Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Refreshments at checkpoints

Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Tue 2nd May 2006, 8:48
Local Group: Marches
Wow. I think after all the food I ate on the Wye forest there is definately no danger of any weight loss!! Fantastic food, fantastic event. Great mix of sweet and savoury and definately helped keep my brain in gear for the difficult night section. Well done.
Author: Anne Wade
Posted: Fri 28th Apr 2006, 20:09
Local Group: Heart of England
I agree with Geoff - it doesn't really matter what food etc is provided as long as we know and can prepare accordingly. I have learned from bitter experience that it pays to study the route and to look at the distances between checkpoints and to try to establish what will be on offer when you get there. I always carry extra rations that I know I can tolerate, just in case, also planning when I will eat and/or drink them. In addition, many people find savoury food more palatable than endless sweet things. As the 'foodie' for A Coventry Way (3rd Sept this year), I have done quite a lot of research into food provision and I know how long it takes to organise, shop, make the goodies and distribute them to CPs etc. So, I'm always very grateful for any food provided and, as Garfield says, it's good for the psychology to be greeted with a choice of yummy things to eat. It gives you a real boost for the next section of the event too. Looking forward to Wye Forest 50 tomorrow!!
Author: Mike Buckley
Posted: Fri 28th Apr 2006, 0:34
Local Group: Heart of England
Those who make judgements about the quality of provision on events are best equipped to do so when they have been involved on the other side of the checkpoint table. Thanks to our helpers on the 5L+P both from the group and from Church Lench and Staffs groups for making our first event a success. Well done Bob Mitchell for bringing it all together. Mike Buckley
Posted: Thu 27th Apr 2006, 13:00
Looking forward to the food then on the Wye 50! I think the majority of events I have attended have provided superb sustenance, with the odd one or two lacking substantially. Another minor annoyance (although I don't want to appear ungrateful!!) occured last year is when the food wasn't ready at the checkpoint and you had to order it and wait for it to be prepared. I was waiting nearly half an hour at a checkpoint for beans on toast as a large group appeared at the same time. Isn't it far better(and easier for all concerned) to have a huge pan of something kept warm - such as stew which can be dished up instantly when you arrive? I must say the organisation on the Woldsman was fantastic, with the warm meal half way dished up instantly you arrived.
Posted: Wed 26th Apr 2006, 20:45
There is certainly a difference between events organised by the LDWA and those that are not. My sister and I make a special point of doing events organised by Dorset or Cornwall & Devon for the food alone! Anyone entering the Wye Forest 50 this weekend may rest assured that refreshments means both food and drink.
Author: Paul Miller
Posted: Thu 20th Apr 2006, 20:31
Recently participated in the Calderdale Hike (non LDWA) on a very windy, cold day with plenty of hail showers. In my opinion the refreshment stops were extremely poor. On a 38 mile walk (not 35 as advertised) there was only 1 indoor checkpoint which was very early in the walk, and only 2 that had hot drinks (one of which was the early CP). Food only consisted of biscuits and in one case some crumbs on the back seat of a car !! For a walk that was pleading for participants (they wrote to previous walkers), they have not done much to encourage me back.
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Thu 13th Apr 2006, 22:18
Local Group: Mid Wales
Rebecca, I'm presuming that you were on the Black Mountain R.? Just worth noting that this is NOT an event organised by the ldwa, but by the Newport Outdoor Group. In Strider it states that 2 checkpoints have "refreshments", later it says "& drinks at 2Cps", easily mis-interpreted. I think one problem is that those used to participating in ldwa events take it for granted that "refreshments" isn't far off a full meal sometimes !! We are a bit spoilt by most event organisers, and sometimes get caught out when others organise walks - it pays to read the small print. Come and join us on the Rhayader Mountain Trail, I promise you will receive sufficient sustenance.
Posted: Tue 11th Apr 2006, 17:18
I have been caught out twice now, most recently this weekend on a challenge walk in Wales. I mis interpreted the word 'refreshments' on the walk details to mean food and drink.If it is just drinks only, I would call this a 'drinks stop', not refreshments.If the walk includes drinks stops only, then they should make that very clear onl the entry form.Just stating 'food should be carried'isn't good enough as a lot of events say this even though there is plenty of food en route.Although I enjoyed the walk this weekend I was starving hungry by the end of it having just carried small snacks with me. There wasn't even anywhere to buy food.
Author: Geoff Saunders
Posted: Mon 10th Apr 2006, 10:05
Local Group: Merseystride
Personally I am just as happy with the minimalist events as I am with the providers of sumptuous goodies - as long as I know beforehand. If I am expecting much and being given little, I might well not be carrying enough to get by. Conversely, if I expect nothing and get lots, my sack might be necessarily overburdened.

The problem arises from the rogue word "refreshments" which might mean anything from a cup of water to a plateful of home-made cakes. Organisers get a lot of publicity from Strider. Can't the LDWA demand that they don't use the r-word in the details of their events?
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Sun 9th Apr 2006, 19:16
Local Group: Merseystride
If an event denotes that refreshments will be available at a certain checkpoint what does that lead you to expect ? I enjoy turning up at a checkpoint and finding sandwiches, cakes, biscuits etc - as well as tea and water etc. I would happily pay a bit more for the entry fee to ensure this. I always do carry enough food to more than cover an event without refreshments but since these are usually high-carb cereal bars they will always keep. Besides, the psychological top-up obtained from a good food-stop is very strong. Thoughts ?

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law