Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Calderdale Hike 8th April 2006

Author: Alan Greenwood
Posted: Fri 2nd Jun 2006, 18:41
Local Group: Calderdale
I did 35.8 miles on this event with about 6000 feet of climbing. If you wish I can send you my tracklog route so that if it is the same next year we start on a level playing field. Admittedly there are 2 or 3 obvious direct bits across open land, which I took, but that is what the CH is about i.e. finding the shortest route. I believe the organisers are not entirely certain what is the correct route. The official map posted at the start left out a visit to the Lumbutts checkpoint. Of course it does help to be a member of Calderdale Group and our social walk the previous weekend covered some of the tricky bits.
Alan Greenwood
Author: Paul Miller
Posted: Thu 20th Apr 2006, 20:35
My GPS recorded 61.5 Km (38.17 miles) and 2850 Metres (9350 Ft) of ascent.

As stated in a previous thread, the refreshments were extremely poor.
Author: Geoff Saunders
Posted: Sun 9th Apr 2006, 20:03
Local Group: Merseystride
I didn't do the Calderdale this year but I had done the previous ten. You can usually rely on it to be considerably longer than the published 35 miles.

This year's route has been used several times before - most recently in 2003. Using old-fashioned methods of map-measuring and contour-counting, I made it 39.4 miles and nearly 6000 feet of ascent. GPS will always get more because it counts all the little twiddly bits that don't show on a map. (That's why I stay with my method - at least I am comparing like with like and I'm not frightening myself silly).
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Sun 9th Apr 2006, 19:09
Local Group: Merseystride
This event is known to be a toughie but this was even tougher ! Most people I spoke to towards the end of the walk agreed and multiple GPS's confimed the ascent as being close to 8000 ft and the distance to just under 40 miles !! Maybe this accounts for my slower time? (Think Naismith) ... plus frequent hail storms and gale-force winds (especially on Blackstone Edge). Conditions underfoot were what you'd expect - deleriously gloopy ! The organisation at the start and end were as good as ever and people on the checkpoints friendly and helpful. My only quibble was the lack of food and drink at checkpoints. This led me to ponder what one can reasonably expect from an event and I'll start a thread elsewhere on this. Otherwise this maintained the CH as a foremost event in ours - and runners - calenders. I hope the event manages to keep going - it would be a sad loss if it were to disappear from our list - Garfield

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law