Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - Cracked leather walking boots

Author: Alan Crispin
Posted: Mon 11th Feb 2013, 15:14
Local Group: Cornwall & Devon
For my last two pairs of boots I have been using Neatsfoot oil bought from my local equine store. The leather has stayed soft and supple, both have had Gore-Tex.
Author: Francis Hay
Posted: Wed 6th Feb 2013, 17:46
Local Group: Surrey
Interesting - I found the same on my old Meindls ie found dubbin great. With my new boots I emailed the Meindl help desk and they said use beeswax on my model (ie has Gore-Tex), so am trying it from new. So far (about 2 months) I find my boots a bit "stiffer" but maybe because they are still newish. May go back to dubbin I'll see. Tomorrow I'm off on a 30 mile walk my longest so far in the new boots, see what happens.
Author: Roy Turner
Posted: Sun 3rd Feb 2013, 14:38
Local Group: Vermuyden (South Yorks)
Francis, I agree that's what they say about Dubbin & Goretex but on my weekly 25ml walks i don't seem to suffer any damp problem's, will have to see what happen's on the 100.
I have a 1/2 used tin of Grainger's but the boot's seem dry/scuffed when cleaned after a walk.
Don't seem to get this with Dubbin still seems greasy & when dry, don't look like they require another application, but i do.
Just personal taste, i suppose, but i also feel the leather is more flexible.
Author: Francis Hay
Posted: Wed 30th Jan 2013, 16:07
Local Group: Surrey
I've been told that dubbin seals the leather so is a problem if you have a Gore-Tex type boot. A natural beeswax is best for these boots allowing them to breathe and thus not affecting the Gore-Tex. I use Granger's G-Wax - Natural Beeswax, seems good. Perhaps self evident but you must clean waxed boots really well as tiny flecks of dirt get stuck in the wax and acting like sandpaper will eventually crack the leather along the flex points. Sadly when on a long walk the dirt will collect and work into the leather before you can clean them (like the Games 100). Don't do long walks haha....
Author: David Kearns
Posted: Tue 8th Jan 2013, 10:09
I'd second that - I've always preferred Scarpa to other makes, even Zamberlan (we won't mention Brasher). But even Scarpa don't last forever and two years wear doesn't seem unreasonable - or is it just the way I treat them ?
Author: Roy Turner
Posted: Mon 7th Jan 2013, 21:53
Local Group: Vermuyden (South Yorks)
Paul, Think you may be right in thinking manufacturers now use cheaper leather.
I use Scarpa, and have gone back to useing old fashioned "Dubbin" seems better than the modern wax/creams, my thoughts anyway.
Author: Paul Easthope
Posted: Tue 20th Nov 2012, 15:21
Local Group: High Peak
I am on my third pair of Zambalan Trail Lite boots. The last pair I have had for only two years and serious cracking has occurred across the toe flexing area, resulting in wet feet even when not too wet underfoot. I walk about 800 miles per year. I always use Zambalan Hydrobloc cream for proofing after cleaning. I love these boots, they fit me fine and can walk all day without any foot problems. My previous boots have cracked but not to the same extent and so soon.
Can any member suggest a better proofing product that will keep the leather supple and reduce cracking, or a boot they have experience with that stays reasonably waterproof I have heard of Mink oil being used on leather.
I also wonder if Zambalan are now using cheaper leather. I noticed a much older post of new Zambalan Trail Lites that let water in on the first day on the Southdowns Way

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law