Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Lightweight - trainers or boots?

Posted: Sun 18th Nov 2012, 17:28
I wear North Face Hedgehog GTX shoes for a lot of my walking and backpacking. Only problem is if water gets in over the top as it cant get back out again with a Goretex ling. However they now do a boot version of the shoe, which is basically the shoe with a higher bit added to the top, so can't be that much heavier and will keep the water out better. They are on my next purchase list.
Dave.
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Sun 11th Nov 2012, 16:57
Local Group: Mid Wales
For those who are undecided on which to wear for walking, here is something interesting I found out today.
I wear inov8 Roclite 320 trainers for walking/jogging, one benefit over boots being that they are lighter (I thought).
Jane recently bought a pair of inov8 gtx boots, leather with some sort of goretex liner. They are very light, have the same tread as my trainers (she doesn't slip over - quite so much!) and the most comfy footwear she has ever put on for walking. Great in fact, does anyone else wear them?

We've been out for 3 hours today and in the first hour went through some puddles, so my trainers were waterlogged as usual, then the next 2 hours on forest tracks & road etc. which was all dry. At home I weighed one of boots & shoes.
Her (now dry) walking boot = 345 grams. My (still sodden) trainer = 460 grams. So in the wet, my pair of lightweight trainers are a good 8oz heavier than her leather walking boots. Matt.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law