together a document for the website with information on the interesting and historic places around the area covered by the route. However, I could post some of the tales from my "Witchcraft and Folklore of Dartmoor" book. Then again, I'm not sure you would appreciate legends of "hairy hands" or the "wishounds" whilst out on Dartmoor at night, especially as the route from Princetown is a mere half a mile from Foxtor Mires - on which Conan Doyle's Grimpen Mire was based!

There are also lots of stone rows and ancient granite crosses, barrows and the like which are also very interesting to see.
Author: Mark Garratt
Posted: Fri 14th Dec 2012, 18:14
Local Group: Heart of England
" keep on the road and off the moors " all we need now is a pub called the slaughtered lamb spooky indeed
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Fri 14th Dec 2012, 14:23
So, while keeping an eye out for werewolves, we also need to be careful not to encounter the "Beast of Bodmin". Then, on the second night, while avoiding the great Grimpen Mire on Dartmoor, we should be listening for the sound of a huge hound..

Well, that should help us forget the state of our feet.
Author: Deirdre Flegg
Posted: Wed 12th Dec 2012, 12:36
A full moon over Bodmin moor...Isn't there a chilling story about that!?
Author: Ian Walker
Posted: Mon 10th Dec 2012, 15:22
Local Group: South Wales
That's a good point; I am an amateur astronomer so do love a clear view of the Milky Way. But, on the other hand, as this is my first Hundred I think I'd sooner have the easier navigation this time!
Posted: Mon 10th Dec 2012, 13:14
...... Unlike the Northumberland 100 which had no moon. The advantage was that the stars were amazing. In one of England's least light-polluted areas you could see the Milky Way in all it's glory.
Author: Ian Walker
Posted: Mon 10th Dec 2012, 12:48
Local Group: South Wales
I just checked the lunar phase for 25 May 2013. By chance, that night is going to be right on the peak of the full moon, so we should have a reasonable amount of light right through the night. Unless it's completely covered by cloud, of course...

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law